Old school lighting

tcorrell02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any old school experience with marineland marine series pro lighting? 2 150w metal halide lights, 4 t5 lights and 4 leds. From what I can tell they haven't been made In 10+ years, but we're pricy when they were made, around $1000 in 2010. Anyway, I just picked one up, virtually unused, for what i feel was a steal. Hope it does what I think it will.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I could find and also what I can remember:

Integrated 3-mode light systems designed to match Marineland® aquariums and canopies. Separate timing of each light type makes possible a completely customizable light profile, so you can enjoy your aquarium at any hour.

• Satisfy the 24-hour needs of marine, reef, plant, or freshwater life.
  • Integrated 3-mode digital timer, for a completely customizable light profile.
  • Highest light output in their class: a balanced mix of HQI metal halide, high-output T5 fluorescent, and LED moonlight simulation.
  • Each light type controlled by its own three-mode digital timer.
Unlike other three-mode lighting systems, each Marine Series fixture features:

• Five lengths—24 in.*, 36 in., 48 in., 60 in., and 72 in.—to fit most aquarium sizes.
  • High intensity 14,000K HQI metal halide lamps. 24 and 36 in. models–one each; 48 and 60 in. models–two each; 72 in. model–three each. Each lamp 150 watts.
  • HO T5 actinic lamps to intensify the blue wavelengths. Penetrate deeper, especially to meet the photosynthetic needs of invertebrates. 24 in.–four 24-watt lamps. 36 in.–four 39-watt lamps. 48 and 60 in.–four 54-watt lamps. 72 in.–eight 39-watt lamps.
  • LED accent lights to replicate moonlight and help coral reproduction and nighttime viewing and feeding. 24 and 36 in.–two 1-watt LEDs each. 46 and 60 in.–four 1-watt LEDs each. 72 in.–six 1-watt LEDs.
  • Single 12 ft. cord for easiest installation and maintenance.
  • Internal electronic ballasts.
  • Interchangeable accent strips.
  • Adjustable legs are included.
  • Wire hanging kit available separately for above-tank installation.
And the quick set up guide:

IMG_0534.jpeg

Back when these first came out, they were both liked and disliked. The general consensus was fantastic light for a softie and lps tank up to a mixed reef. The argument was SPS. It was generally agreed that SPS could only be kept in the top 2/3s or so of the tank as the 150w bulb is not the strongest for deeper tanks. Not sure how deep your tank is, but it should be a great light. I have a blue line light (similar set up 2x150w lights, t5s and moons) and it worked great on my 24” deep 65 with them mounted about a foot off the water had no issue with SPS within the top 2/3s.

Hope this helps!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a best-of-breed halide setup. This was more along the lines of cheap china junk like Odyssea. However, with better bulbs and ballasts, the fixtures were fine until the timers and LEDs and stuff started to go out.

If it is cheap enough, use it for a few year and have fun. Just keep expectations at the appropriate level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back