Nutrition for a PICO 5g

JK Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, got a little 5g fluval pico set up. Its been running for a few months now. Got a mix reef set up on there. Wanting to start feeding the corals, with something like reef roids or acropower. With such a small tank anyone run into any issues? any tips how to go about it? or just not worth it at all?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Depends a bit on how your system works and how the corals are doing so far.

A bit more info regarding the tank would help.

Anyway, these things are not mandatory.
My initI’ll concern is linked tank volume. Depending on the system, you may be always in the edge of overdosing.

Cheers

OP
OP
J

JK Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Depends a bit on how your system works and how the corals are doing so far.

A bit more info regarding the tank would help.

Anyway, these things are not mandatory.
My initI’ll concern is linked tank volume. Depending on the system, you may be always in the edge of overdosing.

Cheers

OP
OP
J

JK Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in terms of my system, stocking wise. I have softies, zoas, lps and sps. No casualties so far. Fingers crossed. For fish i have 1 bengai cardinal. I have an ai prime for lighting. For filtration i run carbon. I have a HOB breeder box set up as a fuge. I think it adds about half a gallon in terms of water volume. Was doing a 2% water change daily via a doser but had to cut that down as nitrates were bottoming out. Actually i am having to dose nitrates atm as its at zero and po4 is at 0.03.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
fair enough.
Still, I would be cautious... For instance, Amino in non-establish tanks tends to end up in cyano bacteria.

However, you are already close to zero with nitrates...

So, in my personal opinion, keep monitoring the corals... if you feel the need to feed them:
I would suggest Acropower and/or Reefroids but starting with only 1/5 (or less) of the recommended dosage. And really slowly check how things go...

Good luck and keep as posted!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do easy sps and easy booster on dosers in my big tank, for my pico I put some into droppers and do 2 drops each daily to feed everything, seems to be working really well so far. My pico is 2.5-3 gallons.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an old salifert scoop into a small container with literally like 4-5 drops of tank water. then with a syringe I targeted the corals with the pump off. Was thinking of a paste and little bit on each head of the acan that I have.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back