OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally did a thing or two and was disappointed with the pitiful state of the 10g holding tank I took off the PC light and put on the 175w MH. Colors of the corals looked better almost right away. I also ordered a korelia nano to get some more movement in it.

Next I am going to hook up red sea dosing to it. And try again with the ATO. You have to mount the sensors upside down to keep the water level high and i am not sure if it likes that too much or not.

Along the way I finished a bench in the garage, and am cleaning it up now so I can get back to work on the breeder. I will do take 3 this time with acrylic on the sump and drilling those for bulkheads. If this fails I will have to break down and pay a shop to do it for me with glass.

Hopefully the acrylic works out then I will be able to finally plumb the tank. Next comes getting a new pump for the skimmer. Cleaning up one of the LED's (decided afterall to do MH on one side and the LED on the other).

Once that is done I just have to finish the stand and will enlist the help of a table saw to do so. THEN, tank can finally get wet.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i was finally able to get a table saw. It is a delta cast iron one from the mid 90's. It is HEAVY. Haven't used it yet, I am going to give it a good clean and greasing first. It is large enough to handle full sheets of plywood which is what I was looking for.

Here is the froggie after its been under the MH. Flow is lower than I want but oh well. It is now a full 3 heads vs 2 when I got it.

First pic:
J9WdkrN.jpg

Last night:
D7huwsW.jpg

the rock is starting to purple up (ty water changes) but also aiptasia are popping off! I have some joe's juice, going to use that this weekend. It is looking like I will get some butter burger (lol) nudies from TSA (about 10 mins away and $20 a pop there) once the 40br gets wet. I think two will do the job and it will maintain a balance so they don't starve.

My yellow watchmen is still quite smol but his spots are nice and bright. I will get a new picture of him soon.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set a real wet goal finally. I got a free fish with $30 purchase coupon from TSA in the mail (support local right? ;) )

Up to $30 of fish value. So I plan on spending around $100 so we will see what that nets me. It expires at the end of December.

I finally have a table saw and have been getting used to using it. I have cut down one side panel to size and did a practice 45 cut on it. The board had a tiny little bend in it and that messed up the 45 cut. I think I have flattened it out and will test that cut out again soon.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!! Loving the metal halide fixture! I have a 150w MH that I love, which bulb are you using? Mine is a 14k Phoenix with a blue tint that my corals absolutely love, and was a tremendous visual upgrade (in my opinion) over the old full white one.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feather boards

I have watched a handful of table saw vids but that had yet to show up. I have a couple more queued now, thanks!

Great thread!! Loving the metal halide fixture! I have a 150w MH that I love, which bulb are you using? Mine is a 14k Phoenix with a blue tint that my corals absolutely love, and was a tremendous visual upgrade (in my opinion) over the old full white one.

This one is a 175w MH mogul 14k (the best temp for a MH!). The socket and reflector are from around 2008-2009. The original ballast died in 2013 or so. I got a better replacement as well as a new larger reflector. This reflector is still unused in the plastic wrap and the plan is to build a v2.0 black box (i drew it out roughly already) pairing up the MH with one of my black box LED's.

This is the light that is going to light the breeder. Will be cutting wood for that very soon. Will just be 1/4" or 1/3" plywood with a double layer on the back for support so it can be mounted to the wall via a projector mount! There is a member here who did it that way, thought I had the thread saved but i guess not!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All.caught up. Great start, regardless of delays because of real life. Happens to everyone.

Love the initiative to take stuff apart, and try making things yourself. Much like myself. :)

Hope the LED's are still decent on the black boxes, because that MH will do all the growing you will need.

I used a 33g long (a 55g long with the top cut off) I cut .3"ish acrylic and used the red label ge silicon. 36+ hour cure, done deal. Hasnt budged since.

You have scored some nice used equipment, like myself as well. Looking forward to how u overcome the sump battle, hopefully u get ur skills on the table saw hashed out and ull have urself a custom baffled sump in no time.

I'll be here ;)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched a handful of table saw vids but that had yet to show up. I have a couple more queued now, thanks!

This one is a 175w MH mogul. The socket and reflector are from around 2008-2009. The original ballast died in 2013 or so. I got a better replacement as well as a new larger reflector. This reflector is still unused in the plastic wrap and the plan is to build a v2.0 black box (i drew it out roughly already) pairing up the MH with one of my black box LED's.

This is the light that is going to light the breeder. Will be cutting wood for that very soon. Will just be 1/4" or 1/3" plywood with a double layer on the back for support so it can be mounted to the wall via a projector mount! There is a member here who did it that way, thought I had the thread saved but i guess not!

I have no idea how old mine is, I honestly did not consider that I might need a new ballast until just now. Is that something I can still buy? (I purchased a 28g JBJ HQI secondhand)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one is a 175w MH mogul 14k (the best temp for a MH!). The socket and reflector are from around 2008-2009. The original ballast died in 2013 or so. I got a better replacement as well as a new larger reflector. This reflector is still unused in the plastic wrap and the plan is to build a v2.0 black box (i drew it out roughly already) pairing up the MH with one of my black box LED's.

welcome!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how old mine is, I honestly did not consider that I might need a new ballast until just now. Is that something I can still buy? (I purchased a 28g JBJ HQI secondhand)

solved my own problem, can’t believe jbj is still making these. For the record, I paid $125 for the entire setup the first time around, including the stand. They want that much for just the ballast. I saw other, cheaper options online, would they work just as well? (It shouldn’t be an issue for me to wire the off brands)
7474EAC8-D8B8-4E33-A088-1A0D5F27AE4A.png

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I was too, but just from some quick research it seems there is debate about electronic vs magnetic ballast in regards to what the overall color the light will look like even with the same bulb (Meaning the spectrum would be different I assume). Any opinions on that?

otherwise this looks like a great option for me.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 14k bulb looks like that great 14k color and it is using an electronic ballast and has been for a while. The ballast is still going strong. The bulb itself is even from around 2013 but only has maybe one year of use on it.

I do plan on replacing it in January or so. That ballast you have linked there looks like it will do great. I have a similar one but for 175w MH bulbs and it's been very reliable.

I just love the ramp up of MH lights :D

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because the star of my tank is a Goniopora stokesi. It’s incredibly sensitive to even the smallest parameter change, and I try to baby it as much as possible!

I agree, that pop of electricity and huuuUUMMMM noise is so cool, you can just feel the energy the tank is getting. It really is like the sun turning on over the tank :)

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually made progress!

Procured:

PVC
Wood to finish stand
Paint
Return bulkhead
Return locline
Trim for stand (only trimming the top and sides meet the top)

Still need:
Zero view hinges (face plate)
Correct size glass hole saw
Acrylic piece for sump
Gate valve

I have mitered the stand corners successfully! Huge accomplishment for me. I have installed the bean animal in the overflow. I have drawn out the hood and plumbing.

Hoping to get it 95% done this weekend. Will order the hole saw and gate valve tonight or tomorrow. It will be wet soon and I can't wait! I'll post some pictures when I have made some more progress.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually made progress!

Procured:

PVC
Wood to finish stand
Paint
Return bulkhead
Return locline
Trim for stand (only trimming the top and sides meet the top)

Still need:
Zero view hinges (face plate)
Correct size glass hole saw
Acrylic piece for sump
Gate valve

I have mitered the stand corners successfully! Huge accomplishment for me. I have installed the bean animal in the overflow. I have drawn out the hood and plumbing.

Hoping to get it 95% done this weekend. Will order the hole saw and gate valve tonight or tomorrow. It will be wet soon and I can't wait! I'll post some pictures when I have made some more progress.
Sounds good. Looking forward to the pics!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back