oh boy, 40g breeder build

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gurgly tank, but if I turn down the return and remove 2 gallons of sw it goes silent. I like to keep it running about 10x, which is 1100gph. Pumps rated for 1900. But it doesnt get quiet until it's down around 400gph mark. Meh

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my jebao is still kicking at 65% which is ~ 690 gph. sump flow looks good to the eye. DT flow is lacking, will stay that way until i has job again.
I just ran back through and noticed I missed a tag u had asked me about my canopy. I see that it's too late now, but the build link for it is in my signature.

You hanging kit looks great. I'd leave it :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could u retrofit RFG's on ur return to help the flow in the display?

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, but I'm happy with the flow from the return pump now and I'm going to add in a wide flow jebao on the other side. I'm also open to adding in another jebao if needed.

Yeah NBD about the tag. I also tagged @dantimdad and he gave me the idea of swag hooks. So I used two 30 pound rated hooks and some simple wire n crimps that were like $6 on Amazon.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2x xanthid (reef tank nightmare crabs) (very sadly) removed and.. disposed of (wish I still lived near the gulf or had a place to put them) and 1x (most likely) red mithrax crab moved the the sump I thought I was done. But no! There is a small very red crab still in the DT, AND, in the DT he shall stay.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the sandbed looking? Things still fuzzy or starting to clear up for u yet?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about slow and steady ;Hilarious Glad your making some progress, tank looks fantastic! I have removed several of those Red mithrax crabs, one took up residence under my scoly and would come out at night and rip holes in it :( Thought I had caught them all but just spotted another one recently :mad:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about slow and steady ;Hilarious Glad your making some progress, tank looks fantastic! I have removed several of those Red mithrax crabs, one took up residence under my scoly and would come out at night and rip holes in it :( Thought I had caught them all but just spotted another one recently :mad:
From what I understand, red color.is usually a flag, and black tipped claws are another. Beware of both.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of them..

2A0BAB06-D757-4A79-B344-83AA92CBF811.jpeg

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a bit fuzzy on the sand bed. Did a 10g water change Thursday seeing how the algae responds.

Only running a skimmer part time as nutrient export right now. Going to take some time to get the fuge established.

Flow is part of the algae problem now as well, nothing can be done there until job again.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately a good LFS near me is closing due to COVID. Fortunately for me it put its prices at a level I could afford. Still no unemployment (FL is a joke with this right now, I applied on 4/23) so no additional PH and the store didn't have any used ones. It was fairly picked thru at this point in time.

I was able to pick up a trio of PJ Cardinals and a red and green favia for $54. Pics below!

I was just out of town for Memorial day and a friend was taking care of the tank. Tank was def overfed and hair algae has exploded. But Cyano is mostly gone and I think I will get most of the HA gone with the next WC.

Here are the new fishy friends
hPxPL52.jpg

The favia
Fuz8P3s.jpg

Snail eggs! I don't clean the back glass pretty much ever
H1WRYCJ.jpg

Can't have an update without the clowns!
4XsSMEf.jpg

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new food I mixed up the fish n other critters are really enjoying it.

I wanted a small batch and I would prefer to use all of it within a month or two. It consists of 2x farm raised scallops and 2x wild caught whole shrimp. These are from the seafood section of publix. It was $6 for the seafood. I also put in a whole piece of sushi grade seaweed sheet, some reef roids, and RO/DI water.

So for about $7 I have a good frozen food for the tank. I blended it into a mush, tossed it in a large freezer bag pressed it quite thin and froze it up. I then break off about a quarter sized piece and let it thaw in tank water. I crush it up with my fingers to create a slurry of sorts, and spread that across the top of the tank.

ezpz

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a good cheap food to work into the rotation. I started up a blackworm culture yesterday for $4 new cost (good to hang onto all fish supplies!) and plan to start bloodworm, whiteworm, dhapnia, brine shrimp, and phyto once we get established in ATL area.

Going to feed the SW fellow the FW worm food and see how they like it!

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new food I mixed up the fish n other critters are really enjoying it.

I wanted a small batch and I would prefer to use all of it within a month or two. It consists of 2x farm raised scallops and 2x wild caught whole shrimp. These are from the seafood section of publix. It was $6 for the seafood. I also put in a whole piece of sushi grade seaweed sheet, some reef roids, and RO/DI water.

So for about $7 I have a good frozen food for the tank. I blended it into a mush, tossed it in a large freezer bag pressed it quite thin and froze it up. I then break off about a quarter sized piece and let it thaw in tank water. I crush it up with my fingers to create a slurry of sorts, and spread that across the top of the tank.

ezpz

This is pretty much exactly what I did for food on my previous tank and it worked well. Added pre bought stuff to the mix eventually.

I had the orange bucket ato too ha, totally works.

Good luck with the unemployment nonsense too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back