Old Fish Tank

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently came acrost an old 120 gallon glass tank for sale for $300. I picked it up because it came with a brand new still in the box wet/dry filter with a built in skimmer, an older t5/led hybrid light fixture brand new still in the box and a bunch of misc. rock. I was planning on either using it as an upgrade to my 75 or doing a FOWLR since my wife loves all the non reef safe fish.

The bottom of the tank got a chip in it when the old owner had the moving company putting it into place. He had the company he bought the tank from come out and silicone a piece of glass over the chipped area. He also said the tank was about 15 years old and never had seen water.

I filled it with water, and it held for a week before I drained it.

My questions is should I trust the old silicone seams to hold over time? I'm also concerned about the repair. Trying to make it a cheap setup if I do try to turn it into a FAWLR.

Filter.jpg Fix.jpg Light.jpg Tank.jpg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we'd need a closer view of the damaged area and repair. I'm sure there's a structural engineer on this platform that could give an accurate assessment.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we'd need a closer view of the damaged area and repair. I'm sure there's a structural engineer on this platform that could give an accurate assessment.
Ill try and get some better pictures of it when I get home from work. I've read that it's better to have a tank sit dry than with water in it but I also don't want to end up with 120 gallons of water on my floor.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try and get some better pictures of it when I get home from work. I've read that it's better to have a tank sit dry than with water in it but I also don't want to end up with 120 gallons of water on my floor.
Yeah, lots of water on the floor is indeed bad.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was noticing some condensation on the bottom side of the repairs piece when I was taking the photos. So not a good sign to start with. I tried my best to hold the tank up and get a pic of the cracked area on the bottom side.

I think the tank is trashed unless there is a better repair than what’s been done.

Attachments

• 56EEC896-530B-4AE4-8DEB-E5EB8F9A6AA9.jpeg
    56EEC896-530B-4AE4-8DEB-E5EB8F9A6AA9.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DE1DCD51-D06A-4D97-8AE8-03062F4F5143.jpeg
    DE1DCD51-D06A-4D97-8AE8-03062F4F5143.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 7A5D7F0A-E7A8-45FF-A580-B6409EC5EEA7.jpeg
    7A5D7F0A-E7A8-45FF-A580-B6409EC5EEA7.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 20

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. Maybe if the chip was smaller and on the top edge of the tank, but I’d be too concerned with the sheer weight of the water and additional stressed from water movement. You could always get a new panel and replace the chipped on, but cost and effort wise, it’s probably not worth it either.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. Maybe if the chip was smaller and on the top edge of the tank, but I’d be too concerned with the sheer weight of the water and additional stressed from water movement. You could always get a new panel and replace the chipped on, but cost and effort wise, it’s probably not worth it either.
Maybe I’ll turn it into an inside herb garden for my wife already got the grow light

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back