tcmfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Sulawesi Beach Exhibit is cared for by myself, Tim Morrissey, at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.

The tank is roughly 20 foot wide and 3 foot deep at the front. The display is about 10,000 gallons and the reserve is as well, making for a total near 20,000 gallons.

A wave enters the exhibit every minute and a half or so, and is operated by a pneumatic air cylinder that opens and closes a flap in a large pipe. When the flap opens, about 2-300 gallons dumps into the tank.

The tank is quite simple. It uses a commercial MRC protein skimmer with ozone injection for filtration.

Supplementation is supplied by a drip of 50 gallons of kalkwasser daily. Occasionally alkalinity or calcium are boosted mannually.

The lighting consists of 9-11 1000watt metal halide fixtures with SunMaster Blue Ice bulbs (6 for the reef and 3-5 for the plants). There is also one 400watt metal halide unit with a SunMaster Blue Ice bulb.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Sulawesi Beach Exhibit is cared for by myself, Tim Morrissey, at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.

The tank is roughly 20 foot wide and 3 foot deep at the front. The display is about 10,000 gallons and the reserve is as well, making for a total near 20,000 gallons.

A wave enters the exhibit every minute and a half or so, and is operated by a pneumatic air cylinder that opens and closes a flap in a large pipe. When the flap opens, about 2-300 gallons dumps into the tank.

The tank is quite simple. It uses a commercial MRC protein skimmer with ozone injection for filtration.

Supplementation is supplied by a drip of 50 gallons of kalkwasser daily. Occasionally alkalinity or calcium are boosted mannually.

The lighting consists of 9-11 1000watt metal halide fixtures with SunMaster Blue Ice bulbs (6 for the reef and 3-5 for the plants). There is also one 400watt metal halide unit with a SunMaster Blue Ice bulb.

Great job! Really cool exhibit.
I've read about this tank in "Advances in coral husbandry in public aquariums". Very nice to see how it looks today!

And nice to see that there's more aquarist from public aquariums here at R2R :)

/ David

Back