Not new to they hobby, but we have been out of it for so long, we might as well be.

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title pretty much explains why I'm posting. We had a 55g MANY years ago and ended up getting a horrible green hair algae problem, so we just got rid of everything. We now have he fever again, but we are soo rusty. We found a 28g JBJ HQI tank for $100 or so. Obviously for the price, the tank is used. I want to clean it up - get rid of all the coralline algae build up on the back wall - I want it totally clean. I've been told to fill the tank up with water and put in a lot of distilled white vinegar and some elbow grease. Is this true? If so, how much? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike007 - I actually bought 2 gallons last night - is that enough, or more? We are going take this set-up very slow. I purchased dry rock, as I don't want deal with hitch hikers. That's the reason we got the algae bloom. Lesson learned.....NEVER buy rock from someone you don't know. We are so excited about setting up the new tank.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Vinegar is your best bet so good advice there. I would use more than the 2 gallons personally if I did it. It's cheap enough and will save you in the long run. A nice sharp new razor will also help with tough spots. Just be careful with it you can scratch the glass.

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity...other than helping with the coralline algae, what are the other benefits of using the vinegar?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinegar will break down any calcified material on the glass and other parts of the tank. Just plain water will not. It's going to take some elbow grease but it will come cleaner easier with the vinegar.
Here's my tank before
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419909045.636172.jpg

And after
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419909078.247001.jpg

I did that with out even soaking it. I sprayed with a spray bottle and uses a towel soaked in vinegar that I laid on some tough spots for a bit. With the smaller tank I think soaking will work great.

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice kschweer! We are very excited to start up again! I have a feeling my tennis elbow will be getting a workout :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back