Omega 150 skimmer to a dc pump?

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I got a 9 years old omega 150, it still works in my sump. Replaced impeller a few times through out the years.
Has anyone ever tried use a dc pump on it? The omega 150 uses a psk 1000 from sicce.
Honestly, I could just have it run the way it is but would like to get more control on the water and air input into the skimmer.

Thanks
Lee

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I got a 9 years old omega 150, it still works in my sump. Replaced impeller a few times through out the years.
Has anyone ever tried use a dc pump on it? The omega 150 uses a psk 1000 from sicce.
Honestly, I could just have it run the way it is but would like to get more control on the water and air input into the skimmer.

Thanks
Lee
Actually my mistake. It has a Syncra sk400 but, I have found a psk 1000 impeller to be a better fit since vertex modified their own impeller.
was looking at the psk 1200 as possibility or a similar size dc pump.

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VarioS-2S Controllable DC Skimmer Pump - Reef Octopus
I have this on a 6" body skimmer, Aqua MaxCone S2, it should handle your Omega 150, what is the height of the middle of the inlet for the skimmer?
Thanks for the recommendation, did some research in the varios-S2. Looks like this might work.
it’s current sitting in the sump at about 7.5 inches of water.
I have found that this is the sweet spot.
Since varios -S2 uses a union fitting to connect to the skimmer. On the other hand, omega uses only a clear hose to connect its pump. Do I need a special fitting to connect the varios to the skimmer bottle? PVC adapter?
I do like the fact that varios even includes a Venturi and the pump head moves around, so It can be laid on its side. This works even better for the omega. :)

Attachments

• D8AC303F-C90D-4817-A99C-74F737EE9CC0.jpeg
    D8AC303F-C90D-4817-A99C-74F737EE9CC0.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 43

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leicobra
"Since varios -S2 uses a union fitting to connect to the skimmer. On the other hand, omega uses only a clear hose to connect its pump. Do I need a special fitting to connect the varios to the skimmer bottle? PVC adapter?"

No the Omega 150 updated their skimmers with a silicon tubing from the pump to the body if I remember correctly.
I am house sitting for a couple of days so it might be tough to get to my pump,
I believe that the Various 2 pump is 1", the Omega is 3/4", you could slide a 1"/3/4" adapter, then a straight 3/4" pipe, your sump looks really tight so it can be tough.
The varios pumps impeller are pretty cheap like 30 bucks, so you could convert the pump to a return pump instead in the future.
There are other DC skimmer pumps that might work, Simplicity are cheap but they are threaded fittings, the DC 240 pump should work great on your skimmer. Great C/S, heck the DC 240 Simplicity skimmer is cheaper than the Various 2 Pump, and the pump is on the inside which would make your life easier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back