Observation Quarantine - worth it or not?

Please choose any that apply to you

• 1. I do not use quarantine at all.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • 2. I use observation quarantine with prophylactic treatmetn

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • 3. If a fish develops a disease during Observation I do NOT treat it

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 4. If a fish develops a disease, I treat it alone

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 5. If a fish develops a disease, I treat all the fish in that group

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • 6. It is ethical to try to let a fish 'heal' from a disease like CI without treatment

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 7. It is unethical to not treat a disease if its apparent during Quarantine

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • 8. I don't like polls with this many questions!

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scary part here is the decision to transfer from an observation tank into DT. I've always dropped and prayed for 5-7 yrs successfully, but it was only in a 65 gallon so wasn't many fish nor frequent additions. Most were there for year thus developed some immunity. I didn't have a tank wipeout until I upgraded to a 180 and then went through a period of stocking. This is when my luck ran out and entire new tank (including original inhabits from old tank) was wiped out. Sad days and now I'm QT'ing (2 weeks copper + transfer to sterile tank for observation)

I do have a 2nd tank where I'm housing anthias since they don't copper well. While I don't physically see any issues, that doesn't mean it's not there. And adding them to a fallow'ed tank + QTed fish introduces a risk to the entire effort over the last several months.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a chunk of blue clove polyps from a "local" reefer, and promptly put it in my pest jar (after inspecting and dipping) where it could play with the aiptasia and majanos. Three months later, and I've got caulerpa erupting from that rock in a green riot: I actually spent a few hours last night plucking it from the aquascape. Disease isn't the only reason for quarantine.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a chunk of blue clove polyps from a "local" reefer, and promptly put it in my pest jar (after inspecting and dipping) where it could play with the aiptasia and majanos. Three months later, and I've got caulerpa erupting from that rock in a green riot: I actually spent a few hours last night plucking it from the aquascape. Disease isn't the only reason for quarantine.
You're correct - things can grow back months or even years after being 'eradicated' (supposedly). The problem is no one quarantines for 6 months, etc.

What is interesting about this poll - is that more than 70 percent of people (who took this poll) - do not quarantine - or do observation QT with treatment only if a disease is present. It also seems - from the responses that most people do not notice any disease during observational quarantine.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use observational QT for everything (fish, coral, inverts, rock, etc) and medicate if necessary in a different tank. I've only ever needed to medicate one fish, a captive-bred clowfish from Petco about 16 years ago.

For context, every fish I have ever bought has been captive bred except for two, one six line about 7 years ago and a neon goby about 11 years ago.

1) 0%
2) 0%
3) 0%
4) 0%
Thinking of doing this with a mandarin.

from good lfs, safety stop to start, leave in qt for over a month assuming If infected it will show. Use to train on frozen food instead of pods

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been Quarantining since 2005, when I adopted a reef tank (not my first tank, that was in 1991) in 2003 that was riddled with Ich, HLLE, flatworms and more. My tanks from the 90's never had problems with disease or parasites or mysterious deaths that I know of. Did I just get lucky? I think so. But the tank I adopted in 2003 showed me another reality I'd been lucky to escape & I after researching on Reef Central, I finally broke down and planned my QT attack and did a full Hyposalinity of all fish as my very first (and very successful) Ich eradication QT effort.

Have been running Hyposalinity for all new fish since, and all fish and corals get a minimum of 8 weeks in QT. My QT tank processes are 100% automated, so it's not troublesome or laborious at all.

So these questions below speak of that adopted tank I acquired in 2003. The q's 1 & 4 seemed a little vague, so I clarified how I was reading them to ensure the answers given are what was being asked.

1). The percent of fish that died (assuming you mean without QT).
25%

2). The percent of fish the developed disease and recovered without treatment,
0%

3). The percent of fish that developed disease and were treated and
100%

4). The percent that died (as a result of or there-after QT):
0%
Looking to get a mandarin and didn’t want to qt in copper. Is hyposalinty an option? Was really looking for the best non medicated way to qt it before going in the display tank. I’m in no rush too. Was planning on at least a month of qt observation.
Thoughts?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a mandarin and didn’t want to qt in copper. Is hyposalinty an option? Was really looking for the best non medicated way to qt it before going in the display tank. I’m in no rush too. Was planning on at least a month of qt observation.
Thoughts?

Hybrid TTM then observe.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g that i setup to observation QT for 30 days. I watch the new fish for any signs of illness and to make sure they are eating well. I will treat with meds if there is a need. Not the best QT method but has been ok for me so far.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks observation, no symptoms = no treatment.

Or I just buy from New Wave and plop them in.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

not familiar with hybrid ttm tho

is safety stop safe for mandarin to start?

I don't use saftey stop. I don't care to expose things to formalin but I know it is popular.

Last edited:

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't use saftey stop. I don't care to expose things to formalin but I know it is popular.
So 2 tanks, 4 total transfers between them?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back