Not saltwater fish, but...finally got eggs!!

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fry progressing? Did you get them in a grow out tank?

They are in a grow out tank now. The one that was developing slower than the rest is not doing so well. I don't think he is going to make it. I'll try to get update pics of the fry, kinda difficult because they all disperse and glare.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very difficult to snap a picture of the fry, as soon as I get close to the tank they disperse and the glare is not great. Here is their temporary grow out, they'll be moved to a 75 gallon soon. 25 healthy fry plus 1 is so so.
IMG_3550.jpg

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish! Fun fact...in the wild frontosa subsist primarily on Cyprichromis, the sardine cichlids. Frontosa are relatively slow and 'Cyps' are hyperactive schooling fishes, so the Frontosa wait until the sardine cichlids go to sleep at night...and then gobble them up as they sleep! :eek: Needless to say, don't keep frontosa with Cyprichromis. (This sluggish lifestyle also allows frontosa to live over two decades)

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, didn't know that they eat them. Thanks for sharing that info about them. Hopefully they are with me for more than 2 decades.

I've seen them hunt, quite a funny sight, but they are successful. They are quite clumsy, slow and unfortunately very skittish. I hand feed them, but if I walk past they tank they always panic and hide.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing with the fry? I have a fresh water friend local to me that might be interested he has some impressive tanks. DM me, he is not on here.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing with the fry? I have a fresh water friend local to me that might be interested he has some impressive tanks. DM me, he is not on here.

Hello. Thanks for the interest, but they are not available. Just sharing the fry progression, thought it would be neat to show the transformation from egg to fry and to see them grow.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I got excited about a successful brood. Now I have 30 yellow tail acei, 20 yellow labs and 10 OB peacocks and nowhere for them to go. I have made some money but the market is saturated.

Are you putting these in your display? What will you do about ratio issues?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experince, Blue Zaire Moba Frontosa are not as easy to breed, so people usually want/pay for frontosa fry, in my area they sell for $35-45each @ 1.5-2" size.

I will put them in my display once they are about 3". I'll part with a few down the road when they get bigger. I can only house soo many. haha

I am on the same boat, I had unplanned fry and they are not that easy to rehome, but people do slowly get them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back