NYC's 30 Gallon Waterbox

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time here on R2R!!

To start, this is my 4th tank up. I like to think I have a decent grasp on this hobby. I mixed my first batch of salt back 2008, when I was living back home in Detroit. It was a standard 20. Failed a lot with that tank, but learned a lot as well. After a year or so, my brother and I upgraded to a 75 standard and then to an 85 cube shortly after. The 85 reef is still up and running in Detroit.

Having moved to NYC and missing the smell of skimate, I planned for my next tank. Took about 5 months of planning/saving, but I finally set up my Waterbox 30 AIO. It is in my tiny NYC apartment. With unlimited water. So grateful that I do not have a water bill to pay for. I guess it is offset by my $$ rent. Anyways, as much as I like volume in a tank, I choose an AIO to simply save space and utilize the stand as storage instead of a sump. Enough chit chat. Here are the details.

• Tank: Waterbox 30 Shallow + Stand
  • Lights : AI Hydra 26
  • Flow: Maxspect Gyre 230
  • Skimmer: AquaMaxx WS-1
  • Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w
  • Control: Neptune APEX
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Rockwork: 20lbs TLF-STAXs with Caribsea's Arag-Alive
  • Media: Chemi-Pure Elite MarinePureBio-Filter Media
Coron-3.jpg
Coron-4.jpg
Coron-5.jpg
Coron-6.jpg

Stay tuned for more pictures, updates and maybe videos...

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool, man. I think you're one of the first people I've seen use those stacking live-rocks. Any thoughts on them so far?

OP
OP
Heyy_KB

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool, man. I think you're one of the first people I've seen use those stacking live-rocks. Any thoughts on them so far?

Thanks! Yeah, I saw them at reefapalooza and decided to take the jump. I wish I took pictures of the packaging. I dont want to say they easily break but packaging could be better. Couple of peices broke near the ends. As far as stacking, it is fun to play with. Took a while to find something I liked. I wish they had some sort of "top" piece to place on the highest stack to break the monotonous flat top lool. Im sure once I place coral in the tank it will look better, but overall I am happy with the STAX.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How are you liking your equipment choices?

It's a great looking setup

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, I saw them at reefapalooza and decided to take the jump. I wish I took pictures of the packaging. I dont want to say they easily break but packaging could be better. Couple of peices broke near the ends. As far as stacking, it is fun to play with. Took a while to find something I liked. I wish they had some sort of "top" piece to place on the highest stack to break the monotonous flat top lool. Im sure once I place coral in the tank it will look better, but overall I am happy with the STAX.
I'm looking at this tank, any updates and new pics?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back