Nyos 120 Skimmer

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos 120 skimmer and have had it on and overflowing for over 2 weeks just so it could break in. During this time (per the instructions), I had the air open the entire way and the course and fine adjustments open the entire way. Set like this, the bubbles would just overflow rapidly. I feel that enough time has gone by now to start fine tuning the skimmer. With that said, I haven't had much success. Any adjustments I make seem to fill the cup with water quickly. It starts out as bubbles but it collects so many bubbles rapidly that it just turns into a cup of water that eventually overflows. As of today (roughly the last 30 minutes), I now have the course and fine tuning still open completely but I have the air completely closed and the attached video is the result. This is a much better result then previously but I feel like having the air completely closed isn't the best solution. I also have the water level at the recommended 8" for this skimmer as of right now. What kind of recommendations do you all have for me to get this things properly tuned? I will post an update in an hour or so with the results of my collection cup since making the changes described here. It has been troublesome trying to figure this thing out. Glad to hear any suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.MOV
    15.4 MB

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) for the skimmer to work properly it needed sufficient bioload
2) 8” water level is correct
3) level control tube (see picture) need to face skimmer body
4)when turning water control tube to close(to raise water level)

Attachments

• 6280527D-5969-4AC9-A2F1-8EB329B29BC7.jpeg
    6280527D-5969-4AC9-A2F1-8EB329B29BC7.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 39
  • FEF8DE3B-AD83-4B02-BC6B-FF674BA779EF.jpeg
    FEF8DE3B-AD83-4B02-BC6B-FF674BA779EF.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 39

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your skimmer is still breaking I'm or there is something in the water is causing it to go nut.
Not sure why you have to close the air valve but it is usually the opposite for my Nyos 220(closing the air willI caused overflow)
I am recommending that you open the air all the way, slightly lift the collection cup off so some of the bubbles/water will escape and not overflow the cup.
Also, my 220 has the mixed bubbles just a little bit below the purple "Q" logo. For some reasons, your is way below that.

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) for the skimmer to work properly it needed sufficient bioload
2) 8” water level is correct
3) level control tube (see picture) need to face skimmer body
4)when turning water control tube to close(to raise water level)
I do have a light bioload in this system right now so maybe that will be the overall issue. More bioload with be added come the 1st when I can start adding more fish from QT. My level control tube is facing the skimmer body so that should be fine. I have not closed the control tube at all still fully open so I can play with that some more but maybe I will wait until I add additional fish.

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your skimmer is still breaking I'm or there is something in the water is causing it to go nut.
Not sure why you have to close the air valve but it is usually the opposite for my Nyos 220(closing the air willI caused overflow)
I am recommending that you open the air all the way, slightly lift the collection cup off so some of the bubbles/water will escape and not overflow the cup.
Also, my 220 has the mixed bubbles just a little bit below the purple "Q" logo. For some reasons, your is way below that.
Would the difference in the mixed bubble level from mine to your be resolved by me closing the water level valve some to raise water level?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the difference in the mixed bubble level from mine to your be resolved by me closing the water level valve some to raise water level?
Yes, closing the outlet will raise the water level hence the mixed bubble level.
However, I would just let yours run with the collection cup slightly open to break it in.
As mentioned above, the skimmer is only tuneable once you have stable bioload so I wouldn't worry about tuning until you have your fishes in the tank.

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, closing the outlet will raise the water level hence the mixed bubble level.
However, I would just let yours run with the collection cup slightly open to break it in.
As mentioned above, the skimmer is only tuneable once you have stable bioload so I wouldn't worry about tuning until you have your fishes in the tank.
Awesome. Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back