odd/rare predators

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean gallery on rt 22. They are usually hiding but ask them about them and they'll show you. Maybe even call or message them on facebook for what species. They're beautiful but I don't know the species

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffer of some sort? I had a dogface puffer about a foot long many years ago. Great personality, neat fish.

Some of the big Angels would hold their own just fine, and there's some gorgeous ones out there.

A friend has a foot long spiny puffer, a dinner plate sized Koran angel, a pair of big blue tangs, a pair of big foxfaces, and some sort of dottyback that is at least 7" long. Active, attractive tank, with little aggressive behavior displayed... Oh, they'll push each other around some, but no damage is done.

Cleanup crew: Might consider using Urchins to handle the bulk of what you'd normally buy snails for. Many of the kinds of fish you're looking at will make a quick snack out of most snails.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean gallery on rt 22. They are usually hiding but ask them about them and they'll show you. Maybe even call or message them on facebook for what species. They're beautiful but I don't know the species
thats where I got my Thredfin snapper back in 97 or 98 lol.

Ok, hijack done :cool:

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the thread fin snapper. But at 2 feet I don't know how I feel about them in only a 8 foot tank. What do you guys think?

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him as a baby, kept him in a 55. Just about everyone is going to say that was a bad idea, but I only have that FOWL tank set up for 2 years, and that fish I had for the last year. His trailer fin was growing nicely and he was healthy. I broke the tank down and traded the livestock in for store credit.
Officially, maybe not the best idea but an 8 foot tank is pretty big.

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking of getting a shark or ray I would probably stay away from angels. They like to nip at their eyes and fins.

Good start point is small shark species, rays, groupers, lions, some puffers,snapper,tusks for foxface/squirrel fish are great tank mates too

The big hermits are good because they move around a lot and they are too big to get eaten.

Here's my 96x48x24

IMG_6871.PNG

zonatus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't get a blue devil, just because they prefer cooler waters that the other species you're looking at. Same goes for the horned shark.

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a Grouper, the Blue Spot Vampire Grouper. Everyone always has the Miniatus, Vtail, and Panther.

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though they might be common. A Lunar Wrasse would be a good addition. They are a wrasse that can hold their own with very aggressive tank mates.

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am biased toward Huma Triggers, and not sure why you wouldn’t want one just to have the personality they bring. Tough as nails, and happy go lucky as a Labrador Retriever.

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am biased toward Huma Triggers, and not sure why you wouldn’t want one just to have the personality they bring. Tough as nails, and happy go lucky as a Labrador Retriever.

Ryan.631

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to put a list of cool predator fish together that are not so common. I am in the processes of getting everything together for a 540 8-3-3 tank with a 200 gallon sump. I am going to do a few different types of lions, Harlequin tusk and zebra eel and marine betta. I am pretty sure I am going to stay away from triggers and puffers as everything I have read is its 50/50 on with they will kill lions.

Much appricated
I’m not sure if it’s a predator but I’ve always liked frog fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back