Nutrient export

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with a nano what are you using for nutrient export? I’ve been having trouble keeping my nutrients under control I’ve tried running gfo, algae scrubber and a chaeto reactor with no luck. I do 5 gallon water changes on a 50gal display , what do you all use? im running out of ideas and patience

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I think to be able to get the most helpful answer you will have to post a few more details. Like stocking level and feedings.

But let's just say your stocking is average and feeding 2 times a day enough for your fish and corals. You seem to have tried most of the common solutions already, and you are clearly doing enough water changes (based on correct stocking and feeding). You don't however mention the use of a protein skimmer.

When I ran a 22g nano reef I also had a nutrient issue. I did run gfo and a skimmer but turns out the only way I could beat it was to decrease feeding amounts. This maybe an option for you to look at if possible. Again without knowing what the routine is now a bit hard to advise.

I only have experience with 1 nano tank so maybe others will be of more help.

Good luck. You'll get there.

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day frozen food, I use to feed twice a day but cut back about 6 months ago expecting it to help with no success. As far as fish go i have 2 clown fish, wrasse, lawnmower blenny, and a dotty back. I do run a skimmer all day

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50 gal is not really a nano but as others have said cutting your feeding back may help. What nutrient are you trying to get rid of? may seem crazy but whats high will tell you about whats lacking. If it's nitrates it's not enough good bactera / algae. If it's phosphates could be your source water or your using a bad food. A skimmer gets rid of it before it breaks down. Also corals may help too. If you really want to just nip it in the butt a roller mat works wonders and you can pick up the bubble magus ones this weekend for under $200 right now online.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to also add a lot of what our skimmers and socks pull out is free floating algae not fish poop. It's a viscous cycle. you feed fish, they expel ammonia, that feeds the diatoms and algae. they dye and release that back into the water. so to effectively remove it. You need a skimmer for fish butter production, or socks that need regular cleanings, or a roller mat. The chato is the final line in the sand as it absorbs whats already broken down and the ammonia....yet think about it... the chato is not in your display where the fish release ammonia but the algae is!

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run filter socks and a skimmer, socks are changed out every 2 to 3 days my nitrates are at 5-10ppm and my po4 is undetectable most likely due to all the algae built up

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... So it's algae that's driving you nuts? cut your lights back or get a small tang

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that running low nutrients never controlled algae. I run low nitrate 1 or 2 ppm and phosphate at .03. Even then, I get hair algae, bubble algae, slime algae and so on. My CUC is there to graze things back. I have had good luck with trochus snails and small turbo snails. For fish, you might get an algae eating blenny, like a lawnmower blenny. My CUC keeps my rocks pristine.

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys all use to control your tank nutrients in a nano I do have a sump but I’m thinking of trying bio pellets does anyone use that in a nano?

Nano427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your algae type, Vibrant aquarium cleaner can work well. Do larger water changes. Cut back feeding even more. Give that several weeks and see how it looks then.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen, phosguard, good amount of biomedia, and a filter sponge. Clean all that every few days and a 5g water change every 2 weeks, my 28g tank stays CLEAN.

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with a nano what are you using for nutrient export? I’ve been having trouble keeping my nutrients under control I’ve tried running gfo, algae scrubber and a chaeto reactor with no luck. I do 5 gallon water changes on a 50gal display , what do you all use? im running out of ideas and patience
I use a biopellet reactor from BRS my ammonia and nitrates are 0. I have to feed heavy now and by weekly dose nitrate booster.

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I suggest taking a look at your cuc.

I have a 40 Gallon
15 blue legged hermit crabs
10 trocus snails
10 nessarius snails
1 conch snail
1 emerald crab

With your water changes use a Turkey baster to blow out your rock cracks and suck it up with your siphon.

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a biopellet reactor from BRS my ammonia and nitrates are 0. I have to feed heavy now and by weekly dose nitrate booster.

is that all you run just the bio pellets or are you running gfo or carbon? what size tank do you have

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that all you run just the bio pellets or are you running gfo or carbon? what size tank do you have
I have a 40 gallon tank. GFO does half of what biopellet reactor does. Biopellets removes phosphates and nitrates whereas gfo only removes phosphates. I started with half of the reccomend dose and it bottomed out both nitrates and phosphates. I had to slow down the pump and started feeding heavier because 0 of both will create problems in your tank. What are your phosphates and nitrates at?

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbivores and carbon dosing to stimulate bacterial competition would be my advice. Possibly may have to dose PO4 as well.

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbivores and carbon dosing to stimulate bacterial competition would be my advice. Possibly may have to dose PO4 as well.

I have a lawnmower blenny and purchased a small kole tang the blenny has plenty to eat I hope that will help out, I don’t think I have a heavy stock and I feed once a day

OP
OP
R

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon tank. GFO does half of what biopellet reactor does. Biopellets removes phosphates and nitrates whereas gfo only removes phosphates. I started with half of the reccomend dose and it bottomed out both nitrates and phosphates. I had to slow down the pump and started feeding heavier because 0 of both will create problems in your tank. What are your phosphates and nitrates at?

my po4 reads 0 but I think it is just being used by the algae nitrates are 5-10. I am definitely considering switching the gfo to pellets. I think my issue maybe po4 since my nitrates are fairly low, because if I don’t clean my glass in 2 days its already hard to see into the tank. Do you just run the pellets with no other filtration, how often do you add pellets?

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny and purchased a small kole tang the blenny has plenty to eat I hope that will help out, I don’t think I have a heavy stock and I feed once a day
What about your cuc?
my po4 reads 0 but I think it is just being used by the algae nitrates are 5-10. I am definitely considering switching the gfo to pellets. I think my issue maybe po4 since my nitrates are fairly low, because if I don’t clean my glass in 2 days its already hard to see into the tank. Do you just run the pellets with no other filtration, how often do you add pellets?
I have a canister filter with bio media and filter pads. Clean them every two weeks. I am having a hard time understanding what you think your problem is if your ammonia and nitrates are that low?

What clean up crew do you have?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back