Not sure what to do next.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, dinos. Specifically prorocentrum

I’ve been dosing phosphate, H202, silicate, blackouts, manual removal through a filter sock, and feeding more. Also added phyto. I’m not seeing nearly the same numbers as I used to, and I’m getting some good GFA and diatom growth, along with a flowing forest of GHA. I’m still seeing growth of dinos on the algae as well as on the glass. Here’s a video of a greenish white strand of dino covered algae. Anyways, what should I do next? Should I just wait, start adding a cleanup crew again, or do something else? #reefsquad
This is getting awfully frustrating because the algae is starting to smother the very few corals I have left, and I’m not sure I can add a clean up crew yet. What is my next step

Attachments

• IMG_2754.MOV
    10.5 MB

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always increased nutrients until algae started growing (as it sounds like it is in your case) after 1-2 weeks of algae and dino growth I add a oversized UV and they go away. This works for me and I've done this on 3 new tanks with dinos in the last 12 months.
Oh and patience, its not an overnight fix, but if you follow these steps the dinos should be gone within 14 days of adding UV, again this is just my experience. I use the Jebao uvs, they are cheap and do the job.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always increased nutrients until algae started growing (as it sounds like it is in your case) after 1-2 weeks of algae and dino growth I add a oversized UV and they go away. This works for me and I've done this on 3 new tanks with dinos in the last 12 months.
Oh and patience, its not an overnight fix, but if you follow these steps the dinos should be gone within 14 days of adding UV, again this is just my experience. I use the Jebao uvs, they are cheap and do the job.
This tank is only ten gallons and I have been running the green killing machine for almost 2 months. I don’t think UV is particularly effective, but I am blowing the rocks and dosing h202 which might help.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, dinos can flourish in those values. How are you measuring phosphate?

I’m measuring using the Hannah checker. I’m dosing phosphates, the reason they are undetectable is because the algae is consuming it. My problem is what do I do now?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m measuring using the Hannah checker. I’m dosing phosphates, the reason they are undetectable is because the algae is consuming it. My problem is what do I do now?
That's a good question. I would stick with manually removing as much algea as possible with a small siphon, like a small tube or some people even use a steel straw on the end of the tube.

If you are using the ULR Hanna checker, then keep dosing a tiny bit of P to target at least 0.05 or so ppm while trying to keep hair algae in check. The algae is much better to have around than dinos.

Keep up the faith. You'll get it cleared up. A small clean up crew can help with the diatoms, but can’t do much for hair or dinos

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back