nyos 120 skimmer constantly overflows

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this skimmer for about 3 months now running in a holding tank at about 5-6 inches of water and its ran fine. The main tank finally cycled so I cleaned the skimmer, put it all back together and moved it to my sump of the display tank which is about 8.5 inches of water. All this thing does is filled with bubble water and overflow. I have the valve all the way open and ive tried moving the main tube around to see if that will help. I dont know what else to try and do except for raising the skimmer up onto a stand

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the water like dechlorinator or anything? I've found some additives will make the skimmer go crazy. I've added a valve to my air intake so I can control this a little bit more. But maybe lowering the water line or lifting the skimmer up might help it

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the water like dechlorinator or anything? I've found some additives will make the skimmer go crazy. I've added a valve to my air intake so I can control this a little bit more. But maybe lowering the water line or lifting the skimmer up might help it
nope haven't added a thing. only thing that was in the tank was Brightwell XLM to cycle the tank but that was well over a two weeks ago

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didnyou use to clean the skimmer? Did younhappen to change filter floss agter the cycle? My skimmer will periodically get upset when I replace the floss.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didnyou use to clean the skimmer? Did younhappen to change filter floss agter the cycle? My skimmer will periodically get upset when I replace the floss.
Just regular tap water and no changes to filter socks

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did You open the output up after putting it in deeper water? The water height impacts pressure and the air/water ratio being pulled into the tank

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did You open the output up after putting it in deeper water? The water height impacts pressure and the air/water ratio being pulled into the tank
yup its all the way open

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other person. You need to raise the skimmer to sit in closer to 5.5" of water
Even though the instructions say 8+? I will lift it anyways tomorrow after I build a little stand for it

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the instructions say 8+? I will lift it anyways tomorrow after I build a little stand for it
I've had somw skimmers work within the suggested levels and some not. I always consider them more of a guideline than a rule.

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my nyos, after turning the valve to fully open like the instructions said. Then started to close it but by bit and got to where I wanted it to be. Plus playing with the air valve starting at fully closed

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's because its a new tank and sump its making it go nuts. its the only thing I can think of since it was fine in the holding tank

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always ran no skimmers if you want to give it a try. I hate them.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that skimmers mostly pull out bacteria and trace elements so im kinda on the fence about it. Ph boost is nice though. Without my tank runs about 7.9, with it runs 8.2 almost indefinitely.

s70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned my Nyos last week and it is like starting from scratch again. I think I had to go through the break in period again.

I would play with the air a little more. The more you open it the lower the bubbles start.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back