Ok, so How Do You Pronounce "Quoyi"?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names are different. C. boylei is pronounced Boyle-eye. X greenei is pronounced Greene-eye.
So the words are just given Latin endings and pronounced in a more modern way? Or is it just a coincidence that the word match up perfectly with Latin grammar? I’m genuinely curious about this, not trying to be rude or anything.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the "quoyi" is a Latinized the name "Quoy" from the French Zoologist Jean René Constant Quoy.
Names are different. C. boylei is pronounced Boyle-eye. X greenei is pronounced Greene-eye.
So given those two things, I'd say "Quoyi" should be pronounced "kwah-eye". Which is probably how approximately zero percent of people pronounce it. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
jUST LIKE A BUOY - a floating device in a body of water, This marine aquarium fish is known as Quoy’s Parrotfish and the correct latin name is Scarus quoyi. . . . whereas the i is silent and therefore pronounced qu-oy

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it pronounced like this? “I” never makes that sound in Classical Latin, so why does it in this case? Is there something special about this word that I am missing?
Latin linguistics expert I am not, but pronouncing that "i" seems to be current common convention.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jUST LIKE A BUOY - a floating device in a body of water, This marine aquarium fish is known as Quoy’s Parrotfish and the correct latin name is Scarus quoyi. . . . whereas the i is silent and therefore pronounced qu-oy
Every ichthyologist I know pronounces it quoy (rhymes with boy) - eye.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the words are just given Latin endings and pronounced in a more modern way? Or is it just a coincidence that the word match up perfectly with Latin grammar? I’m genuinely curious about this, not trying to be rude or anything.
Latin is a dead language and has no native speakers, so to the best of my understanding there are conventions, but those conventions are different for diffrent groups and all of them are just fine.

Hobbyists tend to say acro-pro-ah, while academics tend to say a-crop-or-ah. I have seen both groups disparage the other for prounciation which seems silly to me.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyists tend to say acro-pro-ah, while academics tend to say a-crop-or-ah. I have seen both groups disparage the other for prounciation which seems silly to me.
I still giggle a bit on the inside when I hear a-crop-or-ah and mon-tip-or-ah. :)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latin is a dead language and has no native speakers, so to the best of my understanding there are conventions, but those conventions are different for diffrent groups and all of them are just fine.

Ok, thank you! This definitely cleared thing up. I guess there’s no point in hanging on to a dead language when making new words.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 49 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back