Nuvo Lagoon 50 - LPS Focus

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R! I decided to downsize from my previous tank which was a 60gal cube to an IM Nuvo Lagoon 50. In my 60 cube I kept it mostly acros and I wanted to do an LPS tank this time around.

Tank equipment -
Lights: Radion XR15 Gen5 Pro x2
Skimmer: IceCap K1-50
Flow: Ecotech MP10 x2
Return: IM MightyJet 538 (Came with the tank)
Heater: BRS Titanium Heater 200W
Controller: Neptune Apex EL
Neptune Trident to test alk, ca, and mag

Majority of the equipment were transferred over to this tank build except for lights, heater, and skimmer. I thought about running a single Radion XR30 Gen5 Pro, but I decided it would be best to spread the light better by running two XR15's.
I am hoping to document this tank a little bit better on R2R, but if not then all the documentation happens on my Instagram page.

Enjoy and Happy New Year, reefers!

The tank when it was moved indoors. I picked it up from @TopShelfAquatics and their staff did an excellent job loading the tank and disassembling the stand to place into my vehicle.
IMG_0615.jpeg

Here is the tank with sand, and water added!
IMG_0648.jpeg

Lastly, the tank how it sits now while I wait for it to finish cycling! The rockscape was done with Caribsea Life Rock, and the white smaller structure was done piling up smaller Caribsea shelf rocks.
IMG_0654.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to see another Lagoon 50. Following along. Good choice to go with two lights. I’ve had one XR15 gen 4 over mine and while it works having two would have been better, even for lps. The tank is just a little too wide for only one.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wanted to run 2 Radions rather than 1 to make sure the coverage was going to be good. I am excited for this tank. Although, a little nervous because I haven't ran an AIO since I first started the hobby 4 years ago.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mango113 I like the IceCap skimmer a lot. It seems to be pulling out a good amount of gunk. In the right side 1st chamber I am running a filter sock from IM. I plan to add an IM Desktop media reactor to put into the left side 2nd chamber and run a very small amount of carbon.

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is all your controllers and equipment stored in your stand? Did you do some sort of controller board for organization?

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4-cube storage organizer to the left of my tank to hold all my controllers. Inside my cabinet is pretty much reefing equipment, and misc stuff.

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jaysushi, How much of the skimmer is sticking out? Would you happen to have a picture of its fitment in the chamber area?

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture. Ideally, it would be nice to have a clean overall appearance. But Function > Form applies across the board, and not just cars/trucks. haha

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, do you have you K1-50 sitting on the bottom of the chamber or held up/hanging by the included hanging bracket?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back