Octo Pulse 2+ overkill for IM 20G?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running 2x Hydor Koralia Nanos with a wave maker controller on my IM Nuvo 20 AIO. Only one runs at a time and they switch every 15 minutes. I was looking at more current options and the new OCTO pulse 2+ looks nice and has some nice fine control with the app and whatnot.

My concern is that the octo Pulse is rated for quite a bit more flow than my current setup. I was looking for info about whether or not the gph rating was at 100% power but not having much luck.

I've also recently added clowns so I'm trying to cognizant of the flow since they sometimes seem to be fighting the current:

Any thoughts?

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep what you have unless you have specific goals on certain corals that will benefit from the higher flow. Tank looks nice.

If you want to ball out, I would get 2 octopulse with a wave engine light edition. Subjectively, your flow looks low to me but you aren't keeping anything too demanding besides the torches. You can tune the octopulse down to whatever you need.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep what you have unless you have specific goals on certain corals that will benefit from the higher flow. Tank looks nice.

If you want to ball out, I would get 2 octopulse with a wave engine light edition. Subjectively, your flow looks low to me but you aren't keeping anything too demanding besides the torches. You can tune the octopulse down to whatever you need.
Will there be enough "dead zone" or areas for the clowns to find a spot to chill? That's my main concern at the moment on a tank of this size. I've been eyeing the octopulse primarily for the finer control and better programming for things like feeding and day/night changes.

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 fluval and could never get the nano sized pumps to do what I want. I ended up sticking a spare Nero 5 from my bigger tank in there and love it. Overkill? Certainly, but my tank is rocking how I like now. I think the octopulse 2 will work just fine.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 40 “cube” (not the long) and I run two Octopulse 2 pumps on a Wave Engine opposite each rather in a sine wave. As one pump ramps up, the other down and vice versa. They are amazing pumps and their controllability is impressive with the Wave Engine. I run them at about 50% so you would probably have them a little less.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 40 “cube” (not the long) and I run two Octopulse 2 pumps on a Wave Engine opposite each rather in a sine wave. As one pump ramps up, the other down and vice versa. They are amazing pumps and their controllability is impressive with the Wave Engine. I run them at about 50% so you would probably have them a little less.
Awesome, glad to hear it! Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back