OMG! Liveaquaria switched their 14 day guarantee to a store credit!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which is why I haven’t opened Any of their emails since July 2019
I refuse to be a Petco style victim of their continuing failure and rediculous policies

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that "box Fee" is soooo much like "fees"banks charge: meaningless add ons that really should be reflected in the prices
I've lost every single seahorse I've ordered, my take is I'd confine my orders to less delicate species that can take shipping rigours
I've probably spent $600 with them in the last 18 months, maybe more, as I stock up my 250g. I'm thinking I might be done giving them my business. Can anybody make some recommendations?
yeah ....Can anybody make some recommendations?

Last edited:

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen less add ons from a car dealership. Why not just nickel and dime it for all its worth.

addon.jpg

Stephen Reed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s pretty disappointing I have to spend 30 dollars in shipping to use 12 dollars of store credit.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the gripes and complaints I thought I would post something positive. I ordered an African Imperator from DD. It came in today an hour late which is no big deal, its obvious its getting close to Christmas and why I will not order another fish until after the first. After $12 of repeat customer credit the fish came out to $180 tax, box, and fish. I know you can get juveniles cheaper but I like the African Emperors more. I have grown two to adult and then sold them because my tanks where not large enough. Now I have an 8' tank and it should work out great after 8+ weeks of QT
15.5 lbs of box and water for a 4" fish
1 box.jpg

2 bag.jpg

3 fish n bag.jpg

4 fish in fw dip.jpg

Is Live Aquaria perfect, no but I feel like their employee's try to ship the fish with care most times

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the gripes and complaints I thought I would post something positive. I ordered an African Imperator from DD. It came in today an hour late which is no big deal, its obvious its getting close to Christmas and why I will not order another fish until after the first. After $12 of repeat customer credit the fish came out to $180 tax, box, and fish. I know you can get juveniles cheaper but I like the African Emperors more. I have grown two to adult and then sold them because my tanks where not large enough. Now I have an 8' tank and it should work out great after 8+ weeks of QT
1 box.jpg

2 bag.jpg

3 fish n bag.jpg

4 fish in fw dip.jpg

Is Live Aquaria perfect, no but I feel like their employee's try to ship the fish with care most times

My interactions with IA and DD have usually been very positive, similar to yours. $180 is a bit high for a juvi, but over the life of the fish it makes no difference. Bravo and waiting for a tank large enough to house this beast as well as going through a QT.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what you all are complaining about. Petco is where the pets go....

To die of disease

Liveaquaria is Petco and Petco is the Galactic Empire of Pets.
giphy.gif

Liveaquaria was once a beacon of hope...before the dark times... before the Empire.

I still order from the DD sometimes though lol.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes that "box Fee" is soooo much like "fees"banks charge: meaningless add ons that really should be reflected in the prices
I've lost every single seahorse I've ordered, my take is I'd confine my orders to less delicate species that can take shipping rigours

yeah ....Can anybody make some recommendations?

Support your LFS if you have one.
Most can order the same fish.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang my LFS. Paid $100 over LA price. Both died of ich/velvet. No recourse. LA at least gives store credit

There is no substitute for a medicated QT. Every ornamental fish store has parasites in their water. LFS around me also offer store credit if a fish dies within 2 days, nothing great, but better than nothing.

Last edited:

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
There is no substitute for a medicated QT. Every ornamental fish store has parasites in their water. LFS around me also offer store credit if a fish does within 2 days, nothing great, but better than nothing.
I did a medicated QT. They still died. LA would of given me store credit. Lfs won't. I'm out $230 supporting my lfs. Once fish leave lfs, it's so sorry not my problem and I have 3 in my area. All are the same

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 box.jpg

2 bag.jpg

3 fish n bag.jpg

4 fish in fw dip.jpg

What makes the ones from Africa better? Just curious.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Locker apparently does not give a 14-day guarantee on replacements. "There are no livestock guarantees on purchases made using store credit or ReefTastic Reward points. Arrive Alive is always in place."

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Our reef club called it the blender warranty. :) Plus they use to reship the new fish to you for free.

I just cannot see how this can be a sustainable business model given the way so many people tend to abuse the system today. What would stop a person from ordering an expensive fish and then claiming it died and getting another one for free?

My first set of imported fish came from Germany as no LFS that I knew of had SW fish back in the early 1990's. I picked them up at the airport at the cargo section and by time I got home and unpacked them 80% of my $500 order was dead. By the next day 100% of the order was dead. I called the company and they said sorry but there is no warranty on live animals. I ended up ordering from them again about two weeks later with very specific instructions on the packing and this time about 70% of the fish survived.

CincinnatiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I personally don't see a problem with any of the things people are complaining about here. I've bought over $2000 worth of fish from DD and LA and only one fish died. They gave me a credit and I used it next order. Considering I got no recourse at my local shops I don't think this is too bad. Can you imagine how many fish they have to pay for because of all the careless fools out there who have no clue what they are doing?

I am a business owner myself and I understand overhead/profit ratios and to be honest I have no clue how they even make this work to begin with. Their packaging is absolutely amazing. All 6 of my newest fish that I purchased arrived yesterday to Northern Colorado alive and well. All 6 are eating on day 2 as of this morning. Even the coral frag I got is doing well. BTW there is still almost a foot of snow out here in some places. They for sure had a cold journey and showed up with water temps still at 73.5.

Considering I wouldn't dare buy fish from 90% of the local shops in the Denver/Northern Colorado area I won't stop buying from them any time soon.
IMG_9640.jpg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cannot see how this can be a sustainable business model given the way so many people tend to abuse the system today. What would stop a person from ordering an expensive fish and then claiming it died and getting another one for free?

My first set of imported fish came from Germany as no LFS that I knew of had SW fish back in the early 1990's. I picked them up at the airport at the cargo section and by time I got home and unpacked them 80% of my $500 order was dead. By the next day 100% of the order was dead. I called the company and they said sorry but there is no warranty on live animals. I ended up ordering from them again about two weeks later with very specific instructions on the packing and this time about 70% of the fish survived.

Sadly the policy change is most likely due to customer fraud. I truly hope LA updates prices to reflect the new guarantee. It is very unlikely LA will stop selling marine fish, but if they do then what alternative is there? As I am looking at online vendors, most have policies significantly worse than LA's current one. Didn't realize how little responsibility many of these online guys take. I figured LA was on par with most other vendors, but no, they are still better.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the policy change is most likely due to customer fraud. I truly hope LA updates prices to reflect the new guarantee. It is very unlikely LA will stop selling marine fish, but if they do then what alternative is there? As I am looking at online vendors, most have policies significantly worse than LA's current one. Didn't realize how little responsibility many of these online guys take. I figured LA was on par with most other vendors, but no, they are still better.

My personal feeling is that even with the changes this is still a very good deal for the customer. People never appreciate how good something is until its gone. The LFS I have dealt with have never given me any kind of warranty. Pretty much as soon as I walk out the door the responsibility is all on me.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I feel like I'm the reason another online vendor changed their 14 day guarantee policy. I had many fish that ended up dying in qurantine, some died on the 12th day, and so on. They were real nice and quick about giving me credit but it eventually felt like they didn't respond to my fish loss claims as quick as I kept having many fish unfortunately die. And by the 4th month or so that I've been ordering from them, their 14 day guarantee was no longer free. You had an option of no guarantee, a 7 day guarantee, and a 14 day guarantee for a little bit more. I know I probably wasn't the only main reason lol but I joke with my friends and say otherwise. Most of my fish from them are alive and doing great today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back