Offical Eco-Bak Thread

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if it is normal for bio pellets to look like this. The darker spots are actually cavities in the pellets
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362288127.533253.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1362288140.043861.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each company makes their pellets differently.

Here's a pic of the look and shape of Warner Marines ecoBAK pellets:
ebp.jpg

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just meant is it normal for the to develope cavities as opposed to decreasing in size uniformaly

I would say that would make sense, as the bacteria consumes the pellet it literally leave what appear to be like bite marks or cavities as you say.

But that is definitely not EcoBak that you are showing us, because ecobak does not do that at all it reduces down in various shapes and almost turns into slivers once completely consumed.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Mike! What 'mods' did you have to do to get that tumble?

U switch input and outputs and heat up a piece of pvc so its plyable and mold.it.over the hole in the top. Then smooth out the bottom so.no pellets get stuck. I used. Part of a funnel and a flat rubber sink stopper for the bottom. Theres a link a few pages back to more detailed instructions altho the sink stopper is.my idea.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my use of ecobak. Everyone knows ima big algae scrubber fan but after using ecobak i must say the product seemed to work well and i would advise anyone to use it who needs it and cant use or doesn't want to use an algae scrubber haha. I did take mine off line because my nutrients was to low and i was getting cyano after about 7 months of use. Although the cyano didnt show up untill i added a buncha new sand ita probably more relates to that. But i also notice its not comming back now that ive removed the ecobak. I would still say this is a GREAT product and anyone thinking.of using it as a way to remove nit/phos should go for it and will be happy with it.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add to this thread ... I official starte my ecobak on 4/19/13 with a Reef Oct reactor and started with 200ml (had been running 100ml in an Ehiem canister with no tumble so not really counting it). Hannah phos checker showed .12 on 4/19 and so far ever day including today. Still running HC GFO as well until I see numbers drop then i'll remove the gfo.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you watching your nitrates as well? I'm running between 500-750mL's on my tank and my nitrates are undetectable but the phosphates are around 0.12. I plan on running ChemiPure Elite to help bring the phosphates down just a little more...

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you watching your nitrates as well? I'm running between 500-750mL's on my tank and my nitrates are undetectable but the phosphates are around 0.12. I plan on running ChemiPure Elite to help bring the phosphates down just a little more...

Wow what are the chances - both of us are stuck at .12. I was changing GFO every couple days and could get it down to .06 but only for 1/2 day then up it would go.

My nitrates have been zero on the api test kit since mid january. I know the kit semi-works because my qt tank show 10-20 nitrates. So figured the algae and soft coral are consuming the nitrates (maybe). that is why i have not unplugged the gfo yet. I just added three fish so my nitrates should start going up - LOL. I also have added 'bacteria' every week or two (special blend).

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I don't add any bacteria.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my Panini Maker.

It is not necessary to add bacteria. but since she is adding more pellets to some existing pellets it wont hurt. The bacteria that colonizes on the pellets is naturally occurring in the system, but by adding some different bacteria strains you create a better diversity of good bacteria in the system which helps against cyano and other slime type algaes.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris - that is exactly why I add the bacteria , for the defense of 'cyano' and not for the ecobak. I have had cyano in the past and it took months to get rid of - argh!

So checked my phosphates after work and they read .07 , but also had more algae growth on the glass. Good thing I'm using that MAGNUM algae scrubber now - LOL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back