odd statement...

majestikmoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked up a fish book at goodwill(since their so cheap, i get them whether they are any good or not), and its a freshwater book, BUT...

towards the end, they had a chapter on damselfish, saying they could be acclimated to almost entirely freshwater. I found that really odd, i have never heard that before. Now, i have mollies going full salt, but have never heard of it going the other way around. Is this possible??
Dont get me wrong, im not hankering to try it, just wondering.

The book was written in '38, this edition is '66 though, so it may be your usual outdated bad advice.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that many fish that are saltwater can live in freshwater. But, I dont know the specifics of Damsels.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they prolly could I know they can live in some baaaaaad water!!

OP
OP
M

majestikmoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which (marine) fishes that you know of can live in full freshwater?
Would it have to be harder, af.cichlid type water i wonder?? This is interesting. If i knew it could be done safely, with the fish still experiencing a relatively normal captive lifespan, it may be neat to give it a try. From what i understand, getting the to actually spawn in such conditions is not really going to happen, though if everything else is normal, spawnign is not important to me. I know my mollies will and have given birth in full salt, but they are a brackish fish origionally.

i really wasn't sure about this, but i guess maybe it is ok, or at least possible?? Im sure the acclimation period would have to be painstaikingly slow. I wonder who decides to try these types of experiments the first time they are done?

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read on a book that one of the fish wholesellers forgot that he still had a lionfish on a holding tank and the salinity went up to like 1.057.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back