OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh things are heating up. All I have left to get wet is a piece of acrylic for the sump.

Other than that things have been procured and work has started on the hood. I am going to go with a projector mount hood as I saw on another build. I built out the top and the sides of the hood but i didn't cut the sides "deep" enough o_O. So I will have to recut and sand those pieces. I did cut and laminate two pieces of plywood together for the top piece. This piece has all lights mounting to it so I just wanted to be safe.

I did also use the coupon i received in the mail from TSA and I managed to get two snowflake clownfish for $58 :D. These fish I added straight to the 10g holding tank and they are doing very well. I have been feeding reef chili and pellets every day. Most days also receive some DIY frozen food.

This month should see the birth of the 40g tank. We shall see! I will get some pics of the clowns soon. They are pretty white and I let my wife pick them out, and I do say I would have never picked such white clownfish but having them in the tank they are so easy to see from across the room.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great starter size tank.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh things are heating up. All I have left to get wet is a piece of acrylic for the sump.

Other than that things have been procured and work has started on the hood. I am going to go with a projector mount hood as I saw on another build. I built out the top and the sides of the hood but i didn't cut the sides "deep" enough o_O. So I will have to recut and sand those pieces. I did cut and laminate two pieces of plywood together for the top piece. This piece has all lights mounting to it so I just wanted to be safe.

I did also use the coupon i received in the mail from TSA and I managed to get two snowflake clownfish for $58 :D. These fish I added straight to the 10g holding tank and they are doing very well. I have been feeding reef chili and pellets every day. Most days also receive some DIY frozen food.

This month should see the birth of the 40g tank. We shall see! I will get some pics of the clowns soon. They are pretty white and I let my wife pick them out, and I do say I would have never picked such white clownfish but having them in the tank they are so easy to see from across the room.
Score! Pics or it didnt happen ;)

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191229_120002.jpg

Here is a pic of them acclimating. Will get a better one later

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake Male and a Davinci female I paired up when I first started. Love the markings on them. Hopefully they have beautiful davinciflake hybrid babies :)

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been busy. I will have a big update coming soon. Tank is close to getting wet.

I built a hood out of plywood to sit over the tank, about 14" above the waterline.

I'm thinking what would be the best way to mount this? What my current plan is to use a French cleat. Use 2x2s connected to a 2x4 which will be the French cleat. I'm thinking making the French cleat extra long so I can move the hood out of the way as needed.

Thoughts?

I am finishing painting the stand then plumbing. Once plumbing is done I will do a big update!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw Rich's thread and didn't realize what had happened. Good luck in the future Rich!

Does anyone have experience with French cleats? @dantimdad I am curious if French cleats will still work fine for this since the lights will be held away from the wall by the cleat. I guess I am most worried about deflection. Do you have any recs for mounting the hood? Or does my French cleat plan seem fine?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use french cleats for all sorts of stuff. Never attempted what you are wanting to do. But, I don't see an issue.

Have you thought about a single swag hook in the ceiling like mine is done?

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to Google swab hook, the ceiling is slanted so I was thinking mounting to that was out of the picture, but I guess I haven't really thought about it enough

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I found it no problem. I will be using that plus thin metal wires to hang it. Thank you!

Next update will show
  • RO/DI
  • Finished hood
  • Painted stand
  • Plumbed tank
  • Electrics
  • Running tank (hopefully!)
  • Clowns
I have ordered 23 pounds of rock from TBS so I'm very excited to get that in. The clowns are voracious eaters!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as big of an update as I had hoped, but still pretty large!

I have mostly finished the hood. Last step is attaching the LED fixture, but i have to tune in my settings via the two knobs on the top before I can do that. The MH reflector was a PITA!! Eventually I figured out how to get this film off with thanks to youtube

Vsw5OqZ.jpg

Here its covered in PB blaster (or something) but steam is what gets the job done.

The hood

Hqkz65l.jpg

J4RxJMH.jpg

f10nZzD.jpg

I have my RO/DI with booster pump mounted to the wall. RO membranes set up in series. It is actually pumping out around 200 GPD per day so happy with that. Needs a refresh but still puts on ~20 TDS water. Corals and fish don't mind!

hxaykxW.jpg

0K6KkmM.jpg

The stand is done with painting! Still have the final work to do to bring things online, but that is the exciting part! The door is painted just not attached yet.

h8VGXp6.jpg

First time I have ever mitered corners. That was quite the challenge for me.

OQjUeTt.jpg

Does it make sense to move the overflow box plumbing from 1" to 3/4" so the elbows fit?

5DCrdHP.jpg

Or will that work fine? I will do testing on my own but wanted to hear opinions here as well.

No pic of the clowns or 10g tank, sorry! The two clowns are hosting my 4 head frogspawn quite enthusiastically, which the frogspawn does not like at all. So this weekend we will be picked up a BTA from one of our LFS. Once that is in I will update with pictures.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my snowflake clowns do this all the time!!

X1qo7gK.jpg

my frogspawn is NOT happy with it! It doesn't expand nearly as much as it used it. I got a really nice, albeit really small, rainbow/ultimate BTA from @TopShelfAquatics which i will get a pic of once it is fully inflated. So far it ranges around depending on how its feeling. I have been feeding it smol smol pieces of frozen every couple of days. It's super pretty and will make a beautiful BTA once its bigger and the splits will sell quite nicely :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back