Oh my GONI! Let’s see those Goniopora and Alveoporas!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are ramping down so these aren't fully extended. No fancy names here :rolleyes:

goni.jpg alveopora.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are ramping down so these aren't fully extended. No fancy names here :rolleyes:

goni.jpg alveopora.jpg
Once they extend they are just as beautiful as our torches. I just like the sway :) Thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone pick up a rainbow from The TCK live sale?

40EE57C7-22EA-4F02-9D20-E084D1591D72.png

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_2484.JPG

I never never been this impressed with a teeny tiny spec of a coral before. In my overly white T5 lighting it looks genuinely yellow. Will be very interesting to see how it looks in my display eventually. Hopefully I can at least get it encrusting on this plug first since its much easier to target feed in here.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw Is that a new one or the rainbow you posted before? I just order one from a live sale should come Friday I'll post once I get some QT and good extensions :)

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture (through those orange tinted glasses) of my gonis/alves from last night.

1592957142574.png

I started collecting them last November and assembled the first garden of seven pieces around February. Those pieces grew in real fast and I had to relocate a couple of them. Over the past four months, I've added more pieces and created two more gardens. I'm up to 19 Goniopora corals and 5 Alveopora corals. And I'm not done!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture (through those orange tinted glasses) of my gonis/alves from last night.

1592957142574.png

I started collecting them last November and assembled the first garden of seven pieces around February. Those pieces grew in real fast and I had to relocate a couple of them. Over the past four months, I've added more pieces and created two more gardens. I'm up to 19 Goniopora corals and 5 Alveopora corals. And I'm not done!

I love the yellow! I have seen them for sale but a little too much for me. If I saw one in person though I'd shell out.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the yellow! I have seen them for sale but a little too much for me. If I saw one in person though I'd shell out.
Thanks.
Both of the "yellow" gonis didn't set me back that much. The long tentacled one in the foreground is a common Highlighter Goni and the one behind it was picked up at a local swap. It was more of a pale green color when I bought it, but it has really colored up nicely in my system.

Here's a nice photo of that second one in the daylight; it's one of my favorites!

1592963195052.png

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Both of the "yellow" gonis didn't set me back that much. The long tentacled one in the foreground is a common Highlighter Goni and the one behind it was picked up at a local swap. It was more of a pale green color when I bought it, but it has really colored up nicely in my system.

Here's a nice photo of that second one in the daylight; it's one of my favorites!

1592963195052.png

Thank you for posting this picture. While still a beautiful coral I would love to have, I would be very disappointed to buy one that looks as yellow as your first picture and then get this - I rarely run all blue on my tank, it's basically daylight 95% of the time. It was $250 + shipping btw.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1592957142574.png

Wow that is quite the collection! The green in the front has amazing tentacles. Do you find that it grows better on the ledge?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these a couple months ago for PEA and my Sunkist bounce is living happily underneath.

5A3972AC-1F89-4EDB-8BC0-604423477E94.jpeg
You’re not worried about it stinging the Sunkist? Beautiful piece!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Goni clan

D8ABA737-6024-4092-AF3F-0503F11E9DB3.jpeg
How long have you had the hammer there? I’m curious because I have a frogspawn that is surrounded by them and they are getting closer and closer to each other. I’m worried about stinging.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is quite the collection! The green in the front has amazing tentacles. Do you find that it grows better on the ledge?
Thanks.
The lavender one to the left (that is retracted) is comparable to the one in front for tentacle length. They get plenty of random flow (a lot of it) in that area so they tend to stretch out more.
Placing a couple of them on the vertical face of the rock was an experiment. All of my research stated that goniopora corals are found on the sand in murkier water with low flow, but I wanted to see how they would react to being mounted on the side; they're doing very well!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the hammer there? I’m curious because I have a frogspawn that is surrounded by them and they are getting closer and closer to each other. I’m worried about stinging.
The teal hammer is below but close to the dark green goni. If you look close the teal hammer has stung the dark green goni at the base. Been next to each other for a few month now. Life on the reef battling for real estate. Hammer won

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
The lavender one to the left (that is retracted) is comparable to the one in front for tentacle length. They get plenty of random flow (a lot of it) in that area so they tend to stretch out more.
Placing a couple of them on the vertical face of the rock was an experiment. All of my research stated that goniopora corals are found on the sand in murkier water with low flow, but I wanted to see how they would react to being mounted on the side; they're doing very well!
This guy also has a goni placed horizontal with similar success

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back