On a Budget?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple you really don’t need all those fancy controllers, etc... for the tank get as much rock as you can afford, depending on the size of the tank some jebao wavemakers for circulation will work just fine. As for lights this is were you might need to splurge depending on what you are planning on keeping in the short and long term. In your sump a chamber for a protein skimmer, a chamber for a bunch of small pieces of live rock and the 3rd for a return pump(doesn’t need to be expensive) along with a little more small pieces of live rock will work just fine. I have a very simple setup by today’s standards that works great. The only thing I splurged on for my reef were the Kessil lights. So the 3 main things you need to have for a successful tank imo is lots of rock, skimmer and a good lighting system(I use WiFi controlled timers for the lights) lots of good deals on those right now during Halloween season. You really don’t need all the fancy gadgets although some do come in handy but are not really necessary. I could add many things to my system that would be really cool and automate it almost completely but they are not absolutely necessary for a thriving reef tank and the inhabitants. IMO I would save your coin for the lights as those will dictate what corals you can keep thriving now and in the future. I will include a pic of my tank so you can see what you can accomplish with what most would call a simple setup.

4B12501A-1615-428C-9DB2-CCDA2A3F5053.jpeg
225D5934-7665-4B3B-92CC-D62E8A522D83.jpeg
4B449D13-AC09-4F4D-A745-C9C1E3987A62.jpeg
5123B91E-DD4C-4DC1-9C48-3CFFD74A6065.jpeg
C559AF5D-B13C-4DAB-AF6C-D74937085F87.jpeg
A65521BF-C696-4560-B2FB-6C79F47F451B.jpeg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PEople get this hobby 2 expensive to show off and to get mostly blingy stuff! Its like buying everysingle Apple thing. If Apple sold a water bottle for $20 people would buy that also.

Few TIPS to save up.
1. You don't need a protein skimmer. Build you own hang on the glass Algae scrubber. Check the DIY King Build in youtube.
2. You don't need facy lights. If you can get a bit of electrical knowledge, Buy soem LEDs and set them up for like $20-30.
3. You don't need RODI water. Tap water will do mroe than fine. Get a chemical to to clean like a declorinator to treat the water from the tap and run a bag of active carbon.

I honestly cannot disagree much more with anything said above. Where to start?

1. You don't need a protein skimmer. Build you own hang on the glass Algae scrubber. Check the DIY King Build in youtube. I agree that you don't need a skimmer, but I also don't think you need an algae scrubber. I run a 40g without a skimmer or scrubber. Just a filter sock, rock, and sand.
2. You don't need facy lights. If you can get a bit of electrical knowledge, Buy soem LEDs and set them up for like $20-30. Again, I agree that you don't need fancy lights, but wiring your own LED's is both a lot of work, and usually much more unsightly, with little benefit to cost. Look at the AquaKnight (hipargero) lights, or get some PAR38 bulbs and gooseneck mounts. I have used both with great success, though I prefer the AquaKnight (2 would do great on your tank).
You don't need RODI water. Tap water will do mroe than fine. Get a chemical to to clean like a declorinator to treat the water from the tap and run a bag of active carbon. Forget that you ever saw this. If you are looking to have a saltwater green hair algae tank, then this is great advice. If, however, you want to actually keep healthy corals, you will need to use either RODI water or distilled.

Here is a current picture of my tank for reference, again just a filter sock, rock, and sand for filtration.

2019-10-08_09-29-06 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started saving and squirreling away five bucks here and there in my sock drawer to do a once a month trip to the fishy store. Also have a jar full of change I'm about to go through. (shhh, don't tell my husband)
I won’t if you won’t tell my wife, i’ve several hundred dollars and still no water in the tank,good luck

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly cannot disagree much more with anything said above. Where to start?

1. You don't need a protein skimmer. Build you own hang on the glass Algae scrubber. Check the DIY King Build in youtube. I agree that you don't need a skimmer, but I also don't think you need an algae scrubber. I run a 40g without a skimmer or scrubber. Just a filter sock, rock, and sand.
2. You don't need facy lights. If you can get a bit of electrical knowledge, Buy soem LEDs and set them up for like $20-30. Again, I agree that you don't need fancy lights, but wiring your own LED's is both a lot of work, and usually much more unsightly, with little benefit to cost. Look at the AquaKnight (hipargero) lights, or get some PAR38 bulbs and gooseneck mounts. I have used both with great success, though I prefer the AquaKnight (2 would do great on your tank).
You don't need RODI water. Tap water will do mroe than fine. Get a chemical to to clean like a declorinator to treat the water from the tap and run a bag of active carbon. Forget that you ever saw this. If you are looking to have a saltwater green hair algae tank, then this is great advice. If, however, you want to actually keep healthy corals, you will need to use either RODI water or distilled.

Here is a current picture of my tank for reference, again just a filter sock, rock, and sand for filtration.

2019-10-08_09-29-06 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Again the typical Reefer who want to spend thousands of cash. While agreeing trying to disagree.
All those thinigs listed are done by me currently and i know many more.
1. You saying that becasue you don't need protein skimmer you should not include algae scrubber also? Mind you which you make make for few bucks ? Becasue you did not use it no one elese should also what the heck stupid logic is this ? There are soo many people who use an algae scrubber and not a protein skimmer.

2. LED technology had come a long way and you can get soo many plug and play and clip on LED stuff nowadays. Also I said if you have the skills or want to check how to do to do it. Technologically impared or people who have cash to throw away ,buy big brad LEDs paying 10x what they are worth.

3. Soo many refeers don't use RODI water including me. This is anotehr self absorbed stupid thing that people think every one does, along with quarantining fish for 2 months on intense medication. I can bet, atleast 1/3 of the users on this forum does not use RODI water for their 1st system. Even well known Youtube reef personalities use the methode i said for their budget builds.

Don't be sooo ignorant and open your eyes to the real world!!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again the typical Reefer who want to spend thousands of cash. While agreeing trying to disagree.
1. You saying that becasue you don't need protein skimmer you should not include algae scrubber also? Mind you which you make make for few bucks ? Becasue you did not use it no one elese should also what the heck stupid logic is this ? There are soo many people who use an algae scrubber and not a protein skimmer.

2. LED technology had come a long way and you can get soo many plug and play and clip on LED stuff nowadays. Also I said . Technologically impared or people who have cash to throw away ,buy big brad LEDs paying 10x what they are worth.

3. Soo many refeers don't use RODI water including me. This is anotehr self absorbed stupid thing that people think every one does, along with quarantining fish for 2 months on intense medication. . Even well known Youtube reef personalities use the methode i said for their budget builds.

WOW, just WOW. :eek:

The things you just said are SOOOOOO far off base it is astonishing. I am not going to waste my time explaining the complete fallacies and inaccuracies in your statements and recommendations. I will however say that it is exactly these kinds of recommendations that drive people out of this hobby almost as soon as they get in. Doing things the right way does NOT mean doing things the EXPENSIVE way. Most of the gadgets available in this hobby are supposed to help make it easier. Sometimes they do, other times I think they complicate things.

Finally, calling others ignorant, self absorbed, or stupid, because they did not agree with advice you gave is one of the biggest signs that YOU are all the things you call those others.

White Hair, I apologize for the turn this thread has taken. There are many great options for running a successful budget reef. Please keep asking around R2R for recommendations from the MANY knowledgeable folks here. I know it can sometimes be difficult to separate the bad advice from the good, but the majority of the help you get here will set you on the path to success. Ultimately, it is up to you what advice you use and what you put aside. Good luck with your build and please start a build thread and keep us all up to date as it progresses.

Hopefully others will chime in with more advise and opinions.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you might know i’m on s/s and just getting started, starting to freak out a little. If some of you are on a budget or have been, how do you or how did you handle improving your tank. I’m just getting started and have several hundred invested and a long way to go. How did you handle it, need a little input thanks.
Overwhelmed yet? LOL

Not sure what you meant by "improving the tank". For me, an essential rule for any budget build is to make the first purchase count. In other words, don't buy things with the intent of upgrading later. If you do that you are only paying for things twice. Rule #2 is don't be in a hurry. Patience pays off when looking for deals.

Stick with the T5 setup. You don't need LEDs. Saying LEDs are cheaper in the long run is a fallacy.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For budget, just remember, you don't need every new, fancy, and expensive item to have a nice reef. I, personally, bought all the newest and fancy stuff and I tend to not see the need for it anymore. I sold and traded a good bit of it off.
30 gallon would need a light and a wave maker to start. Thats it. And the wavemaker can be a cheap hydor or jebao. It doesn't need to cost $300.

But, don't use tap water, conditioned or not. Terrible idea that you will regret. But water at your LFS or get a rodi.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you might know i’m on s/s and just getting started, starting to freak out a little. If some of you are on a budget or have been, how do you or how did you handle improving your tank. I’m just getting started and have several hundred invested and a long way to go. How did you handle it, need a little input thanks.

Personally I'd start with a fish only tank

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be honest. This is a hobby that runs on money. You can decide how much to some extent.
I did the free Nanocube with burned out lights I repaired myself.
113_1331_2-L.jpg

20 gallon long and 10 gallon sump, 3 maxijets and a skimmer DIY overflow
IMG_0365-L.jpg

This is 6 cheap corals fragged over and over to fill the tank

Are you handy?

DIY is where you can save a lot.
A old tank and some salvage glass makes a perfectly good sump.
IMG_0889-XL.jpg

Use the regular PVC to do your plumbing.

Think outside the box
100 gallon stock tanks that cost 80 dollars do what I need.
IMG_0939%5B1%5D-L.jpg

But careful. Reefing is a disease and it sucks you right in
IMG_1563-L.jpg

Until you are fully infected and beyond hope.
IMG_1561-XL.jpg

I like cheap tuna and so does the cat.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start Fowlr, I've seen lots of good deals on AI lights recently and more to come soon im sure with the new ones coming out. I agree that for a fowlr or softy tank t5 is not needed. Sounds like you have a good start. If you think about adding or upgrading, wait and buy some thing that is rated slightly larger as long as it can be turned down, you can continue to use it later if you decide to upgrade.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2. LED technology had come a long way and you can get soo many plug and play and clip on LED stuff nowadays. Also I said if you have the skills or want to check how to do to do it. Technologically impared or people who have cash to throw away ,buy big brad LEDs paying 10x what they are worth.

3. Soo many refeers don't use RODI water including me. This is anotehr self absorbed stupid thing that people think every one does, along with quarantining fish for 2 months on intense medication. I can bet, atleast 1/3 of the users on this forum does not use RODI water for their 1st system. Even well known Youtube reef personalities use the methode i said for their budget builds.

I run a system almost exactly like yours and I disagree with almost every point that you made.
First of all, nobody said that algae scrubbers were not useful or that you shouldn’t use them. However, this does not make them a necessary piece of equipment. They are useful, just like protein skimmers are useful, but Neither one is required.
I do see your point with leds. A black box is a cheap option that can get the job done for about any coral you want. If you don’t want corals or are very good at handy work, a diy system could be an option.
Lastly, I HATE it when people say that rodi systems are not useful or needed. I use tap water, so this is first hand experience. If you want the centerpiece of your tank to be the thick lair of green hair algae coating every surface in the tank, then go ahead and use tap. I have also found that when using tap, a qt is a must. For some reason, every fish that I have not quarantined has died from a parasite even though I keep my parameters in check.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal advice from my own experience and lurking on these forums:

1. Black box LED setups will get the job done
2. RODI is 99% of the time a must. You could get luck and be blessed with perfect tap water but most of us aren't, and if you don't see issues right away, my experience tells me it's just a matter of time. Best to start with knows params and clean RO/DI water. Whether that's from your LFS or unit is your call.
3. Wave makers/power heads have come a long way and the Jabeo units have lasted me a long time and done quite well.
4. Go slow, the hobby can be incredibly exciting and very expensive up front. Going slow not only helps how much money you shell out but also gives you time for the inevitable learning curve that comes with this hobby. That way you aren't making unknown mistakes and wasting money in livestock.

I'd recommend (as others have above) to check out innappropriate reefer's youtube videos on the budget 10 gallon tank. It's a pretty good one with some very trangible results.

Best of luck!

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a system almost exactly like yours and I disagree with almost every point that you made.
First of all, nobody said that algae scrubbers were not useful or that you shouldn’t use them. However, this does not make them a necessary piece of equipment. They are useful, just like protein skimmers are useful, but Neither one is required.
I do see your point with leds. A black box is a cheap option that can get the job done for about any coral you want. If you don’t want corals or are very good at handy work, a diy system could be an option.
Lastly, I HATE it when people say that rodi systems are not useful or needed. I use tap water, so this is first hand experience. If you want the centerpiece of your tank to be the thick lair of green hair algae coating every surface in the tank, then go ahead and use tap. I have also found that when using tap, a qt is a must. For some reason, every fish that I have not quarantined has died from a parasite even though I keep my parameters in check.

Sure Algae Scrubber are not necessary but if you can make one for few bucks it is a great piece of filtering methode. Specially if you going to be using no skimmer and no RODI water. Nice airation to the system and filtering methode.

For me personally I"m using tap wather and don't even use any chemicals to clean it(OFC for you gusy you will need to put chemicals to clean it before). This is due to the fact that, I store the water coming in from pipe in a seperate tank for backup perpose. I use this water to fill the tank and it has stayed in tank for weeks. Clorine will be gone by then and small sedenents would have settled down. Never had any algae problems in freshwater or salt water so far.

Mind you i'm around 3 months of starting point and only had small diatom phase and nothing after. In fact I'm having hard time with almsot no algae in tank to feed my small powder blue tang. the 5 turbo snails I have even don't have anything to eat anymroe .Thinking of just keeping 2 and throwing 3 of them to sea maybe??
This is my tank today. Just spotless.

Last edited:

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="TheShrimpNibbler, post:6586201, member: 131015"]

Sure Algae Scrubber are not necessary but if you can make one for few bucks it is a great piece of filtering methode. Specially if you going to be using no skimmer and no RODI water. Nice airation to the system and filtering methode.

For me personally I"m using tap wather and don't even use any chemicals to clean it(OFC for you gusy you will need to put chemicals to clean it before). This is due to the fact that, I store the water coming in from pipe in a seperate tank for backup perpose. I use this water to fill the tank and it has stayed in tank for weeks. Clorine will be gone by then and small sedenents would have settled down. Never had any algae problems in freshwater or salt water so far.

Mind you i'm around 3 months of starting point and only had small diatom phase and nothing after. In fact I'm having hard time with almsot no algae in tank to feed my small powder blue tang. the 5 turbo snails I have even don't have anything to eat anymroe .Thinking of just keeping 2 and throwing 3 of them to sea maybe??
This is my tank today. Just spotless.
[/QUOTE]
Doing this to your tap water changes things a lot. Algae scrubbers are very useful. Thank you for a polite response!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back