Nuvo Fusion 40 build

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Current FTS 02 April 2020
IMG_20200331_163951.jpg

Hi all, and welcome to my build thread!

After a few year hiatus from reef keeping, I got the itch again, and have started setting up a new build. I have had picos and very small nanos in the past, so this will be my biggest box of water yet! Having been out of the hobby for a while, I've been scrambling to get caught up on current methods and best practices, but any advice or suggestions are welcome!

I love the look of the IM Fusion rimless tanks, and 40 gallons will be small enough for me to be able to reach everything without a ladder, but large enough to let me have a few fish. My last 3g pico was fishless, and I loved watching the inverts and coral, but just missed the movement you get from having fish (and I won't miss explaining to people who aren't reefers that yes, there really are living things in there, even though there aren't fish... :p).

I plan to do LPS and softies primarily. I've wanted a Euphyllia for a long time, but never had the space before. I've roughed out a stocking list, but am debating between a few different things for an additional fish. Currently torn between a yellow watchman goby and an orchid dottyback.

Livestock Plans:
  • Green clown goby
  • A pair of Ocellaris clowns
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • YWG or orchid dottyback
  • Euphyllia (not necessarily set on any specific variant, though I'd prefer it to be a branching variety)
  • Acans
  • Blastos
  • Ricordea
  • Zoas
  • GSP

Current Equipment:
  • IM Nuvo Fusion 40
  • AI Hydra 32 HD
  • Finnex 150W heater
  • Inkbird temp controller
  • XP Aqua Duetto ATO
  • Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer
  • Two Sicce Voyager Nano powerheads
  • 5-stage BRS RO/DI sytem
  • Reef Saver dry rock x 40lbs
  • CaribSea Aragonite special grade
    • I have 40 lbs, but don't know that I'll use all of it. I like the look of a sand bottom, but don't want my sand bed to be too deep.
Planned Future Additions:
  • IM Midsize Nuvoskim protein skimmer
    • I plan to add a protein skimmer after the cycle winds down, but am not 100% set on a specific model. This one is the current front-runner as it's specifically designed to fit in the rear chambers
  • Media reactor
    • In the past I've just used bags of carbon, but like the idea of a small reactor for carbon, and GFO if needed.
  • Algae scrubber/refugium?
    • I don't know how much nutrient export I will need for this system yet, but I do like to feed towards the heavy side, so I may have to look into this down the road. I've allowed space behind the aquarium for a HOB refugium if I decide I need one, as opposed to converting one of the rear chambers into a refugium.

Obligatory first FTS (Monster for scale, since we were out of bananas):
IMG_20200326_125157.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
I got the RO/DI unit set up last night, and have been making water. I've elected to go the Inappropriate Reefer way, and leak test with RO/DI water. I put 10 gallons or so in last night before bed, and no leaks so far. I'll be schlepping water upstairs this afternoon to top off the tank, and get the pump going for the official leak test. I'm excited to start playing around with my rock to figure out how I'm going to scape the tank, but there's no real rush at this point. Hopefully no leaks, and tomorrow I can start mixing in salt, and thinking about scaping!

OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Scape is done! After several hours of moving rocks around (and breaking some of the larger ones into more workable pieces), I'm pretty pleased with how the rockwork turned out. Only ended up using maybe 15-20lbs of sand.

I kicked off the cycle with some Dr. Tim's One and Only, and some ammonium chloride. I overshot my ammonium chloride addition a bit (with rocks and at actual operating volume, the tank seems to be closer to 32-35 gallons of water, so I added less than what I needed for 40 gallons, but ended up a little above the 2ppm I was going for). Not a major concern, but I haven't been able to see the ammonia drop yet, as my test kit caps out at 2ppm. Nitrites have been steadily going up though, so the little beasties are happily munching away on the ammonia.

I'm still trying to figure out the spectrum I want to use for my AI Hydra 32 HD, but I've got lots of time for that still. Here's a picture of the scape as it is right now:
IMG_20200331_163951.jpg

Tahoe61

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Scape turned out fantastic.
Have you hooked up the Duetto yet?

OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Scape turned out fantastic.
Have you hooked up the Duetto yet?
Thank you! Yep, I've got the Duetto up and running. So far it's been working pretty well. I was surprised that the tiny pump it came with was able to get topoff water all the way over the rim of the tank since the reservoir is sitting in the bottom of my stand, but it works like a champ.

Tahoe61

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I like mine. When a snail crawls on the sensor it can be unnerving though.

OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I like mine. When a snail crawls on the sensor it can be unnerving though.
I bet! I'm hoping the snails stay in the display. The sensor is in the pump chamber, and the top fits pretty tight around the edges, so I'm hoping it would take a MacGyver of a snail to get to it.

Tahoe61

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So is mine. Spouse called at me work and stated the ATO is blinking pink and alarming. Told him to unplug it until I got home. A huge Turbo made to it the back chamber. Finally was able reach snail and return to display, but he has lost my trust.

:)

OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
So is mine. Spouse called at me work and stated the ATO is blinking pink and alarming. Told him to unplug it until I got home. A huge Turbo made to it the back chamber. Finally was able reach snail and return to display, but he has lost my trust.

:)
How in the world did he get back there??? I had a clownfish that liked to jump into the rear chambers of my biocube. Fishing him out with a net was not the most fun I've ever had... :)

Tahoe61

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How in the world did he get back there??? I had a clownfish that liked to jump into the rear chambers of my biocube. Fishing him out with a net was not the most fun I've ever had... :)
I had seen him scoping the back chambers out. He would crawl to the rim but never over. He certainly did a fantastic job of cleaning the back chambers and I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get back there again, the snail knows where the good algae is. I do not always keep lid in place.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
I had seen him scoping the back chambers out. He would crawl to the rim but never over. He certainly did a fantastic job of cleaning the back chambers and I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get back there again, the snail knows where the good algae is. I do not always keep lid in place.
He's probably saving it for a post-social-distancing party. :D

OP
fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

View Badges
Reaction score
The cycle continues! Ammonia dropped below 1ppm for the first time since my initial dosing. Nitrite test is reading 1ppm, but that's the max range for the Red Sea test, so it could be higher. Currently chilling until Ammonia and Nitrite both read below 1ppm, and then I'll add my second dose of ammonium chloride.

I added Bio Spira last night to reinforce my microbial minions, and to hopefully increase the biodiversity of the bacterial population in the tank. I turned off the return pump for 15 minutes, and just let the powerheads circulate it around in the display. Hopefully they will find some nice homes in the rock and sand.

Dropped the Tunze 9004 in the left-most rear chamber, though it's currently off. I know people go back and forth on running a skimmer during the cycle, but I'm hoping to get it through the break-in period prior to adding livestock. It'll stay off for 48 hours after the addition of Bio Spira, but after that I will probably let it run.

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 72 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 99 15.7%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 108 17.1%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 343 54.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Mount Controllers and Hide Cords Like a Pro!