NYC's 30 Gallon Waterbox.

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time here on R2R!!

To start, this is my 4th tank up. I like to think I have a decent grasp on this hobby. I mixed my first batch of salt back 2008, when I was living back home in Detroit. It was a standard 20. Failed a lot with that tank, but learned a lot as well. After a year or so, my brother and I upgraded to a 75 standard and then to an 85 cube shortly after. The 85 reef is still up and running in Detroit.

Having moved to NYC and missing the smell of skimate, I planned for my next tank. Took about 5 months of planning/saving, but I finally set up my Waterbox 30 AIO. It is in my tiny NYC apartment. With unlimited water. So grateful that I do not have a water bill to pay for. I guess it is offset by my $$ rent. Anyways, as much as I like volume in a tank, I choose an AIO to simply save space and utilize the stand as storage instead of a sump. Enough chit chat. Here are the details.

• Tank: Waterbox 30 Shallow + Stand
  • Lights : AI Hydra 26
  • Flow: Maxspect Gyre 230
  • Skimmer: AquaMaxx WS-1
  • Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w
  • Control: Neptune APEX
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Rockwork: 20lbs TLF-STAXs with Caribsea's Arag-Alive
  • Media: Chemi-Pure Elite MarinePureBio-Filter Media
Coron-5.jpg
Coron-3.jpg

Coron-4.jpg

Coron-4.jpg

Coron-6.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Nice tank!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to post a build thread in "Member tanks" so we can all follow along, and include lots of pictures :)

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up the same tank about 2 months ago. I'm using it for a frag tank only. Love the detail on the WB. I have a Red Sea but my next large tank will be a Waterbox

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up the same tank about 2 months ago. I'm using it for a frag tank only. Love the detail on the WB. I have a Red Sea but my next large tank will be a Waterbox
that's awesome! I can't wait to fill her up. what are you running on your frag tank? I'm thinking of a small algae scrubber.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Love how it looks in your home! :) Welcome to the family!

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tunze skimmer and the media rack that comes with it . Also 2 AI primes

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time here on R2R!!

To start, this is my 4th tank up. I like to think I have a decent grasp on this hobby. I mixed my first batch of salt back 2008, when I was living back home in Detroit. It was a standard 20. Failed a lot with that tank, but learned a lot as well. After a year or so, my brother and I upgraded to a 75 standard and then to an 85 cube shortly after. The 85 reef is still up and running in Detroit.

Having moved to NYC and missing the smell of skimate, I planned for my next tank. Took about 5 months of planning/saving, but I finally set up my Waterbox 30 AIO. It is in my tiny NYC apartment. With unlimited water. So grateful that I do not have a water bill to pay for. I guess it is offset by my $$ rent. Anyways, as much as I like volume in a tank, I choose an AIO to simply save space and utilize the stand as storage instead of a sump. Enough chit chat. Here are the details.

• Tank: Waterbox 30 Shallow + Stand
  • Lights : AI Hydra 26
  • Flow: Maxspect Gyre 230
  • Skimmer: AquaMaxx WS-1
  • Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w
  • Control: Neptune APEX
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Rockwork: 20lbs TLF-STAXs with Caribsea's Arag-Alive
  • Media: Chemi-Pure Elite MarinePureBio-Filter Media
Coron-5.jpg
Coron-3.jpg

Coron-4.jpg

Coron-4.jpg

Coron-6.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Welcome! Nice setup and I really love that aquascape. I considered the 30 Gallon Classic with stand myself. At the time the hefty $150 shipping fee turned me off. It does appear they now offer free shipping.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Nice setup and I really love that aquascape. I considered the 30 Gallon Classic with stand myself. At the time the hefty $150 shipping fee turned me off. It does appear they now offer free shipping.

Good luck!
thanks! you from NY as well?? I decided to take the jump on the two little fish STAX for the aquascape. Overall I am pretty happy the quality but I do wish they package the rocks better in the future. It is literally the rocks in a bag in a box with paper stuffed in. several pieces broke en route. $150 is a lot. I ended paying $50 for shipping.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! you from NY as well?? I decided to take the jump on the two little fish STAX for the aquascape. Overall I am pretty happy the quality but I do wish they package the rocks better in the future. It is literally the rocks in a bag in a box with paper stuffed in. several pieces broke en route. $150 is a lot. I ended paying $50 for shipping.

I like your scape as well. I got the same 20# box of Stax Rock from Marine Depot with free shipping, $50.00 is steep. I’m using mine as substrate to cover the bottom of a IM 50 Lagoon.

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your scape as well. I got the same 20# box of Stax Rock from Marine Depot with free shipping, $50.00 is steep. I’m using mine as substrate to cover the bottom of a IM 50 Lagoon.
Oh I paid $50 for the shipping of my waterbox. I got my STAX free shipping. I wish I had room for a IM 50 Lagoon.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I paid $50 for the shipping of my waterbox. I got my STAX free shipping. I wish I had room for a IM 50 Lagoon.

My bad, I misunderstood what the shipping was for. The Lagoon 50 has some nice dimensions but I’m still trying to figure out my scape. It’s not wet yet so it’s still easy to move things around.

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally added some livestock to the tank! 7 Trochus snails and 1 scarlet hermit crab to be exact. The snails went straight to work cleaning the glass and rock. One trochus wasnt feeling the waterbox and decided to Shawshank redemption it. Next plans are to add more CC and or pods. Enjoy the photos!

reef (3 of 11).jpg
reef (7 of 11).jpg
reef (5 of 11).jpg
reef (11 of 11).jpg
reef (10 of 11).jpg
reef (9 of 11).jpg
reef (2 of 11).jpg

reef (6 of 11).jpg

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
I love the scape, I absolutely am digging your lagoon. I saw this in prototype phase, prior to ISO. When the designs were being finalized, I pushed with the owner of WB to ensure that these tanks would be open for other options as far as equipment goes. That said, the larger filtration area was always going to be a selling point over IM. The seams are much nicer, and the glass is also nicer, so it is hard to categorize these with JB, IM, RS and the likes. Your scape is perfect for the shallow design, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Choice in lighting is brilliant and simple, but will likely be quite efficient and should more than do the trick. I too use the Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer, I would imagine the depth is perfect and the skimmer likely needed no stand, unlike mine :) Have you decided on what type of corals? Impatiently awaiting, LOL! Great job :)

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
I love the scape, I absolutely am digging your lagoon. I saw this in prototype phase, prior to ISO. When the designs were being finalized, I pushed with the owner of WB to ensure that these tanks would be open for other options as far as equipment goes. That said, the larger filtration area was always going to be a selling point over IM. The seams are much nicer, and the glass is also nicer, so it is hard to categorize these with JB, IM, RS and the likes. Your scape is perfect for the shallow design, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Choice in lighting is brilliant and simple, but will likely be quite efficient and should more than do the trick. I too use the Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer, I would imagine the depth is perfect and the skimmer likely needed no stand, unlike mine :) Have you decided on what type of corals? Impatiently awaiting, LOL! Great job :)
thanks Perry! I appreciate all the kind words. I was really torn between the IM 25 and the WB 30. I'm glad I went with the WB30. There is def more space for things in the back / sump area. The skimmer fits like a glove. I do wish the return pump fit better. it's not sitting flat but it's not a big deal for me. as far as coral goes, I'm planning a mixed reef. =) I'm trying to keep things on the lower maintanance as possible. more pics to come soon!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back