Nuvo 20

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new to saltwater/reefing and wanted to start a thread to capture the build progress of my Innovative Marine Nuvo 20. I bought this tank a few months back from a local reefer and slowly been buying the equipment while reading a lot on this forms and visiting multiple LFS.

Equipment list
Tank: Nuvo 20, APS stand
Flow: MP10, eFlux 660, Sicce 1.5, IM Spin streams
Filtration: InTank Media and Fuge baskets, IM DC Protein Skimmer, IM Media Reactor
Heater: Eheim 75w
Substrate: 20lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink, 12lbs CaribSea Shapes
ATO: Tunze 3155, IM 5g reservoir (arriving next week)
Light: Kessil 360WE

So far I mixed the salt (Instant Ocean) in the tank without sand and the tank has been running for a few weeks. Salinity is currently measuring 1.021, which I intend to bring up to 1.025. I also notice what appears to be cyno on the rocks, I only did peroxide wash. Anyways I decided to grab one of the API test kit to check the cycle status and to my surprise looks like it's on target maybe a little more PH.

I will get a few picture of the tank one I figure out a way to get the sand bed. Thinking about getting a PVC and funnel may be the less messy way.

API_Test.jpg FTS_Dec_19.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the start of your build thread and I like your equipment choices. A funnel and PVC takes more time, but IMO it is a good way to add sand after you have water in the tank. Of course, it also helps if you have at least three hands!!!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

I also just started a Nuvo 20, tank gets here Tuesday!

How do you like the fit of the tunze 3155? I’m hoping it’s not too big. Also I got a 100W Eheim that I might have to change to a 75w.
Hey Nick, attached is the Tunze sensor in the return chamber with the Eheim 75w and the sicce 1.5. I have the ATO staged but not running yet, reservoir is been delivered Tuesday. I think the Eheim 100w might be too long for this chamber.

Tunze3155.jpg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nick, attached is the Tunze sensor in the return chamber with the Eheim 75w and the sicce 1.5. I have the ATO staged but not running yet, reservoir is been delivered Tuesday. I think the Eheim 100w might be too long for this chamber.

Sadly so do I but I’ll have to see once the tank gets here. I might swap it with one of the 75w ones I have on my freshwater tank if it’s too big.

Good luck and I’ll be along for the ride, nice to see other Nuvo 20 builds to get ideas from!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, it also helps if you have at least three hands!!!
Funny you said that, I cut the bottom of a 2litter soda bottle and had my gf hold it while I pour the sand to the bottom of the tank in an effort to prevent the sand storm. It was a total failure, but we both had a good laugh.

After receiving the IM 5g reservoir, I was surprise it doesn't properly fit under the APS 20 stand. If I place it in either the left or right side I will not be able to open the refill drawer. I can't center it since the magnetic door mechanism is in the way.

My options will be to remove the bottom magnets or most likely have it sit next to the stand.

Starting to look like a fun and busy weekend awaits me.

Reservoir_1.jpg Reservoir_2.jpg

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First inhabitant, Purple Firefish Goby today is day 2 for him. Already exploring and eating which is great!
To do:
Get scrubber to reach the back glass.
Test Calcium, Magnesium, Alk is at 10.9,
Increase salinity to 1.025, currently at 1.024
Starter coral, thinking favias and monti.

Firefish_1day.jpg

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi PR, Great Job on Starting your thread... Things are looking pretty good.. Welcome to R2R. Thanks for bring us along on your journey. Can't wait to see what is around the corner for you.. keep us posted.. :)

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates: Water salinity up 1.025. Tested Magnesium at 1455, seems a bit high. Might need to retest or figure a way to bring it down a bit. Calcium is at 450 and Alkalinity at 10.7.

Also added a few additions to the tank.
Cleaner shrimp
Favia and Zoa frag

To do: setup light schedule and ATO, research clean up crew

20191221_093754_HDR.jpg 20191221_094219.jpg

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good so far! For heaters, I run mine in the up flow chamber (optional refugium chamber?) next to the return chamber with no issues. I use the Finnex HMO 100w and it fits no problem.

I have never run a skimmer on my 20. I think most people feel it wont do much good on such a small volume tank, but it certainly cant hurt.

What do you plan on running in the reactor?

Future coral plans? That favia looks similar to mine, but mine has light blue in the mouths not purple like yours. Looks sweet though, I like the contrast.

I'm surprised the ATO reservoir doesnt fit in the stand. That's disappointing considering it's made by the same company. I have the old style 20 stand and use an old NutriSeawater bucket as a reservoir and it just barely fits.

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly so do I but I’ll have to see once the tank gets here. I might swap it with one of the 75w ones I have on my freshwater tank if it’s too big.

Good luck and I’ll be along for the ride, nice to see other Nuvo 20 builds to get ideas from!
I have the ehiem 100 in mine. It's tight next to where the skimmer goes but does fit.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Nuvo protein skimmer? Thinking about getting one.
I think the DC skimmer is great. I actually turned mine off about 5 days ago. Tank is too new and not much bio load. I felt I was starving the coral. Since I shut it down I seen the favia tentacle come out.
20191225_175900.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back