Wow Mine made it to the last count even using my phone for the picture
Gonna have to get myself a camera soon

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I missing something? Please explain 13 for me it has the most votes. It was the only one that didn’t have any clarity. Is it some special creation with camera settings. All the other ones have clear focus. Maybe I’m missing something 84 other people saw.

Maybe it’s a lights out picture

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done, it was a hard decision, they're all pretty awesome :)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I missing something? Please explain 13 for me it has the most votes. It was the only one that didn’t have any clarity. Is it some special creation with camera settings. All the other ones have clear focus. Maybe I’m missing something 84 other people saw.

Maybe it’s a lights out picture

Pics are totally different on a cell phone compared to a larger computer monitor.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pics of the month able to edit the photos to "POP" more color? Or do they have to be natural? I think they should have to be legit, natural photos without any editing.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pics of the month able to edit the photos to "POP" more color? Or do they have to be natural? I think they should have to be legit, natural photos without any editing.

Post-production editing is certainly allowed, and in fact, encouraged. Although I understand the sentiment of your message, this is a photography competition and we're looking for the best photograph.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post-production editing is certainly allowed, and in fact, encouraged. Although I understand the sentiment of your message, this is a photography competition and we're looking for the best photograph.

Gotcha. So in reality it has nothing to do with how the coral actually looks. You can add as much color as you want because it makes for a nicer picture. So you can basically take a drap coral, make it completely different colors, add color where there isn't any, ect....

Sounds like a Photoshop contest in a certain regard, lol. But I understand the guidlines now. Thanks for the info.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So in reality it has nothing to do with how the coral actually looks. You can add as much color as you want because it makes for a nicer picture. So you can basically take a drap coral, make it completely different colors, add color where there isn't any, ect....

Sounds like a Photoshop contest in a certain regard, lol. But I understand the guidlines now. Thanks for the info.

That's not it at all.

There's a difference in altering a photo to make a coral look nice to sell it and editing a photo so it's optimal viewing pleasure. :)

A brown coral edited to look some usual color probably still won't win. A blue hippo tang edited to be pink and gold isn't gonna win either. A good photo edited for crop/center; color correction or sprucing it up to make it presentable is totally acceptable and encouraged IMO.

I've seen many good shots that didn't win because they didn't take the time to edit to make simple edits to make it stand out.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not it at all.

There's a difference in altering a photo to make a coral look nice to sell it and editing a photo so it's optimal viewing pleasure. :)

A brown coral edited to look some usual color probably still won't win. A blue hippo tang edited to be pink and gold isn't gonna win either. A good photo edited for crop/center; color correction or sprucing it up to make it presentable is totally acceptable and encouraged IMO.

I've seen many good shots that didn't win because they didn't take the time to edit to make simple edits to make it stand out.
13 has none of these qualities. It looks very blurry out of focus and like it was taken in the dark with a bad camera. I just don’t understand why people are voting for it when there are some really nice pictures to vote for other than that one. If it had been spruced up or a nice clean shot than it would be an awesome picture. I think people are voting for it because it probably is a really cool zoa and not voting for a quality photo which I would assume is the premise of a photo of the month contest.

Well I guess I just won’t get it and that’s ok. Not trying to be a jerk either. When I think of a photo of the month contest I think about color, clarity, focus, and some spiffing up is ok. I just don’t see that in that one compared to all the other ones.

Like me or hate me for it just my opinion.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 has none of these qualities. It looks very blurry out of focus and like it was taken in the dark with a bad camera. I just don’t understand why people are voting for it when there are some really nice pictures to vote for other than that one. If it had been spruced up or a nice clean shot than it would be an awesome picture. I think people are voting for it because it probably is a really cool zoa and not voting for a quality photo which I would assume is the premise of a photo of the month contest.

Well I guess I just won’t get it and that’s ok. Not trying to be a jerk either. When I think of a photo of the month contest I think about color, clarity, focus, and some spiffing up is ok. I just don’t see that in that one compared to all the other ones.

Like me or hate me for it just my opinion.

In this day and age, the majority of people are likely viewing these pics on a phone. Take a look at the same photo on a smaller device like an iPhone and it looks great.

I view the majority of thing on R2R on my phone but I won't vote for a photo until I can sit down at my computer and view the full size images.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made no difference viewing on my phone but it's a galaxy note 8 so it has a fantastic screen.

All the photos look the same as computer actually resolution on my phone is better then my computer lol.

You may have a point for other people' phones but I doubt it's a quality is vs. that zoa looks cool kind of thing.

Later back to my tank lol

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made no difference viewing on my phone but it's a galaxy note 8 so it has a fantastic screen.

All the photos look the same as computer actually resolution on my phone is better then my computer lol.

You may have a point for other people' phones but I doubt it's a quality is vs. that zoa looks cool kind of thing.

Later back to my tank lol
Looks clear on my phone, galaxy S7. Pic looks amazing and by the votes I'd say most agree. Also, maybe people are trying to be hardcore about the pic itself. Maybe others just like the way the coral looks? Its a fun contest nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back