odd/rare predators

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to put a list of cool predator fish together that are not so common. I am in the processes of getting everything together for a 540 8-3-3 tank with a 200 gallon sump. I am going to do a few different types of lions, Harlequin tusk and zebra eel and marine betta. I am pretty sure I am going to stay away from triggers and puffers as everything I have read is its 50/50 on with they will kill lions.

Much appricated

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue throat killed two lions. :mad:;Rage;Punch Happened before I knew what was going on. ;Facepalm

A saddle back grouper.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liopropoma fasciatum or L. eukrines. They are each a 10" basslet that are exceptionally beautiful.

Red sea soapfish is cool too.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several groupers that are really beautiful and rhinopias are really cool, although I know nothing about them.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a blue devil? I have no experience with the them and have only seen them twice in person but think they are beautiful.
I just looked into them they are stunning. I am looking into finding one for sale now.

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should make some PVC tunnels beneath the rocks and get a Peacock Mantis shrimp. They're too small to mess with your predator fish, but are a blast to watch. Putting crabs into my Mantis tank is always a blast. Would be a nice little sideshow to all the predators in your tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea! What kind of lions are you planning? I do think a couple of different eels would be cool!

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fish but I love my giant hermits
MVIMG_20180207_192047.jpg

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea! What kind of lions are you planning? I do think a couple of different eels would be cool!
Well i'm in FL so I cant import any. I have been scuba diving since I was a little kid so the plan is to catch my own off the coast. Hopefully I can find more then just Volition.

I do plan on a zebra but I want to stay away from the piscavore eels as I don't want to come home missing hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of fish. From what I have seen and heard its not if they will kill and eat other fish its when. Any eels in particular that are more fish safe that you know of?

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should make some PVC tunnels beneath the rocks and get a Peacock Mantis shrimp. They're too small to mess with your predator fish, but are a blast to watch. Putting crabs into my Mantis tank is always a blast. Would be a nice little sideshow to all the predators in your tank.

As far as the mantis goes wouldn't the tusk eat it once the tusk got to around 8 or so inches?

Honestly I don't know much about them. How big do they get?

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the mantis goes wouldn't the tusk eat it once the tusk got to around 8 or so inches?

Honestly I don't know much about them. How big do they get?

That's a great point, I am actually not sure if the tusk would just eat it. It sounds like it would...

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Passer's angel. If I had an aggressive tank, there for sure would be one in it. I also LOVE Thalassoma wrasse, so I'd probably have either a T. hebracium or quinquevittatum. Polleni groupers are also sweet. Toss a sohal tang in there and you have an amazing tank! :)

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread fin snapper, it was glorious! There are other blue line types that look great.
Groupers, I had a V Tail and a miniatus. They are awesome, but there is a cool blue one, Cobalt grouper. Rare and $$$$$$.
Also, Louti grouper.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are located in Jersey by chance my LFS has several really awesome groupers that I know you could get a great deal on.

I second threadfin snappers too!

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which one? I'm up in North Jersey. Just curious which lfs in case I need to take a visit in the future hahaha

If you are located in Jersey by chance my LFS has several really awesome groupers that I know you could get a great deal on.

I second threadfin snappers too!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back