NWFK's 10 Gallon Macroalgae Oddball Desktop Display

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Wow is it awesome to start a new Build Thread!

This tank is going to be my "Desktop Tank" as it sits on the left side of my desk where I do Schoolwork, Editing, etc. This tank is going to hopefully be what I always imagined a Macro Tank of mine would be, as my last one didn't turn out too well due to a lot of mistakes on my end + some unfortunate equipment issues. This tank, I'm hoping to fix all that, and it looks like we're already off to a good start! The Rockscape is half the scape + some little pieces that were in storage from the old UNS 60U Scape. I think for this style, the scape works really well.

All Info down below:

Tank + Equipment

•The Tank itself is an Aqueon 10 Gallon "Frameless". Normally I wouldn't get one, but PetCo is currently having a 50% Sale on the Frameless series so I decided to pick one up. Dimensions wise, it's the same dimensions as a Normal 10 Gallon, but the top frame is removed, making it easier for lights (like the on here) with a bracket to be attached without something like an Acrylic block to help it attach.
•Light is a JC&P Clip on Light. This light is full spectrum, and I went with it as the peninsula style this tank is on, I thought it would fit the look, which it does. As well as these lights are used by @Tigahboy and gave some good reviews on how they're actually pretty good for a $22USD light. So far, its definitely very bright and has a ton of coverage (in fact Tigah has 2 on his IM 30L) so im very excited to see how it does!
•Oase HeatUp 25 (Heater)
•Hygger Nano DC Controllable WaveMaker
•CaribSea 20Lbs Fiji Pink Sand
•8-9ish? Pounds of Marco Dry Rock cemented with Two Little Fishies "Aquastik Epoxy"
•Black Window Film put on the back so it has a cleaner look / hides the wires
•Also already cycling with BioSpira + Dr Tim's Bottled Ammonia

And that's it for now, but not for long! GCE (Gulf Coast Ecosystems aka Live-plants.com) isn't shipping until November 1st as they're currently on a (well deserved) break and currently on a hiatus. But I did order ahead, and a big order of at least 4 different Macros coming from them so that's going to be extremely exciting! Also next week hopefully, I have something coming from Ebay that's one of the more uncommon species of Gracilaria, and has a really interesting growth pattern.

Stocking wise, things im 100% wanting are:
-Sexy Shrimp
-Lima Shrimp Pair of Crinoid Squat Lobster (maybe both but idk about territory issues/aggression)
-Toadstool of some kind, mainly one that has long polyps
-Leptogorgia Virgulata of some color. Seahorse Savvy has the Purple, Yellow, Orange, and what I believe is the Red color as well. This is going to be one of my last additions as is it as an NPS, and I want to see which color would contrast / compliment the tank perfectly as the Macros grow.
-Golden Plume Gorg (If there is space)
-Feather Dusters & Coco Worm ( I have a Christmas Tree Rock that's going on close to 9 months strong which may make the move (it's 4th tank move lol) + the coco worm I'm thinking about adding. That is currently regrowing it's crown since it dropped after it moved tanks, but it's growing and seems healthy)
-Electric Flame Scallop and Purple Tiger Scallop (i've had success with the Flame and Electric Flame in the past, 11 months is my best and only attempt since they ended up passing after a tank crash :(
-ALL THE MACROS I CAN GET (I'm local to some legends since I'm close to Seattle like Tigahboy so maybe in the near future i can make a trade with him for some of his Blue Hypnea or Cryptonemia :)

Things I'm sort of certain about (Feel free to leave suggestions below)
-Possible Highfin (banded) / Candy Cane "Shrimp / Goby Pair".
•Possume Wrasse (50/50 about this one since some people say they need tanks bigger than 10G, but we'll see)
•Nano Gobies of some sort are some im really wanting, which species, thats the part I'm uncertain about since there's so many! A couple of my top options are:
@Biota_Marine 's E. Prasites, E. Queenslandica, or E. Atriventris,
I'm not sure on the compatibility of Eviota species with each other in small tanks, so I was thinking a group of 6 of 1 species, or a 3/3 split of 2 species.

I would do the Possume Wrasse + Shrimp/ Goby Pair or just the 6 Eviota Gobies.

I hope everyone enjoys this thread, and I hope you join along the journey!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Tank shots!
20211017_213847.jpg
20211017_213838.jpg 20211017_213907.jpg

Attachments

• 20211017_213847.jpg
    20211017_213847.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Wow is it awesome to start a new Build Thread!

This tank is going to be my "Desktop Tank" as it sits on the left side of my desk where I do Schoolwork, Editing, etc. This tank is going to hopefully be what I always imagined a Macro Tank of mine would be, as my last one didn't turn out too well due to a lot of mistakes on my end + some unfortunate equipment issues. This tank, I'm hoping to fix all that, and it looks like we're already off to a good start! The Rockscape is half the scape + some little pieces that were in storage from the old UNS 60U Scape. I think for this style, the scape works really well.

All Info down below:

Tank + Equipment

•The Tank itself is an Aqueon 10 Gallon "Frameless". Normally I wouldn't get one, but PetCo is currently having a 50% Sale on the Frameless series so I decided to pick one up. Dimensions wise, it's the same dimensions as a Normal 10 Gallon, but the top frame is removed, making it easier for lights (like the on here) with a bracket to be attached without something like an Acrylic block to help it attach.
•Light is a JC&P Clip on Light. This light is full spectrum, and I went with it as the peninsula style this tank is on, I thought it would fit the look, which it does. As well as these lights are used by @Tigahboy and gave some good reviews on how they're actually pretty good for a $22USD light. So far, its definitely very bright and has a ton of coverage (in fact Tigah has 2 on his IM 30L) so im very excited to see how it does!
•Oase HeatUp 25 (Heater)
•Hygger Nano DC Controllable WaveMaker
•CaribSea 20Lbs Fiji Pink Sand
•8-9ish? Pounds of Marco Dry Rock cemented with Two Little Fishies "Aquastik Epoxy"
•Black Window Film put on the back so it has a cleaner look / hides the wires
•Also already cycling with BioSpira + Dr Tim's Bottled Ammonia

And that's it for now, but not for long! GCE (Gulf Coast Ecosystems aka Live-plants.com) isn't shipping until November 1st as they're currently on a (well deserved) break and currently on a hiatus. But I did order ahead, and a big order of at least 4 different Macros coming from them so that's going to be extremely exciting! Also next week hopefully, I have something coming from Ebay that's one of the more uncommon species of Gracilaria, and has a really interesting growth pattern.

Stocking wise, things im 100% wanting are:
-Sexy Shrimp
-Lima Shrimp Pair of Crinoid Squat Lobster (maybe both but idk about territory issues/aggression)
-Toadstool of some kind, mainly one that has long polyps
-Leptogorgia Virgulata of some color. Seahorse Savvy has the Purple, Yellow, Orange, and what I believe is the Red color as well. This is going to be one of my last additions as is it as an NPS, and I want to see which color would contrast / compliment the tank perfectly as the Macros grow.
-Golden Plume Gorg (If there is space)
-Feather Dusters & Coco Worm ( I have a Christmas Tree Rock that's going on close to 9 months strong which may make the move (it's 4th tank move lol) + the coco worm I'm thinking about adding. That is currently regrowing it's crown since it dropped after it moved tanks, but it's growing and seems healthy)
-Electric Flame Scallop and Purple Tiger Scallop (i've had success with the Flame and Electric Flame in the past, 11 months is my best and only attempt since they ended up passing after a tank crash :(
-ALL THE MACROS I CAN GET (I'm local to some legends since I'm close to Seattle like Tigahboy so maybe in the near future i can make a trade with him for some of his Blue Hypnea or Cryptonemia :)

Things I'm sort of certain about (Feel free to leave suggestions below)
-Possible Highfin (banded) / Candy Cane "Shrimp / Goby Pair".
•Possume Wrasse (50/50 about this one since some people say they need tanks bigger than 10G, but we'll see)
•Nano Gobies of some sort are some im really wanting, which species, thats the part I'm uncertain about since there's so many! A couple of my top options are:
@Biota_Marine 's E. Prasites, E. Queenslandica, or E. Atriventris,
I'm not sure on the compatibility of Eviota species with each other in small tanks, so I was thinking a group of 6 of 1 species, or a 3/3 split of 2 species.

I would do the Possume Wrasse + Shrimp/ Goby Pair or just the 6 Eviota Gobies.

I hope everyone enjoys this thread, and I hope you join along the journey!
Excited to see how this tank turns out! The various trimma and eviota species get along pretty well with each other so you can mix and match. Some prefer hanging out under overhangs so that one on the left side of your tank might be some disputed territory. We also have Eviota brahmi that I haven't put up on the site yet if you're looking at other options.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see how this tank turns out! The various trimma and eviota species get along pretty well with each other so you can mix and match. Some prefer hanging out under overhangs so that one on the left side of your tank might be some disputed territory. We also have Eviota brahmi that I haven't put up on the site yet if you're looking at other options.
Thank you! I was just about to ask that as well! I saw Noah's Nanos on Instagram had a E. Brahmi and E. Lachdeberei and was told they're captive bred by you guys. I'll definitely looking into the E. Brahmi, especially because that Dorsal Fin is super nice

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates have been sparse but things are starting to kick into high gear! Starting off, I got a decent sized chunk of King Thorn Gracilaria (Gracilaria sp.) From Sustainable Ocean on Ebay. After talking to @reddevilant and seeing the way theirs grew, I had to get some for myself this piece grows curved branches + gets some small spikes to its branches as opposed to normal Gracilaria which just has straight branches. Currently experimenting with different Flow + Light spots since right now it looks more like a Gorg with how much flow it's getting lol

The tank is fully cycled! Parameters as of today (Halloween) are:
•Ammonia: 0
•Nitrite: 0
•Nitrates: 18ppm
•Phosphates: 0.06
The levels of Nitrate and Phos are welcome since it is a Macro tank after all

I also just added a whole bottle of Reef Nutrition Red Tigger Copepods. There won't be any fish in here for a while, so these guys should breed pretty well with phyto feedings. I will post some Macro shots of them later.

That's all the updates for now! GCE (Gulf Coast Ecosystems) starts shipping again tomorrow so maybe my big order with them will come this week as well. Also, it looks like The Philippines (Phil V is what the area is called) seems to be exporting in small amounts after being plagued with Covid so the opportunity to get some of the Rarest Nano Gobies might be open again, and I will 100% jump on the opportunity to get them. Those guys + Biota Captive Bred Eviots will make this tank shine. Stay Tuned :)

20211031_010549.jpg
20211031_010613.jpg
20211031_010631.jpg
20211031_010549.jpg
20211031_010613.jpg
20211031_010631.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find my lenses unfortunately but some of them were able to stay on this rock for me to get a shot. There's at least a few hundred in here now, and it seems like overnight they've found spots in the rock and sand. Hoping they breed a lot!
20211031_234523.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back