Odd Question about Carpet Shampooing around a Fish Tank

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have heard some horror stories about people using Carpet Cleaners around their fish tanks and having disastrous results. I haven't shampooed the carpet since getting a tank but here is the setup. I have a 90 gallon tank with corner overflow with Glass Tops and the bottom of the tank sits about 3 feet off the ground on the stand. The front of the stand has a magnetic cover on it and behind it is my 29 gallon sump that is completely open inside the stand. My carpet shampooer is my Kirby Vacuum which cleans via foam rather than a spray. So the question is can I use this thing in the same room as the fish tank without adverse effect or do I need to give it a wide berth? My wife is wanting to clean the carpets in the living room and I want to make sure we aren't going to do any damage to the tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have heard some horror stories about people using Carpet Cleaners around their fish tanks and having disastrous results. I haven't shampooed the carpet since getting a tank but here is the setup. I have a 90 gallon tank with corner overflow with Glass Tops and the bottom of the tank sits about 3 feet off the ground on the stand. The front of the stand has a magnetic cover on it and behind it is my 29 gallon sump that is completely open inside the stand. My carpet shampooer is my Kirby Vacuum which cleans via foam rather than a spray. So the question is can I use this thing in the same room as the fish tank without adverse effect or do I need to give it a wide berth? My wife is wanting to clean the carpets in the living room and I want to make sure we aren't going to do any damage to the tank.
(lol)
I'm not going to put your reef on the line with my answer:

But... I think you'll be okay as long as you stay away from cans of aerosol carpet cleaner.

Tagging along for more feedback, from other reefers :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might turn off the skimmer for 24 hours so that the fumes don't enter the water. Can also run some activated carbon to reduce or remove any contaminants.

OP
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input folks. Sounds like it is a gamble. Would it work if we gave the tank a berth of a few feet around it?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back