Old school Southdown sand - still worthwhile?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got out of the hobby 12 years ago I picked up 5x 50# bags of Southdown Caribbean play sand. This is an aragonite sand that was a significantly cheaper option to other sands at the time.

This is an oolite/sugar sand size and was popular for deep sand beds due to cost.

Questioning if I can use this in my restart.

Plan to keep LPS and eventually SPS down the road. Will this sand just get blown around the tank?

Will adding a top layer of AragAlive help keep it in place?

Should I just ditch the Southdown and use new sand?

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
premium aquatics used to bring in skids of it. I got mine at Home depot. This was a very long time ago.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting I use the Southdown or that I probably should ditch it for a heavier grade of sand?
I use the CaribSea oolite - which looks fantastic. I just had to fine-tune my return outlets and wavemakers so as to not kick it up all over the place. I also have a parrotfish that likes to dig, so I'm occasionally blasting stuff off. It's generally fairly maintenance free and the inverts absolutely love it.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a shame to use it after so long. That's the kind of thing you pass down to your kids :p I do like oolite though...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back in the early 2000 I got two pallets of Southdown sand from Home Depo. They did not have that sand in Corpus Christi so they shipped it here for me for free.
it was great sand for reef tanks. I used it in my 420 gal deep sand bed and later in my 320 gal reef.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back