Not sure what yellow tang has?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like flukes which can be fairly transparent. They won't show up well in pictures and can look like raised areas on fish in the proper light.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad used to plop fish with Lympho down on a cutting board, use a razor blade to cut the nodules off and then apply mercurochrome for good measure. :eek:

His son figured out you can just wait it out and usually the nodules go away on their own. ;)

I really hope all he has is lympho [emoji51]

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it was next to impossible to get this shot so I hope you guys can see it.

Enhanced:
1a5d818aa9de70d5f3d7711082054ee7.jpg

Original:
78502855a1dc0ec3674b45725d3f9949.jpg

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's great. I'm gonna be completely honest I've never had the experience with something like this before and I don't think I'm really equipped for this. So it looks like I have some shopping to do on the weekend. The only two things I have to help a fish out is melafix and pimafix so im gonna have to do some research now.
Thank you guys for the help.

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question. If I were to setup a QT tank over the weekend would I have to completely cycle the tank? Or could I just do very frequent water changes?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question. If I were to setup a QT tank over the weekend would I have to completely cycle the tank? Or could I just do very frequent water changes?

Very frequent water changes. You'll want a filter on it and to seed it with bacteria. It will cycle, but the water changes will be needed until that happens.

Pump-a-Sump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's great. I'm gonna be completely honest I've never had the experience with something like this before and I don't think I'm really equipped for this. So it looks like I have some shopping to do on the weekend. The only two things I have to help a fish out is melafix and pimafix so im gonna have to do some research now.
Thank you guys for the help.

"The only true source of knowledge is experience, and with experience comes wisdom"
My first run-in with Ich was back in 1989. I learned the hard way. There are a lot of experienced members here, with good advice. Your Tang will be fine. He is in good hands my friend :)

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The only true source of knowledge is experience, and with experience comes wisdom"
My first run-in with Ich was back in 1989. I learned the hard way. There are a lot of experienced members here, with good advice. Your Tang will be fine. He is in good hands my friend :)

Thank you [emoji4], I appreciate.

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update as well. So this morning I inspected the body of the fish and most of the bumps that were in my previous picture are actually gone which partially makes me feel some relief but also sort of worries me. I'm not really sure what to say?? It looks like the things growing on his fins is starting to spread more along the fins but the bumps on the body are just gone. It leads me to believe whatever it was may have just been irritation but I don't actually know what I'm talking about so I'm still thinking he may early signs of ich that are just changing.

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like flukes which can be fairly transparent. They won't show up well in pictures and can look like raised areas on fish in the proper light.

Thoughts?

I am very sorry I missed your comment there a while back. But ya now it's starting to look like that's a possibility. I'm not actually sure what flukes really are but whatever it was it isn't there anymore.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update as well. So this morning I inspected the body of the fish and most of the bumps that were in my previous picture are actually gone which partially makes me feel some relief but also sort of worries me. I'm not really sure what to say?? It looks like the things growing on his fins is starting to spread more along the fins but the bumps on the body are just gone. It leads me to believe whatever it was may have just been irritation but I don't actually know what I'm talking about so I'm still thinking he may early signs of ich that are just changing.

I'll confirm Ich for you. You'll want to pull all the fish from the display and treat in a QT. Leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days to clear the parasite from the display as well. Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As part of the ich life-cycle they drop off the fish to reproduce, and then the newly hatched parasites come back to re-infect with a vengeance. You need to take action sooner than later, even if he looks "better" now. @melypr1985 gave good advice above

OP
OP
thegriffer

thegriffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm gonna have to go setup a qt on the weekend. What tank size would you guys recommend? The only fish I have are two ocellaris and obviously the yellow tang but he is pretty little.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm gonna have to go setup a qt on the weekend. What tank size would you guys recommend? The only fish I have are two ocellaris and obviously the yellow tang but he is pretty little.

If the tang is pretty small ~2 inches or so, a 20 long might work. Otherwise like a 40 breeder so the tang doesn't go crazy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back