Oh my GONI! Let’s see those Goniopora and Alveoporas!

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures? I would recommend leaving and monitoring for now, as long as you don't see die off you should be fine. If anything try spot feeding aminos that seemed to be the ultimate revive'r for us.

We're pretty sensitive about not putting our corals to close together after losing our aussie gold and joker torch... we're pretty sure they went to war with one another lost both. Regardless we've sort of lifted the ban on the distance rule when it comes to the same types of corals our goni's and alveo seem to live pretty well with one another but as everyone will tell you every coral is different, every tank is different. With that leave "a little" space to breath of your corals.

Thanks for the reply!!

The first picture is shortly after moving them, the second is now. Like I had mentioned they were only in contact for at most an hour.

I had fed them prior to touching, a mixture of Goniopower, fuel and phytochrome. I dose Nyos Absolute Aminos and Coral Nectar daily.

20200517_152125.jpg 20200517_204334.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!!

The first picture is shortly after moving them, the second is now. Like I had mentioned they were only in contact for at most an hour.

I had fed them prior to touching, a mixture of Goniopower, fuel and phytochrome. I dose Nyos Absolute Aminos and Coral Nectar daily.

20200517_152125.jpg 20200517_204334.jpg
Definitely for now I would leave them be... best thing to do is just be patient with them. I hope for the best! Keep me posted interested in knowing the outcome.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That an orange guy an Alveopora? That thing is gorgeous!
That an orange guy an Alveopora? That thing is gorgeous!
Top shelf aquatics Laffy Taffy Goni. It’s pricey (70-80) and it was small when I got it but it’s growing faster than the other guys. I wish I could get a better picture it’s almost embarrassing how bad it comes out. Amazballs and glitter Goni’s are on the wish list

BE3E2947-0F74-4F7F-A1F0-42802529FB77.png

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I still had this guy but alas his flame burned too bright and he wasn’t long for this world. Never saw a nicer red since

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely for now I would leave them be... best thing to do is just be patient with them. I hope for the best! Keep me posted interested in knowing the outcome.
I'm hoping for the best aswell, not very happy with myself to say the least, thanks for the input!!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping for the best aswell, not very happy with myself to say the least, thanks for the input!!
Keep me posted I definitely want to know how things go. My reef heart goes out to you and your goni's!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the goni experts. Which species can be close together and which ones can't mix?

Can someone ID this one

1589825576762.png

Thinking about adding it to an order I've already placed. Concerned about it being close to this one :

1589825653273.png

Initially I was a little hesitant to spend so much on a spec, but looking at what my colony above was 2 years ago I am fairly confident I could grow that out in a couple of years, just my tank is pretty jam packed...

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the goni experts. Which species can be close together and which ones can't mix?

Can someone ID this one

1589825576762.png

Thinking about adding it to an order I've already placed. Concerned about it being close to this one :

1589825653273.png

Initially I was a little hesitant to spend so much on a spec, but looking at what my colony above was 2 years ago I am fairly confident I could grow that out in a couple of years, just my tank is pretty jam packed...
Amazing color! I have not seen that before on any site or at a LFS, the polyps look like alveopora (gonis have more polyps than alveo). With such a large colony and rare piece I wouldn't risk putting them close together for fear of losing either. It can be hit or miss though, just depends on how risky you want to be with the corals.

I'm making a big assumption but was it found one WWC or TSA?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems like the white Goni is mostly back to itself today...thankfully!! Not a great pic, but he does look nearly back to normal

20200518_132712.jpg
I'm glad to see it! Hard to say what closes goni's up, ours for time was flow, then light, snails, shrimp I mean you name it. I know I've read they can be aggressive to other corals, but not typically within the species. I suppose in this time of social distancing its a sign we should practice that for our corals as well :p

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing color! I have not seen that before on any site or at a LFS, the polyps look like alveopora (gonis have more polyps than alveo). With such a large colony and rare piece I wouldn't risk putting them close together for fear of losing either. It can be hit or miss though, just depends on how risky you want to be with the corals.

I'm making a big assumption but was it found one WWC or TSA?

I can ask the store for an ID if I can't figure it out, but no neither of those places. I am not in the US. Store is Candy Corals.

EliVChalk97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink flamingo Goni and a mango tango Goni. Colors in pictures don’t do justice! But they are my favorite corals and I can’t wait to get more variety!

8FFBF0F4-20C1-4A05-9688-951C9DD2B422.jpeg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can ask the store for an ID if I can't figure it out, but no neither of those places. I am not in the US. Store is Candy Corals.
I'm relatively certain it's alveopora (see tidal gardens pic) I'd love for someone to second that opinion. In your case I would leave some space for both and not risk coral warfare. All of my goni's and alveo have slowly but surely been placed together though it's been a few months process.

Picture from Tidal Gardens:
1589830320616.png

My tank:
IMG-1574.jpg IMG-1573.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively certain it's alveopora (see tidal gardens pic) I'd love for someone to second that opinion. In your case I would leave some space for both and not risk coral warfare. All of my goni's and alveo have slowly but surely been placed together though it's been a few months process.

Picture from Tidal Gardens:
1589830320616.png

My tank:
IMG-1574.jpg IMG-1573.jpg

He says it's short polyp goniopoara and no issues touching others. We'll see when I get it. I couldn't resist and added it to my order :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back