OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe because of my RUGF but in the years my tank has been running the power has gone out many times. Sandy we were out for 4 days but in the 80s (I think) we were out for a week and I had no generator but I never lost a thing. UG filters are very forgiving for those situations as water flows through them. I just kept removing water and dumping it back through the UG filter plates.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank CPR- mitigation for high BOD, nice :)

Nick.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question. Where do I find those long, thin, turkey baster things?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on how much consistent effort you're willing to put in it. For instance, if you're sand is shallow enough that you can keep stiring it up, it's not going to go bad. And I agree the more substrate the more bacteria, but using bio media blocks would make up the difference. I also believe those pores will get blocked over time, but you can slowly change them out as that time arrives. I believe in cleaning detritus from everywhere as often as possible, including off the rocks and sump corners. Washing sock filters weekly etc. But only time will tell if it makes it past the 12 year mark. I suspect it will.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have no idea what I just read. All I know is it was funny so I kept reading. That's something to say since I never read post this long.

But I would've liked an explanation why a DSB was a bad idea? Or if the whole article is about bacteria then maybe it was sarcasm saying it was a good idea?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a DSB in a 40 gallon tank...maybe that is why I have never been brave enough to post pictures of my current tank. Oh well maybe the new build will make to pictures...but then everyone will be able to see all the mistakes I will and have made. What to do, what to do. In any case due to my age I will never own a tank with a life span of Paul's tank. Well done Paul. Keep showing us how to do it long term. I am always looking for the least fuss no muss way to keep a reef tank so I can help customers with that success some day. I am convinced that all the electronics is more about capturing our dollars than making bacteria happy...also fish and corals.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is rugf? Real ugly girl friend?

Just kidding ;)

I like deep sand beds and lots of fish. But I'm only 5 years in. I'll let you know how it's doing in another 10 i guess. But i also have a lot of burying wrasses and snails too. Except in this part of my sump.

1483425529801-327673991.jpg

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul do you recommend stir up sand bad 2 times year ? Just curious cos i have 1-2 inch sand bend i see detritus in it. Dont have puellaris goby in tank ( have him for 1 year and it died ) So my sandbad is 1y without touching. It isnt dsb and i am planing to put puellaris again to keep my sand white. Also i have mandarin for 1 year so far and it is triving so i guess i am good for now but long term not sure. Also i blast rocks every 6 months but problem is my rocks are covered with zoa and shoorms and not sure should i blast them but after this reading i am doubting even more. Thanks for help.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slim-Okrug if you are keeping a mandarin for a year he is obviously thriving which means you have plenty of pods in your tank which is the best thing that can happen. I don't use sand, only gravel so it is a different process. I would stir that sand a few times a year just to keep the spaces between the grains clear to an extent. Be careful doing that the first time because your 2" sand is almost a DSB but not quite and there may be pockets of hydrogen sulfide in there, but I doubt it. If there is, you need to get them out at some point because it just keeps building up. You can see them as black, very smelly places.

Triggreef. Good luck. I know of one or two DSBs that are 12 years old, but I am not sure how long they can last. I just don't like or trust them and never have. But that's just me and I am not the God of DSBs so I could be completely wrong.

Lowell, I doubt you could make as many mistakes as I did. I think I made them all and even made up a few myself. I killed more fish than Star Kist Tuna.

One question. Where do I find those long, thin, turkey baster things?

Nick, What long thin turkey baster things? I don't see no long neck turkey baster things! :rolleyes:
You can get them at "Marine Depot" They are called coral feeders.

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man for info. I write wrong i have gravel to not fine sand. 1-3mm gravel type.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good reading here.
But does OTS really exist ? if it's not linked to the tank itself but more to the hobbyist care of the tank...I saw a video from MACNA 2016, i can'T remember the presenter, but he was talking about LRS (lazy reefer syndrom)... we could say instead of OTS or LRS, LPRS or LIRS (Lack of Passion / Interest Reefer Syndrom).

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the undergravel filter, just make believe you could see through the gravel. I think it is still in there as I didn't see it after 1979 or so.

As for Supermodels, they are all out on a photoshoot now, except for my wife. (I think this picture was quite a few years ago but she is still a Supermodel) ;)

This one is a lot newer.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
You the man Paul..
I know how ugf works, but could ya elaborate how have you connected or plumbed the pipes and pump together. Basically how does this reverse system work, in terms of footprint, empty space between bottom pane and gravel, flow etc...

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this high tech (old HOB filter) manifold at the rear and to the right of the tank. (I since build a nicer looking one) The water is pumped through that vinyl tube into the container. I don't have a sump or I would pump it from there. It goes down the three tubes to the UG filter plate. Two of the tubes are bent right at the gravel to go over to where they go into the UG filter plate. This is all behind the rocks so you don't see it. There is a tiny hole just at those bends that let out any air bubbles so they don't get stuck under the filter. The key is to run it very slow. Like 50 GPH down each tube. The empty space under the plate is about 1/2"

Tank is in a wall so you don't see any of this

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the ones in that picture as I built that LED light out of aluminum tubing. The new fixture is copper pipe and is water cooled. The water flows through a radiator in back of the tank and the entire system stays just a little warmer than room temperature. There is a thread on it here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/water-cooled-led-fixture.222051/

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some sick stuff...

Yes, like Bubonic Plague sick. I love it :D
Lately I have been in SteamPunk Mode so that's all I think about. Supermodels and Steam Punk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back