count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!!
bmCK16M.jpg

The jebao is whisper quiet. I have it on 85%.

What sort bracket do I need to mount this DJA power strip? It's set up to mount in a rack.
5I1tIYL.jpg

Once power strip is mounted it's getting SW!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 2" square bracket and drilled holes into it to match the rack mount holes. Had some pieces in my tacklebox like container of various metal/DIY fittings screws etc. Has saved me many times!

1DPk8Sg.jpg

Rqhggw1.jpg

I have mounted it to the stand and it holds it very securely. The flip switches are sooo much better than plugging and unplugging!

The jebao is whisper quiet and a beast!
pPLhLZL.jpg

The fan end provides extremely nice flow and surface agitation.

My @liverock TBS saltwater rock arrived today. There was a crab greeting me as i opened the package. They pack it very well. 23 total pounds of rock, including a very nice shelf piece and one very large piece with a central hole throughout. Pics of that coming.

Unfortunately, I cracked a piece of glass in my sump when I was in the attic a few weeks back and found a random piece of PVC pipe. I tossed it down to throw away and it ping ponged and SOMEHOW landed in my sump.

Picking up a thin sheet of glass from HD tomorrow morning, cutting it to size and siliconing it in. The other glass piece does not leak.

Only the bulkheads needed to be tightened and then she was leak free.

The breeder is about 5/6 with the TBS rock in it, the jebao is in the DT on 35% (still whisper quiet on its side NOT rubber feet) and their is a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer skimming out some nasty stuff.

Sunday should see the system running with rock, sand and saltwater :)

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich!

Hood is up! I marked out 12" from the mounting point not 12" of distance from the lights to the water, but that is a change I will make down the road.

The TBS rocks are purple purple purple under the LEDs!

Many pictures coming as the system is filling up to operating volume as well speak. I am glad I can pump out 5g of NSW every 30 minutes!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow n steady right?

Yeah it took MUCH longer than I originally thought it would. Keeping it on a very tight budget. But I think it came out great. I love having the bean animal overflow. It is super quiet and it will always start right back up.

The TBS rock had a lot more dieoff than I expected, unsure if any of the shrimp or crab on it survived. Ammonia was around 3 or 4 two days ago, I am expecting the rock to stabilize fast, going to test again today.

Once it's at 0 ammonia I am bringing over all the soft coral from the 10g and one of the rocks. Will see how those do then bring over the YWG. After that will be the LPS, clowns, and anemone.

I still need a refuge light and powerheads. Those are next on my to buy list. The jebao return is amazing so I will get some jebao powerheads as well.

Pics coming this weekend I am thinking.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will add a greenspotted mushroom and a neon green nepthea (a personal fave soft coral) to the breeder tomorrow to see how they do. I have been testing ammonia every day and we should be good then. I am seeing snails and limpets buzz about so I am thinking the bacteria has settled down and kicked into high gear.

Current FTS. There are two nice pieces of rock in the 10g, I think I may still add some more after that. We shall see.
BcFMbAl.jpg

The 175 mogul MH can't get moved over until the tank is ready for all occupants on the 10g. I think that will be this coming weekend. I really like the color of this old black box LED. I have the lights about 6" off the water where I wanted 12", but oh well we will see how it goes.

I am also using a reef octopus HOB skimmer (works very well) until I buy a new sicce needlewheel for my bubble magnus style space-saving in-sump skimmer (branded ES5).

In April I will be ordering a couple of Jebao powerheads for the display. Currently, it just has the return which seems to provide a good bit of flow and PLENTY of surface agitation.
dyFVgQ8.jpg

A simple DIY screen top will be added (hopefully) in April as well.

Here you can see the bean animal drain and simple return with a tee for future expansion. I am very glad I ran the PVC into bulkheads in the sump, it really cleans up the look. I need to get some wire straps to attach those wires to the top of the stand. I LOVE the flip on/off of the American DJ powerbar.
WVbm05a.jpg

Here is a better look at the sump in general. You can see my little Toms aqualifter which is my ATO pump. I am using the Innovative Marine ATO and it is working very well. I currently use an extremely stylish bright orange 5g home depot bucket as ATO container. Will be figuring out something that actually looks good/is hidden for that.
4mTj9bl.jpg

A simple cheaper e27 socket LED will be used to light the fuge. The fuge will get a dry rock structure (eventually). The skimmer will sit in the first chamber.

Here you can see the full setup, a door is in the works it will not be staying open-faced. The stand and hood are dark blue. I will get a daytime picture at some point so you can, ya know, actually see it.
udOmP1f.jpg

I am beyond pumped to have a legitimate reef system running again! Thanks for the help so far everyone on R2R.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty ugly right now but that is just part of a new tank settling in. Will definitely need more sand bed action. I stir it around each water change, but I would prefer to have an animal do that for me. I have some nassisrus snails, any suggestions on other animals? If you have experiences with sand sifting gobies please tell me!

Unfortunately (even though I was promoted 9 months ago) I was laid off from my job on 3/30 due to COVID-19. That means no money for the tank. So it is pretty empty. If anyone lives in the Orlando area and has some frags they can give me I would greatly appreciate it. I will pay it forward once they grow big enough to frag.

FTS, The left side of the tank is black box LED and the right side is a 14k mogul bulb 175w metal halide. No powerheads yet due to no job :(
SiQmHTn.jpg

Also a white crab ate my ZOAS!!!!!!!!! :mad: The utter chaos looked so good :( So I rigged up a crab trap, and caught this red fellow. If anyone can ID please do. I don't think this is a nasty one though, but he is currently in the sump to be safe. The crab trap was simply a stemless wine glass with some frozen food in the bottom. Put it in 30 minutes to lights out near their haunt and they will climb in (so it needs to be tilted to a rock) but won't be able to climb out. The white crab will be caught tonight.
xDYike5.jpg

The clowns LOVE their frogspawn. Here is two pics of them. The frogspawn certainly would prefer to not have the clowns in it.
vSOnJ81.jpg

Ij6XoFF.jpg

Here is my super simple sump setup as it stands. The jebao is a champ so far. If you press the power button twice it will go into feed mode which turns it off for 10 minutes then kicks it back on. It is SILENT. Best return pump I've owned and absolutely dumps on an old mag drive 9 I have. The tanks runs from 78-80 degrees.
GppXGbm.jpg

Will someday replace that PC light with a LED reef bulb like this.
1587861033498.png

Here is a neon green (though you can't really tell in the pic) nepthea coral to close things out.
0atpImD.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear the troubles. I just finally got first payment since 3/22 from unemployment. I feel ur pain... hopefully the relief with come soon for you financially and things can return to as normal as possible. FWIW the scape looks good, I like the islands. And the clowns seem content. Cruddy luck with the crab and the zoas too. Meh... chin up. This too shall pass.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich. It's going to be a huge bummer when your tank comes down. I wish we lived closer I would hold some of your corals for you! ;)

It's going to be a PITA to move this tank to ATL.
I've made peace with it.

Headed to Big south? Too humid for my blood personally. :) you're in florida though, normal :)

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed two xanthid crabs already. The pic above looks like a scarlet mithrax crab so I just tossed him into the fuge. I am going just hermit/specialty crabs in the DT. NO EXCEPTIONS!! :p

The stemless wine glass with some frozen food in the bottom is 3/3 so far. I rigged it up again just now to see if there are anymore lurking :eek:.

I am also in the final round for a client success manager job in Duluth! Hopefully I get that and the ATL move can be figured out, and I can purchase some freaking powerheads! Will stick with the Jebao line and go with the SLW series. They are their newest design (I think) and look pretty slick

1588106088462.png

Here is a solid review of the SLW as well

Back