Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Bro, but I think that @Biggestfish is in the lead with all his corals branching , I don’t know how this contest is going to be judged !

I do have a couple of question’s for you because I am also running a CaRX !
What is your PH at ?
And are you doing anything to help raise it ?
My PH is at max 8 in the day and drops to 7.6 at night. The best readings that I have from manually testing because I don’t have any sophisticated technology (Lol) but it really hovers around 7.8 to 7.6 and I don’t like those numbers !
I run a outside air line directly to the skimmer pump and the effluent line to the head of the skimmer pump. I have a refugium running 16 hours. My next move is to probably dose Kalkwasser, Ugh, dosing was the reason why I switched over to the CaRX . Maybe you can shed some light on my situation :)
Long story on my CaRx but I overpressurized and broke it. I was also struggling to keep pH when running it, so for now it is on the shelf.

If you are getting 7.6 pH on tank water, @Randy Holmes-Farley would suggest that to be almost impossible; your probe needs to be calibrated or replaced. Likely more like 7.8 - 8.15. Plenty of room for improvement.

I was also running a CO2 scrubber, but my skimmer wasn't big enough to make much difference. Since setting up and dialing in a Kalk stirrer, managing pH is so easy, I am not certain what will make me go back to anything else. My 2-part dosing -- while still alot -- is half what is was originally. (1/2 liter per day versus 1/4 liter now).

If you have APEX AND ample space for a Kalk reservoir/stirrer, PM me and I can walk you though my set up. I am all about low maintenance reliability and this fits.

1643390332166.png

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to many people having the same issues with that salt. I believe it’s the salt also. Glad your corals are on the mend.
Thank You Bro
Not contest! Just adding mine to the pot of all the different ways this acro presents.
A3FDC640-B583-421C-B4B4-842846F20CF5.jpeg
nice work bro, by the way I love your R2R name, I have a few happy hours under these 46 years Lol, probably a lot more to go Lol hahahaha

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story on my CaRx but I overpressurized and broke it. I was also struggling to keep pH when running it, so for now it is on the shelf.

If you are getting 7.6 pH on tank water, @Randy Holmes-Farley would suggest that to be almost impossible; your probe needs to be calibrated or replaced. Likely more like 7.8 - 8.15. Plenty of room for improvement.

I was also running a CO2 scrubber, but my skimmer wasn't big enough to make much difference. Since setting up and dialing in a Kalk stirrer, managing pH is so easy, I am not certain what will make me go back to anything else. My 2-part dosing -- while still alot -- is half what is was originally. (1/2 liter per day versus 1/4 liter now).

If you have APEX AND ample space for a Kalk reservoir/stirrer, PM me and I can walk you though my set up. I am all about low maintenance reliability and this fits.

1643390332166.png
It’s a Hanna handheld checker, I’ll PM you tomorrow, I am tried as heck, been working on my boat all day everyday this week to get it back in the water so that I can get back to work . Thank You for your response and help Bro.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll see where this goes I guess. Luckily I have no issues whatsoever. I've been keeping a close eye on things. I saw a thread on here yesterday where someone addressed BRS about it.
They said they only have TM Pro from Germany in stock.
Yes sir, just stay vigilant, good luck and keep up the good work Bro.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January update. Net zero vertical growth since September of last year, however in that timeframe the three branches have merged into one giant thumb of rock, and the base has encrusted out magnificently. However, I'm concerned that the frag will only continue to thicken and not start growing new branches. I know for a fact that my Alk and Cal are horrendously low, and have been for the past few months, so my next goal is to step up on my dosing to catch up with all of the growth.
More importantly, I need to address the glaring Bryopsis plague going on right now. My nutrients are zeroed out because of it, and after I scrape it out, it grows back even worse in a couple of days. but it also brushes against the corals, making them retract and pout. SO wish me luck, I'm going to try Flux and hope that it works for me. IMG_3081 (2).JPG IMG_3082 (2).JPG

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people don't understand about this frag is it's NOT going to branch. It's a tabling Acro.
Its going to grow in a big flat disc type circle. Kinda like a big table. Flat with no real branches except sideways.
Look up tabling Acro's.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people don't understand about this frag is it's NOT going to branch. It's a tabling Acro.
Its going to grow in a big flat disc type circle. Kinda like a big table. Flat with no real branches except sideways.
Look up tabling Acro's.
That's what I expect to see, yeah. I'm mostly confused because there's been no growth besides some incredible thickening and some decent encrustation. I expect this thing to explode pretty soon, since it's so dense right now. My other acros are growing great, so I'm confident it'll get going too.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I expect to see, yeah. I'm mostly confused because there's been no growth besides some incredible thickening and some decent encrustation. I expect this thing to explode pretty soon, since it's so dense right now. My other acros are growing great, so I'm confident it'll get going too.
It's all about acclimation I guess. Like you, I have some Acro's (mostly Millie's) that have been in the tank for over a year and basically encrusting and nothing else. And others that just plain take off!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January update. Net zero vertical growth since September of last year, however in that timeframe the three branches have merged into one giant thumb of rock, and the base has encrusted out magnificently. However, I'm concerned that the frag will only continue to thicken and not start growing new branches. I know for a fact that my Alk and Cal are horrendously low, and have been for the past few months, so my next goal is to step up on my dosing to catch up with all of the growth.
More importantly, I need to address the glaring Bryopsis plague going on right now. My nutrients are zeroed out because of it, and after I scrape it out, it grows back even worse in a couple of days. but it also brushes against the corals, making them retract and pout. SO wish me luck, I'm going to try Flux and hope that it works for me. IMG_3081 (2).JPG IMG_3082 (2).JPG
Good luck with the Flux. With bryopsis, you don't really have any alternatives.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55E47B7B-B348-4E30-8BB8-29E297FAA8CE.png
I came across a thread the other day that someone posted, I had never heard of them so I snapped a picture. Maybe they’ll do the job , I don’t know, but it could be an option before you go the Reef Flux route.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea slugs have particular care requirements that make them unsuitable for most reef tanks. They are prone to gathering at drains and intakes. Because of this, powerheads with easy to access impellers pose a danger to them. Maxi Jet style powerheads, with an extended arm and fine strainer are better suited for them. Similarly, wide overflow slots and drains without somewhat fine mesh are likely to be traps for the sea slug. They do not mind high flow levels, but high velocity will often send them adrift, and it is stressful to them.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea slugs have particular care requirements that make them unsuitable for most reef tanks. They are prone to gathering at drains and intakes. Because of this, powerheads with easy to access impellers pose a danger to them. Maxi Jet style powerheads, with an extended arm and fine strainer are better suited for them. Similarly, wide overflow slots and drains without somewhat fine mesh are likely to be traps for the sea slug. They do not mind high flow levels, but high velocity will often send them adrift, and it is stressful to them.
I was about to say exactly this lol
I've tried them before, but my tank just isn't suited to them long-term. On top of high flow and lots of picky fish, I also keep an anemone that I have witnessed first-hand eating a giant slug. Funny story, I actually ordered the lettuce slug and 5 anthias from Blue Zoo a while ago, and one by one they were taken down by that giant anemone. 250 bucks down the drain in a week.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say exactly this lol
I've tried them before, but my tank just isn't suited to them long-term. On top of high flow and lots of picky fish, I also keep an anemone that I have witnessed first-hand eating a giant slug. Funny story, I actually ordered the lettuce slug and 5 anthias from Blue Zoo a while ago, and one by one they were taken down by that giant anemone. 250 bucks down the drain in a week.
There's too many "quick"fixes out there. I tried flucanazole once. Corals didn't like it at all. Never again. All these fixes may work but most of the time the problems come right back.
It's best to take it slow and find the problem causing it and be done with it.
Most of the time it's because the "bacterial system" gets out of whack.
Every time one throws something at the tank it totally messes that system up and it takes longer to get it right again.

I love Anthias, but I can not keep them alive long time. They will slowly stop eating, resting on the rock work like they're tired then slip into rocks and disappear. Some last for about a year or so. Others about six months. They'll be fine for quite a bit. Active and swimming. Then downhill.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's too many "quick"fixes out there. I tried flucanazole once. Corals didn't like it at all. Never again. All these fixes may work but most of the time the problems come right back.
It's best to take it slow and find the problem causing it and be done with it.
Most of the time it's because the "bacterial system" gets out of whack.
Every time one throws something at the tank it totally messes that system up and it takes longer to get it right again.

I love Anthias, but I can not keep them alive long time. They will slowly stop eating, resting on the rock work like they're tired then slip into rocks and disappear. Some last for about a year or so. Others about six months. They'll be fine for quite a bit. Active and swimming. Then downhill.
This is so true, and I try to maintain this perspective with my tank at all times. I'm going to try and exhaust all of my options before I go with the flux, but one after another they've failed or just not been enough.

On the anthias, that seems to be a common experience. I think they just need far more food than we are normally accustomed to feeding, and I'm sure many of them have specialized guts meant for digesting open-water plankton. Still, I hope to try again and give them a more natural diet/enough hiding spots to stay safe. As it stands, my tank barely has enough shelter for my 11 small fish, since I scaped it around the 'negative space' trend. I also don't have quite enough rock, and I've actually just started re-culturing some of my old dry rock from an ancient tank. There's a lot that I've got to do to get the tank to a more ideal spot.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true, and I try to maintain this perspective with my tank at all times. I'm going to try and exhaust all of my options before I go with the flux, but one after another they've failed or just not been enough.

On the anthias, that seems to be a common experience. I think they just need far more food than we are normally accustomed to feeding, and I'm sure many of them have specialized guts meant for digesting open-water plankton. Still, I hope to try again and give them a more natural diet/enough hiding spots to stay safe. As it stands, my tank barely has enough shelter for my 11 small fish, since I scaped it around the 'negative space' trend. I also don't have quite enough rock, and I've actually just started re-culturing some of my old dry rock from an ancient tank. There's a lot that I've got to do to get the tank to a more ideal spot.
The flux would be my absolute last option. It'll set your Acro back big time. People have used it and not had a problem, but a lot have had bad results with Acro's.
There's other ways to beat it.
I'm dealing with either a GHA or Bryopsis outbreak also. I don't have a microscope to identify which one. I'm leaning to Bryopsis because it's so hard to get off the rocks.
I've had it before and got rid of it. It's a war of attrition. Keep at it and it will go away.
I'm raising my magnesium and I'm raising my SG to about 28 slowly. I watched a documentary on the Red Sea. The salinity is so high that algae can't grow and thrive.
Both will take time for results. I'd rather let time do it's thing than go for the quick fix.

As far as the Anthias are concerned..... I'm thinking most of the time it's Uronema.
I see the same thing with Chromis. I've had the best luck with the blue reef Chromis. I currently have one left out of 4 of them which I've had for about 2 years. They've all gone the same way as the Anthias.
I stumbled across yellow lyre tail Damsels from the Biota group. I bought 4 of them. They kinda school like Chromis and Anthias. But they seem quite a bit more hardy. They aren't typical Damsels. Not territorial or aggressive. Really quite interesting fish and nice looking too. Plus the price is right. I've had them about 6 months now and I really like them.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flux would be my absolute last option. It'll set your Acro back big time. People have used it and not had a problem, but a lot have had bad results with Acro's.
There's other ways to beat it.
I'm dealing with either a GHA or Bryopsis outbreak also. I don't have a microscope to identify which one. I'm leaning to Bryopsis because it's so hard to get off the rocks.
I've had it before and got rid of it. It's a war of attrition. Keep at it and it will go away.
I'm raising my magnesium and I'm raising my SG to about 28 slowly. I watched a documentary on the Red Sea. The salinity is so high that algae can't grow and thrive.
Both will take time for results. I'd rather let time do it's thing than go for the quick fix.

As far as the Anthias are concerned..... I'm thinking most of the time it's Uronema.
I see the same thing with Chromis. I've had the best luck with the blue reef Chromis. I currently have one left out of 4 of them which I've had for about 2 years. They've all gone the same way as the Anthias.
I stumbled across yellow lyre tail Damsels from the Biota group. I bought 4 of them. They kinda school like Chromis and Anthias. But they seem quite a bit more hardy. They aren't typical Damsels. Not territorial or aggressive. Really quite interesting fish and nice looking too. Plus the price is right. I've had them about 6 months now and I really like them.
I've never heard of the Lyretail damsels before, they look very nice! Maybe I can find a spot for them in my next build. The Uronema assumption makes sense, I'm sure it has an effect on survivablilty. However, I remember hearing about intestinal parasites being a big issue with Anthias. I can't remember where I heard that, but if true then feeding medicated foods a couple times a year (I do it once per month, a bit more now that some Ich has popped up) could really help with that issue.

But it's all theories at this point. there are so many studies I'd love to do, but I don't have the money or education to try them out. Maybe someday.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back