acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7221.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Currently have a 240 gallon cube that has been barebottom from day 1. Been running for 1.5 years. Tank is acrylic so I did not want to chance scratching caused by sand. Tank is sps and lps. Flow is ecotech vectra and 2 x 150 maxspect gyre and 1 x ecotech mp40 so flow is very strong. If I were to add sand bed what would be recommendation for type grain and depth. Thanks. Dean

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people will tell you that depth is personal preference for style you're looking for. I personally only added enough sand to be visually appealing to me. Functionality wasn't important and I did not opt for a DSB. I only used about 40lbs of sand in my 5 ft 120. I set the rocks on the glass and filled it where I could reach. Admittedly, only small portions of sand made it behind the liverock but you can't see those areas of my tank.

I used special grade dry sand when I set my tank up. I advise not using a livesand version to prevent the dead matter from having a shot at causing a mini cycle.

In my tank, my return is nominal for flow. I run a sicce 3.0 and it's only about 4-5x turn over for my tank. All my flow comes from two pp-15s at opposite ends of the tank. I'm running them on constant flow at level 2. Even at this level, the center of my tank has a bare spot. Reef mode and pulsing causes sand storms.

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't want to deal with the fogging and the potential of scratching the tank but it could be worth a shot.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CarribSea arag alive reef sand. You normally only find it in 10 or 20 pound bags. Pet Mountain has them available in a case of 4 ten pound bags on sale.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea seaflor special grade works well. I have mainly oolite which blows around too much but the special grade is heavier and works well. If you have any sand burying wrasses, seaflor may be too coarse. I wish I went with all seaflor in my tank but I have leopards.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back