Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is "Going Slow" the most controversial reefing topic?

I could be wrong, but I presume everyone has heard the old reefer's motto:

"Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank."

I don't know who said it first, but they were dead on.

So how is it that, regardless of experience or circumstance, we all still seem to have tanks full of fish (and usually corals too) within six months or a year when we start out?

And why is it that when the "go slow" thing is brought up that we all seem to think we're going as slow as possible "because I see everyone else doing it this way".

Lastly, why is it that we don't connect our poor results (sick fish, etc) up with our disregard of this rule?

I don't get it. :) Do you?

I know there are folks who do go slow...you are exceptions that prove the rule. It would be great if some of you would share your experiences.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I presume everyone has heard the old reefer's motto:

"Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank."

I don't know who said it first, but they were dead on.

Most newer hobbyist I believe have not heard the motto. The pressure to have the instant reef is strong.

So how is it that, regardless of experience or circumstance, we all still seem to have tanks full of fish (and usually corals too) within six months or a year when we start out?

The industry is partially to blame. It's the industry that is promoting products that may or may not make the instant tank possible. Human nature for instant gratification is in play. Sure you can have a beautiful box of fish or corals instantly but that box will fail long term even short term.

And why is it that when the "go slow" thing is brought up that we all seem to think we're going as slow as possible "because I see everyone else doing it this way".

Slow is a subjective term. To cycle a system to me took at least 6 weeks. Hobbyist are now encouraged to start fulling stocking with fish and corals at 6 weeks and much sooner. GFO, probiotics, carbon dosing, bacteria in a bottle, dips. Concept that tanks wax and wane, those same systems experiencing chemistry swings. Slow is no longer 6-8 weeks or more.

Lastly, why is it that we don't connect our poor results (sick fish, etc) up with our disregard of this rule?

I don't get it. :) Do you?

No I do not get it. The hobby is a passion, not a race, not a passing whim, but I am old school.

I know there are folks who do go slow...you are exceptions that prove the rule. It would be great if some of you would share your experiences.

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what made you start this thread ... how about you do things your way and let everyone else do things there way ? Appreciate your trying to help but not everyone wants a big empty glass box with 1 tiny frag and 1 snail in for 12 months. Jeez get over it

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what made you start this thread ... how about you do things your way and let everyone else do things there way ? Appreciate your trying to help but not everyone wants a big empty glass box with 1 tiny frag and 1 snail in for 12 months. Jeez get over it

Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for. I think the original poster is just trying to start a thread for new hobbyist with the general rule of thumb that reef tanks need patience. They need patience in all aspects of this hobby from water changes to testing to stocking of fish and coral. It took me years to stock my tank. It took me years to understand water quality (still learning). It took months to establish a routine that when maintained works very well. Lots of reading and research.

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for. I think the original poster is just trying to start a thread for new hobbyist with the general rule of thumb that reef tanks need patience. They need patience in all aspects of this hobby from water changes to testing to stocking of fish and coral. It took me years to stock my tank. It took me years to understand water quality (still learning). It took months to establish a routine that when maintained works very well. Lots of reading and research.

The author knows what I'm on about he hijacked my thread last night with passive aggressive comments

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think we are hardwired for immediate results. It's what we are taught from day 1. Get it done. No one has a secone to stop and enjoy the process. It probably is why it is so freaking hard to go slow. Plus it's an expensive hobby. Especially at the start. All that money to stare at an empty tank. Not saying it's right, but certainly understandable. Imo

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mc I immagine every ecosystem as a stairway where every single step is occupied by some specialized organisms with a specific role in the chain of life
At last a reef tank is an ecosystem and at last since those specialized organism take their place into the tank is question of time ,stability ,and biodiversity we give to our tank

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The author knows what I'm on about he hijacked my thread last night with passive aggressive comments
Interesting. I read through your build thread. I will agree with the that you have taken things pretty quickly. Having all those tangs (including a PBT and Clown tang, both of which I believe should stay in the ocean) in a 525xl is alot of big fish in a small tank. I do agree that it is hard not to buy that certain fish or coral that you really like, but sometimes its better for you and your tank not to. Sorry to hear about the fish you lost recently. I hope that you can learn from that. With that said I agree with the OP that the go slow method is hands down the best way to go.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think it is probably the most widely accepted “rule of thumb” in the hobby. It’s just so darn hard to actually follow that rule. I didn’t have the option of going really slow with my current tank because I was moving all my livestock from a RSM 250 with a scary, water damaged stand into a 155 gallon tank with all new rock (my old rock had some algae and vermetid snails). I cured the rock for five months and added all of my livestock between the 1 and 2 month mark. I also added Bio Spira the first day and never had ammonia or nitrite. I had no losses but it took about 9 months for my acros to really seem happy.

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I read through your build thread. I will agree with the that you have taken things pretty quickly. Having all those tangs (including a PBT and Clown tang, both of which I believe should stay in the ocean) in a 525xl is alot of big fish in a small tank. I do agree that it is hard not to buy that certain fish or coral that you really like, but sometimes its better for you and your tank not to. Sorry to hear about the fish you lost recently. I hope that you can learn from that. With that said I agree with the OP that the go slow method is hands down the best way to go.

They were very small tangs but yes I have learned my lesson with that many tangs together. Pb and yellow both came from existing tank so couldn't help adding them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice topic and hitting me hard now that I have this big tank with lot's of fish swimming room! AHHHHHHH!

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered much about this very topic myself...

First off I am gonna say I love this forum and have received a ton of help here... But this isn't the only place I go to get advise... There are several "holier than thou" individuals on here that expect new reefers to heed their 1 fish 1 snail 1 year guidelines...

Don't get me wrong at all I want to do thing right and have healthy fish and corals. And I understand taking your time is paramount.. on the other hand I have dropped several grand on a center piece for my new home livingroom, that is not going to sit virtually empty for a year.. especially while just as many or more people are advising me to slowly add the reasons we spend all this money and do all this work..

Add all that to the unlimited number of quickly stocked successful reef tanks you can easily find examples of, right here on this forum included.. wouldn't it be more beneficial for some members to help new reefers have success with their "to fast" tanks than just berate them for not doing it "the right" way??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it is that it can take so long to get your tank set up, rock cured, tank cycled, lighting and filtration correct, that when all that is finally ready many people rush to get livestock in the system. I'm sure we are all guilty at some point. My new tank has been a 6 month project so far and I am only part way through the cycle now

Dino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching and buying equipment for the past yr. My tank has also been sitting empty for almost that long also.[emoji38]. So i guess I'm taking it really slow . hahaha heck i haven't even started curing my dead rock yet and I've had that close to 6 months. Hahaha

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the go slow camp too. I cycled my rock for 6 months before it went in the tank. I like to compare building up your tank's livestock to an infant learning to walk. I spent a heck of a lot of money and time getting my youngest daughter's room ready and buying lots of great toys. I don't expect her to pick them up and play with them just because I spent money on them. She'll do it at the appropriate time.

I have to disagree with comments about spending lots of money being an appropriate reason to stock a tank quickly. If you're going to drop a lot of money on a setup I'd hope you did your research and knew ahead of time about the time commitment.

Ultimately, we are responsible for the wellbeing of our animals. To me that comes before all else. It trumps the desire for a nice centerpiece in our living spaces by a wide margin IMO.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, this has been a sacred place for this noob. I think when the reef bug bites the inclination is to obtain livestock whether it be frags or fish. It is a lesson to be learned, just like falling off a bike. I am guilty, but a lesson well learned. Just like diatoms in a new tank, overstocking will settle down. Please don't eat the young. Let us learn

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice topic and hitting me hard now that I have this big tank with lot's of fish swimming room! AHHHHHHH!

I'd focus on how gravy it will be for those first few fish!!! Milk that phase out as long as you can just for their sake, IMO. :)

It doesn't have to be thought of so much as being hard on you as it is great for them!

I honestly think that phase can be pretty great for the fishkeeper too though....there's no other time where you'll be able to focus so much on a single (or so few) fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back