Not sure if chaeto is safe ???

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some chaeto at my lfs But then I was reading some posts where people said they got pests, aptasia and other things buying from a local fish store, now I’m not so sure I should put it in my refute him and I don’t want to take a chance of anything bad getting into my tank is there any way of treating it ?

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about treating it but you could put it in a small container and with gloves or proper tools, pull it apart and check.
You will at least see some larger pest, bristle worms etc.

Hopefully someone else has tips otherwise, maybe just return it and say, no thanks and go to Algae Barn.

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this!
The chaeto should handle copper just fine. But it might leach copper out later and marine invertebrates are very sensitive to copper. Just say no. It sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

If you want to get rid of pests, you could dip the chaeto in one of the popular coral dips and that should put paid to most things that might be in it. You could even keep it in the dip for far longer than you would corals like a couple of hours. After dipping, I would rinse very thoroughly in salt water and do it several times.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing bad that a fresh water dip can kill, all I would do is observe for Aipatasia if you see any just cut that piece and Chuck it.

here’s a test we’re Aipatasia was submerged in tap water for 8 minutes, they all survived.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it under the tap (right temperature), then an extra freshwater dip for a minute or so in a transparant container so you can look for strange things, then put it in your sump.
I did this as well except I forgot about mine in the container for about 10 minutes. The chaeto was fine and I didn't see anything on the bottom other than what looked like substrate. I hope 10 mins in freshwater took care of any pests if there were any. :)

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered the “right temperature “?
Your tank temperature or the temperature of the water it is coming in. Cold water may probably be fine too but it is a little effort to bring some temperature in. (Too) hot water i wouldn't do.

Last edited:

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing bad that a fresh water dip can kill, all I would do is observe for Aipatasia if you see any just cut that piece and Chuck it.

here’s a test we’re Aipatasia was submerged in tap water for 8 minutes, they all survived.

A good rinse under the tap is more agressive than just a dip though. Your chaeto will be clean as a whistle. I use the dip after the rinse for a final observation.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rinse under the tap is more agressive than just a dip though. Your chaeto will be clean as a whistle. I use the dip after the rinse for a final observation.
I tent to disagree until further evidence

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from algae barn.. is it pricey? Yes. Am I sure it didn't have any pests? Yes

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from algae barn.. is it pricey? Yes. Am I sure it didn't have any pests? Yes
Because they sold me grape caleurpa instead of chaeto and because I found a few pests after dipping I decided it wasn’t worth the risk and tossed it. I’ll use the Chaeto from algae barn.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they sold me grape caleurpa instead of chaeto and because I found a few pests after dipping I decided it wasn’t worth the risk and tossed it. I’ll use the Chaeto from algae barn.

Cool, my chaeto from algae barn came in looking great.

They are typically out of stock on it, but if you get on their email list they'll notify you when it is (usually fridays).

Just be sure to check your spam/promotional folders in your email.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, my chaeto from algae barn came in looking great.

They are typically out of stock on it, but if you get on their email list they'll notify you when it is (usually fridays).

Just be sure to check your spam/promotional folders in your email.
It’s funny they’re out of stock on the tennis ball size but you can get the golf ball or softball size, lol I’m probably going with softball since mine is almost completely gone image.jpg

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny they’re out of stock on the tennis ball size but you can get the golf ball or softball size, lol I’m probably going with softball since mine is almost completely gone image.jpg

I went with the tennis ball, it was more than enough to get it going. But I've heard the more the better... so don't think you can go wrong with the softball size.

It spread out more than you think though. This was my "tennis ball" right after I put it in and unfurled it a bit.

20211027_153130.jpg

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the tennis ball, it was more than enough to get it going. But I've heard the more the better... so don't think you can go wrong with the softball size.

It spread out more than you think though. This was my "tennis ball" right after I put it in and unfurled it a bit.

20211027_153130.jpg
They’re out of stock on it all now and it’s not letting me ask to be notified when it’s back in stock ‍♀️ I’ll just keep checking back

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back