Nuvo 30L stocking list... fyi I was already told this was a bad list so looking for a second.. third.. fourth.. until someone agrees with me opinion

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may skip the Blenny all together
No need to, just stick with a small Ecsenius species: Tailspot, twinspot, lined. I prefer the tailspot over the rest for a nano tank.

You can also look at things like Randals / Golden assessor (often swims inverted), pinkstreak wrasse as others have noted, many of the nano gobies (especially greenbanded - Tigrigobius multifasciatus ). Any ocellaris morph should be fine in a 30L long term, the female won't get larger than 3-4", but they can get somewhat aggressive when spawning.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you have to skip the Benny. A tailspin should be just fine. If you don’t like the way they look, you obviously don’t have to get one though. If you want suggestions for a tank this size, I have lots of them. Just let me know if you want any.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
barnacle blennies
If you want suggestions for a tank this size, I have lots of them. Just let me know if you want any.
I have a Kamohara Blenny in my 30G. It is very peaceful and active.

So here is my thought process. The 30 gallon I’m setting up is for my office. I have another tank at home. I don’t want to have the same fish in my office tank as my home tank, that’s boring. So at home I have a black and white clown pair, bicolored blenny, diamond goby, purple fire fish, coral beauty, and yellow tang. Secondly the reason I like salt water is for the color. I love fish that are really colorful, and I’d like to get as much variation with color as I can. Lastly one of my rocks has this really awesome hole in it
D7A8A7CC-4285-49CA-AEDD-86181C0FA5A1.jpeg

As soon as I saw this rock my mind immediately went to a blenny. My bicolored at home has three holes in the rocks he likes to be in. I really want someone to utilize this hole. So a barnacle blenny could be good. I’m up for suggestions. My must haves/really wants are the clown pair and the goby/shrimp pair.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my thought process. The 30 gallon I’m setting up is for my office. I have another tank at home. I don’t want to have the same fish in my office tank as my home tank, that’s boring. So at home I have a black and white clown pair, bicolored blenny, diamond goby, purple fire fish, coral beauty, and yellow tang. Secondly the reason I like salt water is for the color. I love fish that are really colorful, and I’d like to get as much variation with color as I can. Lastly one of my rocks has this really awesome hole in it
D7A8A7CC-4285-49CA-AEDD-86181C0FA5A1.jpeg

As soon as I saw this rock my mind immediately went to a blenny. My bicolored at home has three holes in the rocks he likes to be in. I really want someone to utilize this hole. So a barnacle blenny could be good. I’m up for suggestions. My must haves/really wants are the clown pair and the goby/shrimp pair.
A firefish would love a hole like that. Although you do have a purple, the plain red ones don’t resemble them much. Some type of basslet such as an assessor, royal gramma, or swissguard basslet would fit in a tank that size as well, and they like holes in rocks. A geometric Pygmy perchlet or a hawk such as a flame or long nose would also work. Cardinals and chromis should work in that tank size too.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A firefish would love a hole like that. Although you do have a purple, the plain red ones don’t resemble them much. Some type of basslet such as an assessor, royal gramma, or swissguard basslet would fit in a tank that size as well, and they like holes in rocks. A geometric Pygmy perchlet or a hawk such as a flame or long nose would also work. Cardinals and chromis should work in that tank size too.

I has originally thought about a fire fish. Actually my original plan was to take the fire fish from my other tank and move it because the coral beauty was so mean to him... but in the last three weeks or he has been out a lot more and traveling around the tank, so now I don't want to move him. I was looking up the different ones and saw a Helfrichi Firefish. Looks really pretty... but price not so much. Flame Hawks I love the color, but I've heard they will take out your CUC. The geometric Pygmy perchlet looks really cool. I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I'll try to do some more research on that one and see if it will fit in.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. So I think I'm going to change it up a little, new list below

1.Designer Clown pair-thinking frostbite, flurry, or snowflake (I live in Maine so I think I should represent)
2. Bicolored Blenny
3. Yellow Watchman Goby/ pistol shrimp pair
4. Pink-Streaked Wrasse

I'm most concerned with the wrasse as I've heard not great things about them, however, I have also read the that the pink-streaked wrasse is one of the best.

Wrasses are wonderful provided you stick to the smaller more peaceful varieties. The problem is that Wrasses are a massive family and there are both good and bad with them. In terms of what is available in the hobby there is everything from the small and super docile Possum/Pink Streaked Wrasse to the big and aggressive Thalassoma Wrasses (ie Pink Faced, Lunar, Bluehead) which can be very aggressive, big and not reef safe. There are also the nasty little lined wrasses (ie 6 line, 4 line) which generally should be avoided for community tanks.

Wrasses are actually my favorite fish. I have both a Melanurus and a Blue Star Leopard in my 90 gallon and love them.

Billmone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Cycling a Nuvo 30L right now and have an ideal stock list... I'm assuming, because this always happens, that I wont end up with whats on the list because someone doesn't get along with someone else, or because someone is too aggressive, or too shy, or just not a great tank mate. So without further ado here is my stock list

1.Designer Clown pair-thinking frostbite, flurry, or snowflake (I live in Maine so I think I should represent)
2. Starry Blenny
3. Yellow Watchman Goby/ pistol shrimp pair
4. Green or Yellow Clown Goby.

I'm wondering if they would all get along, and if so would that be too many fish in a 30 gallon? I'd love thoughts and opinions.
I have a 54 gallon bow tank with some of the fish you listed. I have a snowflake clownfish pair, starry blenny, yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. I also have a six line wrasse, coral beauty, neon dottyback, and a yellowtail blue damsel. All get along very well. I've had the aquarium for almost three years. For months, I was worried about the goby/shrimp pair because after placing them in the tank, I did not see them for awhile and figured some how they had died or been killed. But I would notice sand being moved around and hear a clicking sound. I constantly see them busy at work now. I don't have any experience with clown gobies so I'm not sure how it would get along with the watchman. But the others you listed get along well in my tank.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake clownfish pair, starry blenny, yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair.

What type of pistol shrimp do you have. Still trying to figure out what to get there. Also did you buy them as a pair, or by them separately and introduce them at the same time.. or maybe introduced them separately as well.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tailspot blennies are the cutest fish! You'll love it!!!

Billmone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of pistol shrimp do you have. Still trying to figure out what to get there. Also did you buy them as a pair, or by them separately and introduce them at the same time.. or maybe introduced them separately as well.
I have a tiger snapping shrimp. I bought them separately and introduced them at the same time. However, when I usually want a pair, I usually get them together. I had a mated pair of maroon clownfish as my first fish (unfortunately the male passed away two years after I got them and the female passed away a few months ago). I prefer to get them paired up, but the main drawback I've noticed is when they are paired that the LFS will charge more than if you purchased them not paired initially (I do understand the logic of that). But, I'm willing to pay that premium if it's not insane. I've lost livestock during these three years as most have. Many people not into aquariums may not take the lives of fish as serious as some of us do. I've lost livestock over the years and each loss hurts. I try to make the best environment possible so I read quite a bit and read forums such as R2R to learn from those more knowledgeable than myself. It's relaxing, educational, and interesting to watch the interactions of my fish, corals, anemones, and invertebrates. It's like a complex, but living, puzzle. Anyway, I think that you will make an informed decision.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into yellow Cori’s Wrasses. They are friendly, they sleep in the sand and they are amazing pest hunters.

Personally I feel that any Halichoeres Wrasse (of which the Yellow Wrasse is part of and incorrectly labeled a Coris) are too big for a tank less than 4 feet in length. Outside of the Pink Streaked or Possum, I feel that the only other wrasse I would attempt in there would be something like a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse or maybe a Flasher Wrasse.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my pistol and goby separately, and introduced them at different times. They still paired right up.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer to get them as a pair, however my LFS doesn’t have any. They said they could order whatever I want but they have a fish supplier and an invert supplier so they would be coming from two separate places and not a pair.

Ive seen online you can buy a pair, but I’ve never ordered fish online and it makes me nervous.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back