Obsession: Your reef is better because you quit doing this?

Do you have obsessions that you think could be unhealthy for your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 31.3%
  • NO

Votes: 162 46.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 75 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped one bad habit (Specifically "Whenever things got better with Corals", I would get excited I and would "Make changes to improve things more") ... that just made things worse and I would be back at square-one and the reset would take time all over again....Vicious Cycle.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're always looking to make our reef better and a lot of times we equate that to doing more, adding more, tinkering more etc. And while there are some things that we can do to make our reef a better reef there are also some things that we can QUIT doing that could cause improvement as well. Today let's talk about it!

1. What is something that you QUIT doing that caused your reef tank to do and be better?

2. What do you obsess over when it comes to your tank?

A reef to inspire you via @TUSI
image005.jpg

If I'm being 100% honest.

1. Water Changes

2. Coming up with excuses to avoid maintenance.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was never a specific thing I was doing, but I'm just OCD when it comes to tests, tank layout, equipment cleaning.....everything lol. I just learned to let it be and only feed and clean equipment when needed. As long as everyone is fed, and looks happy and the glass is clean everything will be fine. Took almost a year to get here but eventually leave your tank alone and just enjoy watching the animals interact with their environment!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my current tank hasn’t even seen water yet, I learned from my last system not to make constant changes. My bigger tank needed new lights that fried the corals. New white rock needed more critters but the gulf aquacultured rock brought crabs that killed my small fish. This time around I want to set it up and not make changes for a couple years.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing for me was waiting more time between changing anything. I removed a Jebao pump and replaced it with another AI Nero so I could sync them. Stuff's doing better now, but everything was confused and annoyed for a week.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm trying to read my corals more to see if there are any problems. I also swapped to testing alk daily. While this is technically more, I think having a closer eye on alk while my tank matures is a good idea.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't stopped yet , but I am getting a little better. I make changes too often.

Changes to flow (look at the torch it it too much flow, now not enough for the Duncan. Up and down)

Changes to lighting. It's too bright, it's too dark. Up and down.

Changes to dosing. I have a new thread on this one right now.

I need to just stop messing with it and let everything g get acclimated, but we get so worried when one coral does not look perfect.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is something that you QUIT doing that caused your reef tank to do and be better?

I stopped experimenting with all the quick fixes and just came to the resolution that time and small adjustment work better.

BlakeStew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with water changes I used to dose calcium and alkalinity, growth increased a little bit but it was to difficult to keep it at the numbers I was wanting, ended up losing a few pieces and decide to just go with the water change route. Since making that choice the tank has really thrived, acros growing and euphyllia splitting like wild. All in a 20 gallon, so maintenance and just letting your corals "tell" you what they need seems to be foolproof IMO

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stopped relying on chemical media for quick fix solutions to an issue. I have tried to go with a more natural focus with only a bag of carbon in my sump and my skimmer. Controlling other things with proper feeding habits and tank husbandry as needed.
This is one of the biggest reasons I can't stand the FB groups that I'm in. Someone mentions something they want to change in their tank and the immediate answer is always dumping in some chemical. Then they don't understand why they consistently have the same problem or things start spiraling out of control.

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Stopped vacuuming the sand with water changes. All it did was muck up my water and stir too much into the column. 2 fighting conch and some nassarius keep my sand plenty cleaned and aerated.

2. When I make corrections, I do them to fast sometimes. I dosed AFR to increase my alkalinity by a point after adding stony corals dropped it to 6.7 and everything closed up for several days. I should have done it more gradually, and as typing this am going to go home and split my doses into multiple times daily instead of once at night.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Julian Sprungs book, and spend the time you would spend screwing with your tank reading the book. If you quit screwing with your tank, stop adding gear and livestock someone says you need and stick to the basics, you will be happier with your results.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back