Octo varios pump controller

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Octo varios 2pump and have noticed on the side of the controller it has multiple connection points.

I know the bottom one is for the float switch that it comes with, however what are the other 2 for? Additional floats?

16057477979172154603896606978741.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumped! What year was it manufactured in? I have only seen the controller with a single float switch connection... And, where did you get it?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a bit of research and I think I have the answer. This is from a 2015 article so it looks like you have an old new stock controller unless you bought it used, but, you said new, so...
"An additional two serial buses on the side of the VarioS controller are there to integrate with a forthcoming full-fledged controller from Reef Octopus tentatively called the ‘Aqua Logic".
Additionally, I just found this thread.

Apparently, they were to be used for this controller that I can't find anywhere for sale or release.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a bit of research and I think I have the answer. This is from a 2015 article so it looks like you have an old new stock controller unless you bought it used, but, you said new, so...
"An additional two serial buses on the side of the VarioS controller are there to integrate with a forthcoming full-fledged controller from Reef Octopus tentatively called the ‘Aqua Logic".
Additionally, I just found this thread.

Apparently, they were to be used for this controller that I can't find anywhere for sale or release.
Ok, its brand new from my local fish store gallery aquarium in Perth Australia. Next time im in there I might ask the question. So much for getting the latest equipment..

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have the mfg. date on the pump/controller labeling or the box somewhere...

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I've got the same pump as yourself @ReefRusty . Mine also comes with the 3 ports on the side, also bought brand new.

Did you just use PVC glue on the barb fitting so it fit the hose that the waterbox comes with ? (ie to connect the two pieces below as the one of the left whilst fitting snuggly, doesn't appear to fit very tight and I think it'd just blow off if I tried to pump through it.
20210107_121047.jpg

Wish the pump came with a better instruction manual, not everyone has set up this stuff before :p

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I've got the same pump as yourself @ReefRusty . Mine also comes with the 3 ports on the side, also bought brand new.

Did you just use PVC glue on the barb fitting so it fit the hose that the waterbox comes with ? (ie to connect the two pieces below as the one of the left whilst fitting snuggly, doesn't appear to fit very tight and I think it'd just blow off if I tried to pump through it.

Yeah pressure pipe pvc glue for the pipe to connector then it all should screw on from memory.

Controller has 5 speeds, mine works best on speed 2 with the flow ball valve. However when i switch it off and start it back up again, i need to play with thw speed up and down to get the water level right again. Annoying but dont know what else to do

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller has 5 speeds, mine works best on speed 2 with the flow ball valve. However when i switch it off and start it back up again, i need to play with thw speed up and down to get the water level right again. Annoying but dont know what else to do

Do you mean the red handle bit on the drain pipes ? I'm not too sure what that's all about. I swear the more I learn and look into this hobby the more complex and things there is to know!
Crazy stuff though.

I think at some point I want to cable manage in the sump cabinet but for today I'll just make it as tidy as possible and get to finish filling her up and getting the pump going.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had the power board ect inside the sump for 2 weeks and caught it hanging above the water. Re did all the cabling now.

Hard to hide the cables tho..lucky my tank is in a corner and have some good space behind the tank that I can still access. Maybe enough room for a chiller and a UV if i need one.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back