Not sure what's going on

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEED HELP!
Within a day this happened. My sump baffles had messed up i got some silicone to fix is the only change to the tank. Chalice is bleaching. The stunner has like slime. Corals on the frag rack seem to be doing better than everything on the rocks
PXL_20210727_131819878.jpg
PXL_20210727_130641446.jpg
PXL_20210727_130631301.jpg
PXL_20210727_130616675.jpg
PXL_20210727_130626337.jpg
PXL_20210727_125102730.jpg
PXL_20210721_191507615.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifetime mold free it says on tubing = chemicals /pesticides or whatever it is they put in silicone you choose and you didn't use 100% silicone would be my guess

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use silicone with mold inhibitors like the others have said, honestly id be scrapping as much of that stuff out of the tank asap. The only ge silicone ive had luck with is ge silicone 1, they recently changed the packaging though so its your risk if they changed the formula. Honestly its worth the extra 10 bucks or however much to get a tube of "aquarium safe" silicone.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it before. It doesn’t hurt anything short term. I think the problem lies somewhere else. That tank looks brand new.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id water change, run carbon, and scrape as much of it out as possible.. if you cant get it all, seal the rest over with aquarium safe silicone. Although silicone doesnt adhere well to itself better than nothing. Pretty sure it will continue to leach mold inhibitors for a long time.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it before. It doesn’t hurt anything short term. I think the problem lies somewhere else. That tank looks brand new.
I think it's the silicone only because i didn't let it cure full 24 hours i did about 19 thinking I'll be ok because it was hot. That's the only change to the tank.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah says 100% silicone but also says mold free so implies some kind chemicals in it to stop mold.
Just like mcdonalds years ago and some other big companies said " made from 100% chicken breast" yeah was 100% chicken breast used to make it but isnt just chicken in it if get me.
If thats only thing thats changed,and you getting problems.maybe best to use an aquarium safe rated silicone that the masses use ( so i know ball ache but cut out and reseal them baffles) and maybe run some carbon or something to take the chemicals out the water if this is the case.
But im no expert on sealing aquariums. Only know what i know from reading fwiw. But sure others can give more experienced views on this.
Good luck

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the silicone only because i didn't let it cure full 24 hours i did about 19 thinking I'll be ok because it was hot. That's the only change to the tank.
Maybe your right as it does say uncured product causes irritants bottom right of tube.
Idk enough about silicone properties unfortunately

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have stated, your tank looks incredibly new. The rocks still look white and look like they're just about to start the ugly phase. Looking at your build thread it looks like your tank is only 1-2 months old. I didn't buy corals for 5 months and when I did I started with 1 coral and waited 2 months to see growth before I added more. This wasn't because I couldn't afford it, it's because I wanted to have the best success at keeping them alive.

From my research silicone should cure for a full 7 days before aquarium use.

My advice:

Immediately: yank those corals and see if a more experienced reefer will temporarily take them for you. Pull whatever you put silicone on and do more research to see if it is reef safe. This will also allow it to cure longer. Run carbon and do water changes.

Longer term:
Slow down. Do more research.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have stated, your tank looks incredibly new. The rocks still look white and look like they're just about to start the ugly phase. Looking at your build thread it looks like your tank is only 1-2 months old. I didn't buy corals for 5 months and when I did I started with 1 coral and waited 2 months to see growth before I added more. This wasn't because I couldn't afford it, it's because I wanted to have the best success at keeping them alive.

From my research silicone should cure for a full 7 days before aquarium use.

My advice:

Immediately: yank those corals and see if a more experienced reefer will temporarily take them for you. Pull whatever you put silicone on and do more research to see if it is reef safe. This will also allow it to cure longer. Run carbon and do water changes.

Longer term:
Slow down. Do more research.
Tank is new going on 4 months. corals have been fine for couple months to a few weeks. I got a free hammer from a friend and it sat for about a month with no issues so then a i got a few corals. Overnight after i silicone the sump this seemed to be the issue. You live and u learn. Obviously i don't want to lose any corals but it happens. The corals on the rack are doing better than those on the rocks. My balstos are still doing great and my acans and favia i don't know if they are hardier or what.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is new going on 4 months. corals have been fine for couple months to a few weeks. I got a free hammer from a friend and it sat for about a month with no issues so then a i got a few corals. Overnight after i silicone the sump this seemed to be the issue. You live and u learn. Obviously i don't want to lose any corals but it happens. The corals on the rack are doing better than those on the rocks. My balstos are still doing great and my acans and favia i don't know if they are hardier or what.

LOL sorry, re-read my post sometimes when you write something it just doesn't come out properly. It sounds incredibly preachy.

I still think that silicone is likely the issue that is causing your corals to slime coat. I would pull that part, do wc and run carbon. Urge caution on those corals, your tank looks incredibly clean looking for 4 months old. Do you know your Nitrate and phosphate numbers? I'd watch those, my guess is they are not balanced which can cause issues like cyno or dinos and cause corals to starve.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL sorry, re-read my post sometimes when you write something it just doesn't come out properly. It sounds incredibly preachy.

I still think that silicone is likely the issue that is causing your corals to slime coat. I would pull that part, do wc and run carbon. Urge caution on those corals, your tank looks incredibly clean looking for 4 months old. Do you know your Nitrate and phosphate numbers? I'd watch those, my guess is they are not balanced which can cause issues like cyno or dinos and cause corals to starve.
My nitrates are going down so are my phosphates. But nitrates are 30 were at 56 2 weeks ago and my phosphates are .71 and were at .92 i know that my phosphates are high but I'm tryna bring them down slowly over time without having to dose i don't want to keep adding to my tank a chemical to get it down and run into issues. If u can't get it down with just water changes and less feeding there's a bigger issue. I don't want to just put a bandaid over it i want to know what's the issue and I think i was over feeding and not keeping up with weekly water changes. Now everything is starting to go down.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are going down so are my phosphates. But nitrates are 30 were at 56 2 weeks ago and my phosphates are .71 and were at .92 i know that my phosphates are high but I'm tryna bring them down slowly over time without having to dose i don't want to keep adding to my tank a chemical to get it down and run into issues. If u can't get it down with just water changes and less feeding there's a bigger issue. I don't want to just put a bandaid over it i want to know what's the issue and I think i was over feeding and not keeping up with weekly water changes. Now everything is starting to go down.

And you're ok not everything comes out how intended because it's a text lol ur good

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api notorious for giving 0.25 amnonia readings so take it you used to get 0 amnonia on api test kit before used silicone? Milky yellow colour?

Edit: if pull that vial away from colour card and have natural daylight behind you it looks like a more yellow colour to me than lime green ?

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api notorious for giving 0.25 amnonia readings so take it you used to get 0 amnonia on api test kit before used silicone? Milky yellow colour?
Yes was def lower than this i kept reading the back seen what it said and tested and this looks like the silicone wasn't cured all the way

Back