Nuvo 40

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a nuvo 40 here in the next few weeks. Working on building the stand right now. Love the rock work wish i could do some cool scaping but the 40 is going to go in place of the current tank so dont have a lot of time to figure it out and all the rock of my current tank going into the 40. Just a caution on those spinstreams they are great when they work and a pain when they dont and they break easy. I've gone through 2 on my 20 nuvo and finally stopped using them. Make sure to keep them clean and keep an eye on them cause they will get stuck.
Funny, not so funny story, while I was making the last post, one of my spin streams decided to stop rotating after 2 days of use. I tapped it, took it off and messed with it, nothing. I just decided to take them off and use the stock angled nozzles that came with the tank. They work great! And with the added benefit of being completely silent.
Them spinstreams are a royal pain. Get the random flow nozzles, they’re legit, and don’t stick out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced the spin streams on my IM 50 lagoon with the random flow generators

I had no idea that there were other kinds other than the stock or spin streams. After checking them out, I ordered some from BRS. Seems like they work pretty well. How do you like them? Do you notice a difference with flow?

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea that there were other kinds other than the stock or spin streams. After checking them out, I ordered some from BRS. Seems like they work pretty well. How do you like them? Do you notice a difference with flow?
I really like them and they don't restrict return pump flow like the spin streams. Did you also get the 19mm drop down adapters for the IM tank? You'll need those

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like them and they don't restrict return pump flow like the spin streams. Did you also get the 19mm drop down adapters for the IM tank? You'll need those

That’s good then. The spin streams were noisy. Yea, I did get the 19’s, with the two 1/2 nozzles as well.

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update here, I’m happy to say my initial cycle is complete. It took 19 days with Dr. Tim’s fishless method. Last week, I added a small CUC of 3 Trochus and 4 blue leg hermits which are settling in nicely. I even caught one of the Trochus snails spawning for about 5 min. Interesting to see to say the least. At first, I thought he was smoking, and thought I had opted for the non smoking one. Anyways, I’m headed to my LFS this weekend to get a few softies. As far as fish go, I’m planning on either 1 or 2 clowns in the next couple weeks. I will have another update soon...Stay tuned! :)

34689CE3-6403-4280-99FC-2E2724C9DE00.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update of 2020! Woot! :)

I am really happy with the way things are going with my tank so far. I added two Grade B DaVinci clowns upon completion of my cycle about 3.5 months ago to start things off with some good ole fish poo. I did not realize how many different clown morphs there were at the time of my research. Probably even more now lol! I was really overwhelmed with all the snowflake, flurry, phantom, storm, DaVinci, bullethole designs going on, but finally found two that I really liked. They really seem to get along great! I have also since added an African Midas blenny. She is a real beauty, with so much personality! During the first week of adding her, she was hiding out at the top of the tank by one of the overflows. She has recently adjusted, and made her home in a small hole at the top of my rock scape. Nature at its best. :)

As far as coral goes, I have added quite a few “easy” softies and LPS. Two of my favorite LPS corals are torches and zoa’s. It’s easy to get caught up in the crazy names of all these different corals, but I try to select them from their appearance/my bank account vs. cool name. I will admit though, I have succumbed a few times to the named, “cannot live without” ones. One of them being my BB sized, single polyp, little shop of horror zoa that seems to fascinate me. I currently have between 30-35 zoa frags, slowly becoming a garden, polyp by polyp. :)

Water quality/parameters have been ideal. I test Salinity, Temp, ALK, Phosphates, Nitrates, Calcium, and Magnesium twice per week. I dose Kent Marine A&B to supplement Calcium and ALK. I usually dose 3x/week to keep my ALK between 6.5-7.4 dKH. I figure I will need to tighten this range once I decide to put more demanding types of coral in. After these bottles of Kent Marine A&B are complete, I will be switching to ESV B-Ionic, only for specific calculation reasons. I am running my single Kessil A360X at 62% intensity, slowly raising it to 65%. I have a mesh lid coming from OctoAquatics soon that I am really excited about. I currently have to remove my lid to feed the fish, or test the waters. This gets old real quick! :)

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update!
D15B39D1-30C0-46D7-A40B-4F88601930BB.jpeg

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update of 2020! Woot! :)

I am really happy with the way things are going with my tank so far. I added two Grade B DaVinci clowns upon completion of my cycle about 3.5 months ago to start things off with some good ole fish poo. I did not realize how many different clown morphs there were at the time of my research. Probably even more now lol! I was really overwhelmed with all the snowflake, flurry, phantom, storm, DaVinci, bullethole designs going on, but finally found two that I really liked. They really seem to get along great! I have also since added an African Midas blenny. She is a real beauty, with so much personality! During the first week of adding her, she was hiding out at the top of the tank by one of the overflows. She has recently adjusted, and made her home in a small hole at the top of my rock scape. Nature at its best. :)

As far as coral goes, I have added quite a few “easy” softies and LPS. Two of my favorite LPS corals are torches and zoa’s. It’s easy to get caught up in the crazy names of all these different corals, but I try to select them from their appearance/my bank account vs. cool name. I will admit though, I have succumbed a few times to the named, “cannot live without” ones. One of them being my BB sized, single polyp, little shop of horror zoa that seems to fascinate me. I currently have between 30-35 zoa frags, slowly becoming a garden, polyp by polyp. :)

Water quality/parameters have been ideal. I test Salinity, Temp, ALK, Phosphates, Nitrates, Calcium, and Magnesium twice per week. I dose Kent Marine A&B to supplement Calcium and ALK. I usually dose 3x/week to keep my ALK between 6.5-7.4 dKH. I figure I will need to tighten this range once I decide to put more demanding types of coral in. After these bottles of Kent Marine A&B are complete, I will be switching to ESV B-Ionic, only for specific calculation reasons. I am running my single Kessil A360X at 62% intensity, slowly raising it to 65%. I have a mesh lid coming from OctoAquatics soon that I am really excited about. I currently have to remove my lid to feed the fish, or test the waters. This gets old real quick! :)

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another update!
D15B39D1-30C0-46D7-A40B-4F88601930BB.jpeg
Beautiful tank! I'm thinking of getting two random flow generators. Are you still happy with yours?

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I'm thinking of getting two random flow generators. Are you still happy with yours?

Thanks! :) About those, I actually have not used them yet. I have them, just not installed. I heard that they are excellent with producing some really good random flow. I’m not sure what I am waiting for lol.

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, time for an update here! Do you care? Of course you do! :)

I have finally increased my Kessil 360X to 65% intensity with good results. The corals seem to like the extra bit of light, and are thriving. The tank is about 5 months “new”. I have still been testing salinity, temp, ALK, phosphates, nitrates, calcium, and magnesium 2X/week religiously. I honestly make life plans around testing parameters/water changes LOL. Of course I am a reef freak! Phosphates are normally at 0.05 (Hanna) with nitrates at 2 (Salifert), about to switch to Aquaforest once I run out of solution soon. Only running filter floss media, Red Sea carbon, and IM midsize UV in rear chambers. Really minimal, considering no skimmer.

The latest corals I have added are my trachyphyllia, pink hippo/chucky’s bride zoas, and JF purple tide montipora digitata. I just purchased a German blue montipora digitata from Tidal Gardens that will be arriving next week. I am going to place it between my bubblegum digi and the purple tide digi.

I had some cyano about a month ago. Nothing serious, just a small patch in the back. I turned up the MP 10 to 80% reef crest and cyano went sayonara. I have some tiny bubble algae too that grows sometimes, but I usually just manually remove with great results regardless whether I pop them or not. When I remove them, I feel like I am playing operation with my forceps LOL. Then, when they float away, I feel like Mr. Myagi trying to catch flies. So much fun! :)

For those that may have not seen an earlier post I made, I won a Kessil 360X and a coral caddy at an event last weekend. I am really excited about it. I do not plan on using it as of now because I am happy with one light on my tank. I have learned thus far that there are a lot of ups and downs in this hobby. Right now, I feel like my tank is in a good spot and I am happy about it. I also just got my new lid from OctoAquatics. I really like it! It has a feed door that I have been yearning for.

Well, that’s it for now Thank you for reading, or at least pretending to. :)

Here’s a few pics!

F1533317-4534-4372-97A7-6E6066B980C4.jpeg
821072A5-26FB-4FF9-A647-C7EB46227BED.jpeg
300C1FFE-D984-4F10-A897-7DCAD0883018.jpeg
31D6F6A0-C17A-4C37-8C4A-37570C27AAFA.jpeg
0B073F05-D95E-4A69-B59B-C32FED4871CD.jpeg
579114BF-93A7-45D0-AD6E-37C06D4FFF65.jpeg

Last edited:
Back