Not saltwater fish, but...finally got eggs!!

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update pic. I know the glass is starting to get algae, but I don't want to disturb the egg tumbler.
IMG_3283.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good job on creating the space for the Frontosa to breed and thank you for sharing the Egg development pictures! How many fish are in the breeding harem and what is the sex ratio?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, they're looking great. Do you need to setup a new tank for them or can they go back in with mom and dad when they get bigger?

After they reach 3+ inches, they can go back in with the big fish, some people put them back in when they are 1.5-2", but I feel like that is risky, even though Fronstosa are slow and somewhat clumsy when they get big. I keep tabs on the offspring to avoid inbreeding.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job on creating the space for the Frontosa to breed and thank you for sharing the Egg development pictures! How many fish are in the breeding harem and what is the sex ratio?

2 males and 3 females. One male is slightly bigger and is the dominant male, the smaller male keeps the dominant male from being lazy by trying to mate with the females.

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tang cichlids, it’s a shame their popularity is limited. In many ways they remind me of marine species. My favorites are Xenotilpia and Cyathopharynx. Fronts are obviously beautiful as well.

Are yours cb or wc?

JaviNap90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason i left the fresh water hobby is because i lost my Frontosa colony to a broken aquarium. I was without a tank for like three days and my air pumps failed on me a lost 6 of my biggest. My favorite Fresh Water fish by far. I was devastated and reason why i got into Salt.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason i left the fresh water hobby is because i lost my Frontosa colony to a broken aquarium. I was without a tank for like three days and my air pumps failed on me a lost 6 of my biggest. My favorite Fresh Water fish by far. I was devastated and reason why i got into Salt.

Sorry to hear that, one of my biggest fears. I keep extra pumps, powerheads, tubs and filters for that reason. Definitely my favorite freshwater fish too.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tang cichlids, it’s a shame their popularity is limited. In many ways they remind me of marine species. My favorites are Xenotilpia and Cyathopharynx. Fronts are obviously beautiful as well.

Are yours cb or wc?

This group is F1, the fry are F2. I have a group of wild caught, but I prefer captive bred.

I know a lot of people go crazy about their wild frontosa and their lake spots, but I have had F1 fish develop the spots too, not sure how, but I am not a fan of the spots.

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More update pics. They are getting ready to be moved to a 20 Long grow out.
IMG_3308.jpg

There is a little guy that is developing slowly (middle left), I hope he makes it, if he does make it I may separate him and keep him by himself till he catches up.
IMG_3325.jpg
They've really darkened up. Good job with them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back