OK so what is stopping you installing an Algae Turf Scrubber on your system?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it takes up more room then a single reactor [emoji23][emoji23]
Can you fit a single reactor as efficient and compact as my Atlantis 2 above a sump with a head height of just 10" maximum and no room in the sump or cabinet to fit a freestanding reactor?

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you fit a single reactor as efficient and compact as my Atlantis 2 above a sump with a head height of just 10" maximum and no room in the sump or cabinet to fit a freestanding reactor?
if that's what works for you that's awesome. But a diy chaeto reactor has put every 200+dollar algae scrubber full of fancy acrylic to shame that I've seen. Taking up less space and being easier to maintain.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that's what works for you that's awesome. But a diy chaeto reactor has put every 200+dollar algae scrubber full of fancy acrylic to shame that I've seen. Taking up less space and being easier to maintain.

Hi RU; can I ask (a sincere) question?

How long does it take to disconnect the reactor from plumbing, pull the unit apart to remove the algae, re-assemble & re-connect the reactor into the plumbing?

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RU; can I ask (a sincere) question?

How long does it take to disconnect the reactor from plumbing, pull the unit apart to remove the algae, re-assemble & re-connect the reactor into the plumbing?
I flip the switch on a DJ strip to kill the pump. The top of my reactor is 3 compression like snap downs that pull the lid closed, I flip those 3 and remove the lid. Reach down and disconnect the the lights power supply, like unplugging your headphones and the reactor is free. Pull out 50%of the chaeto or how ever much you'd like. plug lights in son lid down, flip DJ strip power supply to the pump back on.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair you cannot compare prices of a professionally made scrubber & a home made reactor. Apples & oranges.
A brand made reactor sells for hundreds of $

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor I made mine with is ideal thanks to the way the lid seperates so quickly and easily.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flip the switch on a DJ strip to kill the pump. The top of my reactor is 3 compression like snap downs that pull the lid closed, I flip those 3 and remove the lid. Reach down and disconnect the the lights power supply, like unplugging your headphones and the reactor is free. Pull out 50%of the chaeto or how ever much you'd like. plug lights in son lid down, flip DJ strip power supply to the pump back on.
And how long does all that take?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minutes at most?
I just cleaned one screen from my scrubber.
From the time I opened the cabinet doors, to the time I closed them, was less than one minute.
I didn't need to disconnect any plumbing.
I didn't need to switch off the pump.
I didn't need to switch off any lights.

Its all about design.

A reactor could never be maintained in that time.

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned one screen from my scrubber.
From the time I opened the cabinet doors, to the time I closed them, was less than one minute.
I didn't need to disconnect any plumbing.
I didn't need to switch off the pump.
I didn't need to switch off any lights.

Its all about design.

A reactor could never be maintained in that time.
bruuuuuuh, why are you lying.... Didn't turn of a pump? So you just slung water all over the place??... [emoji58]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bruuuuuuh, why are you lying.... Didn't turn of a pump? So you just slung water all over the place??... [emoji58]
You can do open algae scrubbers that use flow from the return pump. You literally can open the door, grab the algae, and close the door. You need a high power fuge light for it to work well but it can be that simple.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the answer to the question I asked so I will take that as a no then. IME an well designed ATS will out perform a cheato reactor and of course mine works for me along with so many people that use them. However as said they both have their pluses and minuses and of the 2 an ATS wins for me. I would consider running both however but I don't think I can accomadate a cheato reactor but you never know perhaps I could slip a slim one in somehow.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be rude to you. Don't call me a liar.

As I said, its all about design.

My design, for a downflow scrubber.
There is no other design like it I have ever seen.

So back off with the denigration.

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see this conversation is going no where beneficial. Have a good day

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it takes 1 minute or 5-10 minutes usually isn't really a deal breaker for most. Overall ease of use and effectiveness, quality build, etc and that usually encompasses time/week spent on maintenance.

I suggest everyone quit swinging our junk at each other over this because it seems pretty pointless....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATS is easy and quick to maintain that's because it's well designed. I don't have to undo X number of screws simply switch off the pump take off the lid and lift the screen out harvest algae put back and turn the pump back on. Quick and easy nothing to it. No seals thumb screws to undo or tighten. I am not knocking cheato reactors they are fine for the money but I can tell you no way will cheato pound for pound out perform my Ulva intestinalis I grow in my ATS.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran a rain scrubber for a little over a year. They work very well, but they can also work to well which was one of the main reason I stopped running mine. When your BB and don't have a lot of fish you can easily strip a system. Personally these scrubbers should be for guys with crazy high nutrients not for anything under 10 no3 or more. Stuff does it job when they kick in. Do wonder if it does change the tint color of the water, also noticed a green tint to the water having run one. Regarding easy of use and how long it takes to clean. The people that don't have a rain have no clue if they are claiming its takes long to clean or maintain. Its beyond simple to use and clean.

For now mine is flowing with out lights on to get the tank dirtier.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back