OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so three different pronunciations so far....

There is only one correct way.

if i go by consensus, it's pronounced "koy"

But i need proof now. Tell me why i should believe you?

:)

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word isn't random, the "quoyi" is a Latinized the name "Quoy" from the French Zoologist Jean René Constant Quoy. I have no idea what a Latinized pronunciation of a French name would be because I neither know French nor Latin.
Check this link out that mentions that this fish is named after him:

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word isn't random, the "quoyi" is a Latinized the name "Quoy" from the French Zoologist Jean René Constant Quoy. I have no idea what a Latinized pronunciation of a French name would be because I neither know French nor Latin.
Check this link out that mentions that this fish is named after him:
If it is latinized, the -i at the end should be pronounced like a hard e. Like EEE. If you want a Latin explanation, the person named quoy was, I’m guessing, a man. Thus, latinization would add second declension endings to the word. The ending of the long -i would be a genitive singular then, which makes sense since it would mean “of quoy”. So, the parrotfish of quoy. Not sure if that makes sense, but it is not an “eye” sound if this word has been latinized.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought we figured this one out.

We have some sort of school teacher person I think @ScottR and he said it was pronounced Ki’ Nwa

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought we figured this one out.

We have some sort of school teacher person I think @ScottR and he said it was pronounced Ki’ Nwa
giphy.gif

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is latinized, the -i at the end should be pronounced like a hard e. Like EEE. If you want a Latin explanation, the person named quoy was, I’m guessing, a man. Thus, latinization would add second declension endings to the word. The ending of the long -i would be a genitive singular then, which makes sense since it would mean “of quoy”. So, the parrotfish of quoy. Not sure if that makes sense, but it is not an “eye” sound if this word has been latinized.
Names are different. C. boylei is pronounced Boyle-eye. X greenei is pronounced Greene-eye.

Poppycock.
Do you pronounce it Acro-pour-ah or a-crop-or-ah? pocillopora point of sale-ill-o-pour- ah or pocil -op-or-ah? They are all fine. They are all 'correct'.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back