Not sure I should have bought the conch

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I got the idea that a fighting conch would be a good addition to my Display Tank. I hear they are a real good part of CUC and it would be cool to watch them. There was a local reef swap today and there was a vendor with some livestock. He had some fighting conchs in plastic containers and my first thought was they seem bigger than I expected. They were all about 3" long and about the size of 10yr olds fist. So fast forward a few hours and I am driving home I acclimate and place it in the tank. It makes a few jerky moves where it extends its foot and twists the shell and I was surprised at the power it had. After watching for 10 minutes as it moved a few items on the sand bed like bull running the streets in Pamplona I decided to put it in the sump. I know they cant climb the glass but I was surprised it ran into things on the sandbed. Maybe poor planning on my part for lack of research but do you think it will like the 20 gals sump if i feed it? I have an open sump with fuge too. Maybe a warning to others. Anyone else have any similar experience? Thanks

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it could possibly be a different type of conch rather than the common aquarium fighting conch?

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger they are the more stuff they run into/knock over. He will probably do well in your fuge. Every conch I've ever owned eventually perished due to lack of food.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I got the idea that a fighting conch would be a good addition to my Display Tank. I hear they are a real good part of CUC and it would be cool to watch them. There was a local reef swap today and there was a vendor with some livestock. He had some fighting conchs in plastic containers and my first thought was they seem bigger than I expected. They were all about 3" long and about the size of 10yr olds fist. So fast forward a few hours and I am driving home I acclimate and place it in the tank. It makes a few jerky moves where it extends its foot and twists the shell and I was surprised at the power it had. After watching for 10 minutes as it moved a few items on the sand bed like bull running the streets in Pamplona I decided to put it in the sump. I know they cant climb the glass but I was surprised it ran into things on the sandbed. Maybe poor planning on my part for lack of research but do you think it will like the 20 gals sump if i feed it? I have an open sump with fuge too. Maybe a warning to others. Anyone else have any similar experience? Thanks
I am just here for the Bulls of Pamplona reference lol....well done. I have a Strawberry Conch, about 2 inches, seems more peaceful. Might be just fine in the sump....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3" is huge and post a pic to confirm it IS a fighting conch

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not sound like a fighting conch. I think you may have something different. Also I wouldn't keep her in the sump. It is likely to survive, but will not be happy.

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three that are about 2" that do same thing. Bulldozes anything in the sand. He knocked over my Maxima clam a few times before it attached to rubble in the sand. My tank is 200 gallons and they do a great job keeping the sand clean. Also, very fun to watch move around the tank

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fighting conchs, each in separate tanks. I find them on the glass all the time. It is highly entertaining to watch them on the glass. The Inappropriate Reefer has huge conch in his mangrove tank. It is the size of a fist.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 fighting conches, all around 2”. I have had them in my 75 gallon for 2 years. They have never knocked anything over for me, maybe im lucky lol. They are the best sand cleaners ive ever owned. 10/10 would reccommend to anyone that can sustain them.

OP
OP
ReeferLou

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• PXL_20210308_005613201.jpg
    PXL_20210308_005613201.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 178

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good pic. You have caribbean species ( florida and bahamas)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back